Items Similar to Georgian Adams-Style Carlton House Marquetry Inlaid Desk by Edwards and Roberts View More
Georgian Adams-Style Carlton House Marquetry Inlaid Desk by Edwards and Roberts
This remarkable 19th century George III satinwood and marquetry "Carlton House" desk presents two structures separated by a large molding, the lower section with three frieze drawers supported by four square tapered legs sitting on brass shoes and casters. The horseshoe upper section presents a brass baluster gallery above an arrangement of six drawers with keyholes, flanked by two concave-shaped cupboards and down-swept lidded compartments above a short drawer on each end. The articulated writing surface is inset with green leather, echoing the colored details inlaid and painted on the several framed and cross-banded panels that adorn the whole piece. The subtle Ancient Rome-inspired decoration of grotesques and scrolling vegetal arabesques burgeoning from urns is characteristic of the neoclassical Adams style taken up by Edwards and Roberts, one of England's leading cabinetmakers at the end of the 19th century. The graceful shape of this Georgian satinwood and marquetry desk, originally designed for the Prince Regent at Carlton House, along with its exquisite inlaid and painted classical decoration, would make it a superb addition to any room.
- In the Style OfAdam Style
- Place of Origin
- Date of ManufactureUnknown
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsAge appropriate wear with some age cracks expected to be seen on an antique piece. The original key is missing. Please look at the various photos available
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 40 in. x W 56 in. x D 26 in.H 101.6 cm x W 142.24 cm x D 66.04 cm
- Seller LocationPalm Desert, CA
- Reference NumberLU166124028553
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 7 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2015
Located in Palm Desert, CA
You may also contact the seller by phone
More From This Seller
1720s French Régence Ormolu, Brass-Inlaid, Tort...
Antique Early 18th Century French Wall Clocks
Ormolu, Brass, Tortoise Shell
A French period Régence Boulle marquetry bracket clock from the early 18th century with Antoine Gaudron movement, ormolu mounts, brass and tortoiseshell inlay and mythological décor....
French Art Deco Rosewood and Ivory Inlaid Settee
Early 20th Century Art Deco Settees
A French Art Deco rosewood and ivory inlaid settee with crest and decking rails and heads of legs inlaid with stylized designs. The canted channel upholstered interior sides and loos...
George III Inlaid Light-Toned Mahogany and Sati...
Antique 18th Century English George III Game Tables
A George III inlaid light-toned mahogany and satinwood card table in the manner of Mayhew and Ince. The D-form cross banded fold-over top opens to reveal a later baize lined playing ...
French Art Deco Period Rosewood and Ivory Inlai...
20th Century French Art Deco Settees
A French rosewood and ivory inlaid settee of trapezoidal Shape in the Art Deco style with mustard upholstery. The rectangular padded backrest features a very refined ivory inlaid dec...