Items Similar to Rare Rodin Watercolour & Pencil on Paper of a Seated Nude - The Cambodian Dancer
- Design Credit: Samantha Todhunter Design Ltd., Photo Credit: Oliver Clarke. Dimensions: H 25 in. x W 20.5 in.
- Design Credit: Lucy Harris Studio, Photo Credit: Francesco Bertocci. Dimensions: H 25 in. x W 20.5 in.
- Design Credit: Timothy Godbold, Photo Credit: Karl Simone. Dimensions: H 25 in. x W 20.5 in.
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 8
Auguste RodinRare Rodin Watercolour & Pencil on Paper of a Seated Nude - The Cambodian Dancer
Auguste RODIN (1840-1917) Seated Nude, Cambodian Dancer c. 1898 - 1900 Pencil and watercolour 11.5 x 9.3 inches; 25 x 20.5 inches, inc. frame Provenance: Christie's South Kensington: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 "It's very simple. My drawings are the key of my art." Rodin was an extraordinary creative artist and a prolific worker. After attending the “Petite École”, he worked in the studio of the ornamentalist Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse, first in Paris, then in Brussels, where his skill in handling decorative subjects fashionable in the 18th century became apparent. His discovery of Michelangelo, during a visit to Italy in 1875-76, was a decisive moment in his career. Rodin would, in turn, break new ground in sculpture, paving the way for 20th-century art, by introducing methods and techniques that were central to his own artistic aesthetics. In 1906, King Sisowath of Cambodia visited France on an official state visit. It was on this visit that Rodin discovered the dancers of the Cambodian Royal Ballet and was inspired to draw and paint them over 150 times. They made a deep impression on the artist, as he confided to Georges Bourdon, in an article for the newspaper Le Figaro on 1 August 1906: “There is an extraordinary beauty, a perfect beauty, about these slow, monotonous dances, which follow the pulsating rhythm of the music… [The Cambodians] have taught me movements I had never come across anywhere before…” Originally seeing them in Paris he left everything suddenly to follow the dancers of the royal ballet to Marseille, from where they would embark on their return to Cambodia. In just one week, he made about one hundred and fifty drawings, re-transcribing or interpreting the ballet poses, with an obvious fascination for the arms and hands of the dancers. These drawings were later highlighted with watercolour, creating coloured harmonies of a rare refinement. The first performance of the Cambodian Royal Ballet took place in the context of the Colonial Exhibition in Marseille. Sisowath 1st had just been crowned King of Cambodia when he undertook the first trip ever to be made by a Cambodian sovereign to France, which had controlled Cambodia since June 1884. This official visit occurred at the height of French colonial expansion. Previously, the Universal Exhibition of 1900 had attracted 48 million visitors! The organisers realised what a tremendous impact this event made on the public, and it was soon adopted as the main tool for colonial propaganda. At the exhibition in Marseilles, the area devoted to Indochina was the largest of the seven sections. When Auguste Rodin met the troupe of dancers for the first time in July 1906, during their brief visit to Paris for an exceptional performance at the Pré Catalan theatre, it was like a revelation to him. He was struck by the timeless and universal nature of the movements of this dance, which transformed this relatively unknown form of art into a manifestation of the universal principle of the “unity of nature” through time and space. This encounter came as such a shock to Rodin that he immediately started a first series of drawings. However, the dancers were expected elsewhere, and Rodin, therefore, dropped everything to follow them to Marseille, not even taking with him the necessary paper and drawing material. Rodin likened the dancers to “those engraved in the stone ten centuries ago,” his renderings also modernized his subjects, using them as a starting point for invention and experimentation. To Rodin, as to his compatriots, the Cambodian Royal Ballet seemed to be the direct descendants of a hazy and ever-receding pre-modern world. In sketching the dancers, Rodin created his own colonial myth.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in London, United Kingdom
