Lalaounis 22k Gold Buckle Ring
About the Item
- Ring Size:6.5 US, Not Resizable
- Weight:8.9 g
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Circa 1960s
- Seller Location:Litchfield, CT
- Reference Number:Seller: 246491stDibs: LU23019347402
It’s fitting that Ilias Lalaounis (1920–2013) is the only jeweler ever inducted into the prestigious Académie des Beaux-Arts — the Greek jeweler’s creations, such as his decorative gold necklaces and rings, are less fashion adornment and more works of art.
Lalaounis was born in Athens in 1920 to a family of goldsmiths and watchmakers with origins in Delphi. Before turning to the family business, Lalaounis studied law, economics, business and music and trained with the painter Alexandros Alexandrakis. Such a well-rounded education laid the foundation for his unique approach to jewelry.
Lalaounis took the helm of his uncle’s jewelry company in 1940. The impact of the Second World War on Greece inspired the jeweler to celebrate his country’s history by reinterpreting its artifacts into new works of art. In 1957, Lalaounis founded the Greek Jewelers’ Association and exhibited at the Thessaloniki International Fair, showcasing the first of his “collections,” as he would come to define his phases of work. This, the Archaeological Collection, was informed by classical and Hellenistic history.
Lalaounis would go on to find new ways to render historic motifs in gold and gemstones after founding his namesake house in 1969. For his 1970s-era collection, Blow Up, he displayed gold pieces inspired by Minoan art on his models’ entire bodies; after opening a store in Tokyo, he presented a collection informed by Japanese art. Later, Lalaounis introduced a collection inspired by Native Americans at his Madison Avenue store in Manhattan. One of the jeweler’s most important commissions came in 1976, when he designed a collection that drew on Persian art for Empress Farah of Iran.
In 1984, Lalaounis explored his unique creative vision with a book, Metamorphoses. By the 1990s, he had stores across Europe as well as in Tokyo, Hong Kong and New York City, and his work had been exhibited at the National Museum of American History and the Penn Museum in Philadelphia, to name a few. In 1994, he founded his own eponymous museum in Athens, with a permanent collection of pieces from 45 of his collections. Lalaounis died in 2013.
Lalaounis’s research-driven approach to jewelry design gives his pieces a depth on par with any art form.
Find an ornate assortment of Ilias Lalaounis’s yellow-gold necklaces, rings and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Litchfield, CT
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Lalaounis Shell Form Earrings 22kBy Ilias LalaounisLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 1960s, 22k, by Ilias Lalaounis, Greece. These high-karat gold earrings have that cool ancient world vibe no one does better than Ilias Lalaounis. From ancient Greece to the cat...Category
Vintage 1960s Greek Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Agate, 22k Gold, Yellow Gold$6,200Free Shipping
- Modernist 18 Karat and 22 Karat Gold Ring circa 1980s AmericanLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 1980s, 18k / 22k, Signed Austin, American. A brilliant landscape of textures, shapes, and colors of gold, this organo chic eighties ring is a hand-made one-of-a-kind. Used by ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modernist Band RingsMaterials
White Diamond, Ruby, 22k Gold, Yellow Gold, Gold, 18k Gold$3,800Free Shipping
- Lalaounis Gold NecklaceBy Ilias LalaounisLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 1970s, 18k, by Ilias Lalaounis, Greece. This boldly stylish gold necklace by Lalaounis revives classic Mycenaean motifs for a look that is as chic...Category
Vintage 1970s Greek Drop NecklacesMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$15,400Free Shipping
- Ebony and Gold Modernist RingLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 1970s, 18k, Italy. Ebony inside rich 18k yellow gold; this ring is all about clean, cool modernity. The style is smart and edgy, vintage chic at its seventies best. Well made, ...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modernist Fashion RingsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$3,000Free Shipping
- Buccellati Diamond-Set Gold RingBy BuccellatiLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 2000s, 18k, by Buccellati, Italy. Renowned for bringing old-world Italian hand-engraved gold work to moments of contemporary fashion, Buccellati jewelry...Category
Early 2000s Italian Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$13,500Free Shipping
- Swiss Modern Gold Ring by GubelinBy GubelinLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 1980s, 18k, by Gubelin, Switzerland. This ring is part of a Swiss modern design style-set where pieces of jewelry, especially rings, were made from...Category
Vintage 1980s Swiss Modernist Fashion RingsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$2,100Free Shipping
- Lalaounis Greece 22k Gold RingBy Ilias LalaounisLocated in New York, NY22k gold ring by Ilias Lalaounis of Greece. Ring size 7.5 (EU 56) , top is 32mm wide. Marked: k22, Lalaounis mark, A21. Weight 10.2 grams.Category
20th Century Greek More RingsMaterials
22k Gold$2,600Free Shipping
- Diamond, 22k Yellow Gold Coil RingLocated in Pleasant Hill, CAFeaturing (2) full-cut diamonds, 0.06 ct., tw., VS, H-I, bezel set in on each terminal, 22k yellow gold coil mounting, 13.7 X 1.2 X 12.6 mm, Gross Weight 5.88 grams, size 7.5 but can...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Artisan Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, 22k Gold, Yellow Gold$999Free Shipping
- Handmade, 22k Gold, Pave Diamond RingLocated in Montclair, NJParis & Lily, one-of-a-kind, handmade, 22K gold, pave diamond ring. The pave diamonds surround a little more than half of the round wire ring band. The brilliant diamonds total .50...Category
2010s American Contemporary Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, 22k Gold$2,900Free Shipping
- Ruby Stacking Ring 22kBy Ico & the Bird Fine JewelryLocated in Los Angeles, CAA 1.79 carat oval ruby stacking ring. Perfect to wear along or stacking with other rings. Ruby is unheated and untreated. A favorite of rulers and kin...Category
2010s Artisan Band RingsMaterials
Ruby, 22k Gold$995Free Shipping
- Peggy Guinness 22k Yellow Gold Sapphire Saddle RingBy Peggy S. GuinnessLocated in Palm Beach, FLBlue sapphire "Saddle" wide band ring in heavyweight 22k yellow gold, designed by Peggy Stephaich Guinness. Bezel-set with six oval-shaped, c...Category
2010s Unknown Modern Band RingsMaterials
Sapphire, Yellow Gold, 22k Gold$6,250Free Shipping
- Art Deco 22k Yellow Gold Wedding Band RingLocated in NEWARK, GBA gorgeous, early Art Deco era 22ct gold band ring or wedding ring. Rich, warm, buttery golden 22ct yellow gold, this lovely hue is only ever found on antique gold and it is so rich...Category
Early 20th Century British Art Deco Band RingsMaterials
22k Gold, Yellow Gold$632Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery