- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Elizabeth Locke Carnelian and Red Jasper Earrings
- Stone Cut
- Weight31 g
- DimensionsWidth: 1.07 in (27.18 mm)Length: 1.25 in (31.75 mm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- Place of OriginUnited States
- Date of Manufacture2000
- Seller LocationDarnestown, MD
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU13316150682
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Darnestown, MD
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
Venetian-glass intaglios, ancient Greek and Roman coins, antique porcelain buttons and other treasures that Elizabeth Locke collects from around the world all inspire and are incorporated into her earrings, necklaces and other handmade designs.
The Virginia-based jeweler began her journey as a collector after she’d already launched her namesake jewelry line, and her assemblage of micromosaics, which are essentially miniature plaques composed of enameled-glass tesserae, were the subject of the 2020–21 exhibition “A Return to the Grand Tour: Micromosaic Jewels from the Collection of Elizabeth Locke” at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
“They’re very hard to find, and you never know where you’ll see them,” Locke explains of micromosaics, the magnificent, miniature works for which she’s had to navigate lesser-known antique shops and auctions and build relationships with private dealers in Europe.
All of Locke’s imaginative jewelry pieces see an integration of rare and eclectic materials, the kind that might’ve been amassed during a 19th-century Grand Tour of Europe, when these coming-of-age journeys had long been popular (mostly for wealthy European men). Working in a neoclassical style, Locke references history with a modern approach for her moonstone earrings, gold-link bracelets, Venetian-glass pendants and other distinctive accessories. As she told W magazine, “Jewelry is designed for the era in which it is worn.”
In 1988, as an editor for Town & Country, Locke traveled to Bangkok to write about making jewelry. Unexpectedly, she found her niche. Upon her return home, Locke enrolled in the Gemological Institute of America and began sketching ideas. By 1990, her tourmaline ring — crafted with the goldsmiths she had met in Bangkok and who she would continue to collaborate with over the following decades — landed the cover of W.
Locke’s handmade, 19-karat-gold designs give one-of-a-kind antiquities new meaning in the 21st century. Not one to follow trends, Locke prefers designs that express a unique vision. “I know what I can do and I know what I feel comfortable doing, and I stick to it,” she has said.
Find a collection of Elizabeth Locke’s jewelry on 1stDibs.
- Elizabeth Locke Intaglio Earrings of Woman Playing a LyreBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Darnestown, MDElizabeth Locke earrings with one of her favorite classic themes of a woman playing a lyre. The profiled intaglio figure is etched in green glass and surrounded with gold balls. Belo...Category
Late 20th Century American Contemporary Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
18k Gold$3,850 / setFree Shipping
- Elizabeth Locke Hammered Gold Shrimp EarringsBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Darnestown, MDElizabeth Locke hammered gold shrimp earrings with a bulbous shape. An opening along the length of each side adds a bit of decoration to these earrings that are perfect for dress or ...Category
Early 2000s American Contemporary Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold$4,200 / setFree Shipping
- Elizabeth Locke Channeled Gold Bangle BraceletBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Darnestown, MDElizabeth Locke hinged bangle bracelet in her classic hammered gold finish. The bracelet has raised channel ends and middle. The bracelet is 2 1/4 inches in diameter and 5/8 inches i...Category
Early 2000s American Contemporary BanglesMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold$11,000Free Shipping
- Elizabeth Locke Lapis Lazuli Wide Gold BraceletBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Darnestown, MDStunning wide gold bracelet by Elizabeth Locke with four cabochon lapis lazuli stones. The stones are all square in shape. The bracelet is made with Locke's signature hammered gold ...Category
1990s American Modern BanglesMaterials
Lapis Lazuli, 18k Gold$9,800Free Shipping
- MAUBOUSSIN Gold and Diamond EarringsBy MauboussinLocated in Darnestown, MDTailored Mauboussin half hoop earrings with a touch of bling. Three diamonds are set horizontally on each earring to give some sparkle. Backs are ...Category
Vintage 1970s French Contemporary Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold$3,450Free Shipping
- H. Stern Amethyst and Diamond EarringsBy H. SternLocated in Darnestown, MDTailored amethyst earrings by H. Stern with a hint of sparkle. Eight small diamonds surround the sugarloaf cut amethyst center. Backs are clips and posts.Category
Late 20th Century Brazilian Contemporary Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
18k Gold$2,850 / setFree Shipping
- Elizabeth Locke Moonstone 18 Karat Hammered Gold Man-in-Moon EarringsBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Philadelphia, PAQuatrefoil earrings feature a 12.0 mm round carved hardstone cabochon Translucent white and depicting a stylized man-in-the-moon motif Backed by white mother-of-pearl exhibiting mo...Category
Late 20th Century Contemporary Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
Moonstone, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$5,585Free Shipping
- Elizabeth Locke Yellow Gold Carnelian Intagiio EarringsBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Dallas, TX19 K Yellow Gold Elizabeth Locke Carnelian Intaglio Earrings. Clip Post. Stamped 19K E. Locke 1 inch by .75 inchesCategory
Vintage 1980s American Modern Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Carnelian, Yellow Gold$5,000 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Elizabeth Locke Renaissance Revival High Karat EarringsBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 1990s, 19k, by Elizabeth Locke, New York. Known for her Renaissance Revival motifs, Elizabeth Locke's jewelry is timeless. These earrings feature a hand-hammered finish, stell...Category
1990s American Renaissance Revival Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
Cultured Pearl, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$3,800Free Shipping
- Elizabeth Locke Green Venetian Glass EarringsBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Dallas, TXElizabeth Locke Green Venetian Glass Earrings. Clip Post Earrings. 19K Yellow Gold with Green Venetian Glass 23.3Grams 1 inch by .75 inches.Category
1990s American Modern More EarringsMaterials
Yellow Gold$5,750Free Shipping
- Elizabeth Locke Vintage Peridot 18 Karat Yellow Gold EarringsBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Philadelphia, PAEarrings center bezel set 10.0 mm round cut peridots - transparent and medium lime green in color Accented by a fluted hammered gold surround Completed by hinged omega backs with o...Category
Vintage 1980s Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Peridot, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,375Free Shipping
- Elizabeth Locke Ancient Coin 18 Karat Hammered Yellow Gold EarringsBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Philadelphia, PAEarrings center bezel set 15.0 mm ancient style coins depicting the bust of the Greek god Apollo. Reverse depicts the Greek goddess Demeter with wheat and wreath iconography. With fl...Category
Vintage 1980s Contemporary Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,375Free Shipping