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 1990
1stDibs seller since 2017
38 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: Several days
More From This SellerView All
- C 20th Portrait of Female Nude by Hollywood favourite Vargas: 'Reclining Nude'By Alberto VargasLocated in London, GBAlberto Vargas was a Peruvian artist best known for his drawings and paintings of pin-up girls that were featured in many notable publications in the 20th century including Esquire a...Category
Late 20th Century Nude Drawings and WatercolorsMaterials
- 20th Century Watercolour Painting - At the Fish MarketBy William Lee HankeyLocated in London, GBWilliam LEE-HANKEY (1869-1952, British) At the Fish Market 1904 pencil, watercolor, bodycolor w/gum arabic 20 x 20 inches, inc. frame Provenance: The Swan Gallery, Dorset Will...Category
Early 20th Century Romantic Figurative Drawings and WatercolorsMaterials
- Early 20th Century Neo-Impressionist Portrait Drawing on Paper - Figural StudiesBy Henri Edmond CrossLocated in London, GBHenri-Edmond Cross Figural Studies Graphite and charcoal on paper 18 7/8 x 14 1/4 inches; 47.5 x 35 cm 26.5 x 31 inches; 67.3 x 78.7 cm inc. frame Henri Edmond Cross (May 20, 1856 -...Category
Late 19th Century Post-Impressionist Figurative Drawings and WatercolorsMaterials
- Gorgeous 19th Century Watercolour of a Horse-Drawn Carriage in the SnowLocated in London, GBWilliam Barnes Wollen RI ROI (6 October 1857 – 28 March 1936) Horse-Drawn Carriage in the Snow Watercolour on Paper Signed and Dated 'W.B.Wollen - 1922' 24 x 32 Inches, FramedCategory
1920s Animal PaintingsMaterials
- Beautiful 19th century Oil on Panel Landscape by Richard HilderBy Richard H. HilderLocated in London, GBRichard Hilder (1813-1852) Pastoral Landscape Oil on Panel 10 X 16 inches, Framed Provenance: Important Private Collection Richard H. Hilder was a landscape painter and occasional ...Category
Early 19th Century Landscape PaintingsMaterials
- 19th Century Portrait of Jerry and Dot a Pair Two Naughty FriendsBy Imogen Mary CollierLocated in London, GBImogen Mary Collier (1873-1952) Portrait of Jerry and Dot Circa. 1895-1900 Oil on Canvas 49 X 42.5 Imogen Mary Collier (1873-1952) was born in 1873 at Whitchurch, Devon, England. S...Category
1890s Victorian Animal PaintingsMaterials
You May Also Like
- "Boating on the Morin River"By André Dunoyer de SegonzacLocated in Saint Amans des cots, FRPen, ink, watercolor and wash on paper by André Dunoyer de Segonzac, France, 1922-1924. Boating on the Morin River. Measurements : with frame: 52.5x65x2 cm - 20.7x25.6x0.8 inches / w...Category
1920s Realist Figurative Drawings and WatercolorsMaterials
Paper, Ink, Watercolor, Pen
- Two Reclining Nudes, Raphael Soyer - DRAWING/SIGNEDBy Raphael SoyerLocated in Mount Clemens, MIRAPHAEL SOYER (1899-1987) Referred to as an American scene painter, Soyer is best known for his compassionate, naturalistic depictions of urban subjects. His sensitive, penetrating p...Category
1980s Realist Figurative Drawings and WatercolorsMaterials
Watercolor, Graphite$2,076 Sale Price20% Off
- Untitled NudeBy Philip PearlsteinLocated in New York, NYPhilip Pearlstein Male Nude Sepia Drawing, 1968 Ink wash on paper Signed and dated on the front Terrific unique work by one of the most important and iconic figurative artists in the...Category
1960s Realist Nude Drawings and WatercolorsMaterials
- untitled / ohne TitelBy Martin EderLocated in New York, NYMartin Eder untitled work on paper executed in ballpoint pen with traces of watercolor. Ohne Titel Arbeit auf Papier, ausgeführt in Kugelschreiber mit Spuren von Aquarell. 2007Category
Early 2000s Realist Nude Drawings and WatercolorsMaterials
Ink, Watercolor, Pen
- Water Sports - Nude Swimmers and Bathers at Coney IslandBy Reginald MarshLocated in Miami, FLHistorically, academic artists have always featured the central figures in their composition in a prominent light with the background figures being darker. In water sports, Reginal...Category
1940s Realist Figurative Drawings and WatercolorsMaterials
India Ink, Watercolor
- BallerinaBy Charles KifferLocated in San Francisco, CAThis artwork titled "Ballerina" c.1950 is a watercolor on paper by French noted artist Charles Kiffer, 1902-1992. It has the estate stamp of the artist on the back. The artwork size ...Category
Mid-20th Century Realist Figurative Drawings and WatercolorsMaterials