1940s Tiffany & Co. Natural Saltwater Pearl & Diamond Cuff

Buyer Protection Guaranteed

About

An elegant 1940s Tiffany & Co. Natural Saltwater Pearl Cuff Bracelet with two pink natural freshwater pearls and old european-cut diamonds. The cuff is stamped Tiffany & Co. and engraved "Milton - Eugenia - Dec 24 '42".

Details

  • Wear
    Wear consistent with age and use
  • Dimensions
    2.35 in. W x 0.25 in. D x 2.5 in. L
    6 cm W x 1 cm D x 6 cm L
  • Diameter
    6.5
  • Length
    2.5 in. (6 cm)
  • Seller Location
    New York, NY
  • Reference Number
    JU13090646740

About Tiffany & Co.

Tiffany & Co. is one of the most prominent purveyors of luxury goods in the United States, and has long been an important arbiter of style in the design of diamond engagement rings. A young Franklin Delano Roosevelt proposed to his future wife, Eleanor, with a Tiffany ring in 1904. Vanderbilts, Whitneys, Astors and members of the Russian imperial family all wore Tiffany & Co. jewels. And Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis preferred Tiffany china for state dinners at the White House.

Although synonymous with luxury today, the firm started out rather modestly. Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young founded it in Connecticut as a “stationery and fancy goods emporium” in 1837, at a time when European imports still dominated the nascent American luxury market. In 1853, Charles Tiffany — who in 1845 had launched the company’s famed catalog, the Blue Book, and with it, the firm’s signature robin’s-egg blue, which he chose for the cover — shifted the focus to fine jewelry. In 1868, Tiffany & Co. gained international recognition when it became the first U.S. firm to win an award for excellence in silverware at the Exposition Universelle in Paris. From then on, it belonged to the pantheon of American luxury brands.

At the start of the Gilded Age, in 1870, Tiffany & Co. opened its flagship store, described as a "palace of jewels" by the New York Times, at 15 Union Square West in Manhattan. Throughout this period, its designs for silver tableware, ceremonial silver, flatware and jewelry were highly sought-after indicators of status and taste. They also won the firm numerous accolades, including the grand prize for silverware at the Paris Exposition of 1878. Among the firm’s glittering creations from this time are masterworks of Art Nouveau jewelry, such as this delicate aquamarine necklace and this lavish plique-à-jour peridot and gold necklace, both circa 1900.

When Charles Lewis Tiffany died, in 1902, his son Louis Comfort Tiffany became the firm’s design director. Under his leadership, the Tiffany silver studio was a de facto design school for apprentice silversmiths, who worked alongside head artisan Edward C. Moore. The firm produced distinctive objects inspired by Japanese art and design, North American plants and flowers, and Native American patterns and crafts, adding aesthetic diversity to Tiffany & Co.’s distinguished repertoire.

Tiffany is also closely associated with diamonds, even lending its name to one particularly rare and exceptional yellow stone. The firm bought the Tiffany diamond in its raw state from the Kimberley mines of South Africa in 1878. Cut to create a 128.54-carat gem with an unprecedented 82 facets, it is one of the most spectacular examples of a yellow diamond in the world. In a broader sense, Tiffany & Co. helped put diamonds on the map in 1886 by introducing the American marketplace to the solitaire diamond design, which is still among the most popular engagement-ring styles. The trademark Tiffany® Setting raises the stone above the band on six prongs, allowing its facets to catch the light. A lovely recent example is this circa-2000 platinum engagement ring. Displaying a different design and aesthetic (but equally chic) is this exquisite diamond and ruby ring from the 1930s.

About the Seller

1stdibs seller since 2013

Typical response time: 1 hour

Located in New York, NY

More from this Seller

French Ruby Diamond gold Bangle bracelet
French Ruby Diamond gold Bangle bracelet
An exquisite ruby and diamond bangle with a central rectangular arched plaque set with four rows of oval-shaped rubies, framed by baguette-cut diamonds, flanked by brilliant and old Eur...
1930s Art Deco Ruby Diamond Silver Gold Platinum Bracelet
1930s Art Deco Ruby Diamond Silver Gold Platinum B...
Designed as a series of interlocking geometric links set with cushion-shaped, single- and circular-cut diamonds, accented with calibré-cut rubies, length approximately 185mm. Total di...
Diamond Lady's White Gold Bracelet
Diamond Lady's White Gold Bracelet
An elegant diamond bracelet having a maruise diamond weighing approximately 1.10 carat (Est G-SI2), accented by 14 marquise cut diamons totaling approximately 4.70 carat (Est. G-VVS2), ...
1960s Sapphire Diamond Platinum Link Bracelet
1960s Sapphire Diamond Platinum Link Bracelet
An elegant 1960s art deco style link bracelet composed of five rounded squares linked with five elongated octagons studded with approximately three hundred ninety two round brilliant-cu...
Cartier Magnificent Art Deco Sapphire Diamond Platinum Link Bracelet
Cartier Magnificent Art Deco Sapphire Diamond Plat...
Cartier
A magnificent and extremely rare art deco bracelet by Cartier, designed with a broad geometric design centering upon a large natural, no heat cushion shape sapphire accented by baguette...
Cartier Exceptional and Rare Art Deco Diamond Platinum Bracelet
Cartier Exceptional and Rare Art Deco Diamond Plat...
Cartier
An exceptional and rare diamond and platinum openwork bracelet by Cartier, articulated with geometric links set with emerald-cut, princess, baguettes, and half-moon cut diamonds in garl...
Exquisite Green Tourmaline and Gold Bracelet
Exquisite Green Tourmaline and Gold Bracelet
A beautiful collection of six emerald-cut green tourmaline, weighing an estimated forty carats, set in a flexible 18kt yellow gold retro-style bracelet.