Items Similar to Original Watercolor 'Tim Birkin at Brooklands, 1932' by Roy Nockolds (1911-1979)
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 8
Original Watercolor 'Tim Birkin at Brooklands, 1932' by Roy Nockolds (1911-1979)
A wonderful period watercolor and charcoal on paper depicting Sir Henry ‘Tim’ Birkin in the pits at Brooklands, preparing to start the BARC Meeting in his 'Blower' Bentley. Birkin is seen in his customary attire of dark blue shirt, proudly sporting his British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) badge, pulling on his gloves. Other Brooklands personalities are gathered around him, the centrepiece of the picture being the striking, bright red single-seat Bentley 4 ½-litre ‘Blower’, known as the ‘Outer Circuit’ car after Birkin smashed the lap record in the car, averaging 137.96 mph. In the background can be seen a Bugatti Type 51, possibly that of Earl Howe, co-founder and President of the BRDC, who won the Le Mans 24-hour race that year with Tim Birkin in his Alfa-Romeo. Nockolds (1911-1979) was a talented artist, who really hit his stride by 1932, even at his young age. A Brooklands devotee, and friendly with Birkin and other racing drivers of the time, he had his first solo exhibition in Chelsea in 1934. His pre-war paintings such as this work are highly detailed and established him as the equal of Frederick Gordon Crosby and Bryan de Grineau. Signed by the artist lower left, and framed with a double thick mount, gold leaf frame and glazed.
- CreatorRoy Nockolds (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 18.9 in. (48 cm)Width: 20.87 in. (53 cm)Depth: 0.79 in. (2 cm)
- StyleArt Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1932
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. The watercolour has been conservation framed with an acid-free mount with a gilded bevel. The frame is of plain section, in yellow gold leaf.
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Reference NumberSeller: 66381stDibs: LU868018789662
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$110 Standard Parcel Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 9-11 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Customs Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in London, United Kingdom
5 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 1998
1stDibs seller since 2009
32 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 3 hours
20th Century Specialists
More From This Seller
- By Roy NockoldsLocated in London, GB'Lancaster Bomber' (1945) Signed by the artist and dated 1945, this original and highly atmospheric oil on ca...Category
Vintage 1940s British Other PaintingsMaterials
- By Anthony HoltLocated in London, GBAn extraordinarily detailed and immaculately recreated Sterling silver 1:12 scale model of Bentley’s 1929 superc...Category
2010s European Art Deco Models and MiniaturesMaterials
- By William McDowellLocated in London, GBWilliam John Patton McDowell (British, 1888-1950) ‘R.M.S Queen Mary, Cunard White Star’. A monumental, ori...Category
Vintage 1930s British Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
You May Also Like
Roy Nockolds Lithograph, The Morning Flight
By Roy Nockolds
Located in Pasadena, TX
Roy Nockolds Lithograph, The Morning Flight Roy Nockolds (20th Century British), color lithograph, 1974, titled The Morning Flight. Signed in pencil lower right and signed in the ...
Late 20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Prints
David Mode Payne "Column of Phocas" Original Watercolor, circa 1932
By David Payne
Located in San Francisco, CA
David Mode Payne (American, 1907-1985) "Column of Phocas" original watercolor, circa 1932 Fine original watercolor on paper from the 1930s by noted American artist David Mode Payn...
Early 20th Century Italian Paintings
20th Century Watercolor Painting by Russian Artist David Burliuk, 1932
By David Burliuk
Located in Plymouth, MA
This painting comes from Russian/Ukrainian artist and poet David Burliuk. Created in 1932. Strong brushstrokes and touches of color bring life to this work depicting peasants gatheri...
Vintage 1930s Ukrainian Paintings
Located in Chicago, IL
Just a very nice clean original watercolor, that is signed, but we could not find any information on the artist.
Vintage 1950s American Paintings
1932 Original Oil on Canvas Painting by, Marion Morgan
By Marion Morgan
Located in West Palm Beach, FL
1932 original oil on canvas board painting by, Marion Morgan. Signed lower right, Marion Morgan 1921. Framed in a dark wood stained frame with brown velvet matte. Image size, 13" x 1...
Mid-20th Century American Paintings
Canvas, Wood, Paint
$299 Sale Price
"At the Bar", Watercolor on Paper by A. J. Kristians, France, Art Déco, 1920's
Located in Paris, FR
Watercolor by Antonius Johans Kristians (1883-1957) "at the bar". Watercolor on paper. Signed bottom left. Dimensions: without frame : 49x65cm; with frame : 61x78cm JK Kristians i...
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Paintings
Large, Original, 1979, Paul Jenkins Painting
By Paul Jenkins
Located in Newport Beach, CA
Signed, inscribed, and dated 1979, acrylic-on-canvas painting, "Phenomena Tracking the Shore" by important American artist, Paul Jenkins, (1923-2012). The artist's highly successf...
Vintage 1970s North American Contemporary Art
Original Watercolor Ballerina Painting by Jean Jansem
Located in West Palm Beach, FL
Ink and watercolor painting of a pensive seated ballerina by the French-Armenian artist, Jean Jansem (1920-2013). Provenance, Wally Findlay Gallery, Palm Beach.
20th Century French Paintings
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery