Carlos Nadal"Teatro Comedor", 20th Century Oil on Canvas by Spanish Artist Carlos Nadal
About the Item
- Creator:Carlos Nadal (1917-1998, Spanish)
- Creation Year:1986
- Dimensions:Height: 31.89 in (81 cm)Width: 39.38 in (100 cm)
- More Editions & Sizes:81 x 100 cm.Price: $48,589
- Movement & Style:
- Gallery Location:Madrid, ES
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1281111174082
Carlos Nadal was born in Paris in 1917. Within four years, his family moved to Barcelona.
Nadal’s father owned a commercial design workshop. There he began to work as an apprentice and learned to paint in his early teens. He took art classes at a school on Barcelona’s Calle Caspe. In 1935 Nadal won three awards, including an award from the Watercolors Association of Barcelona, the Mural Composition Count Lavern and the Masriera prize. A year later, Nadal received a scholarship from the Barcelona City Council and because of which he was able to attend the Escola Superior de Belles Arts de Sant Jordi.
Nadal exhibited for the first time in a collective exhibition at the Galeries Dalmau in 1941, and he had his first solo exhibition at La Pinacoteca in Barcelona in 1944. In 1946 the Barcelona City Council again granted him a scholarship to continue his education in Paris at École des Beaux-Arts. In the French capital, he took part in the Autumn Salons.
In 1948 Nadal married the Belgian sculptor Flore Joris and moved to live in Belgium. Here, he stated that he discovered the effects of light on painting and the use of color that would already be a distinctive sign of his work. The influence of Fauvism on Nadal’s paintings was remarkably clear. There was continuous success for the artist in Belgium and he remained very active, exhibiting there as well as in France, Spain, Amsterdam and the United States. His subjects were varied and included beaches, urban landscapes, natural landscapes, seascapes and more.
In 1954 Nadal exhibited with great success at Kunstverein Düsseldorf and at the Royal Academy in London, and won the painting prize at the International SPA Contest. During the same year, he met Pablo Picasso on the Côte d'Azur and began a great friendship with the artist. Nadal’s work can be found in the Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art, the Royal Museum of Brussels and more.
Find a collection of Carlos Nadal art on 1stDibs.
(Biography provided by Galeria Luis Carvajal)
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Madrid, Spain
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- "Interieur aux Fleurs Jaunes" 20th Century Oil on Canvas by Emilio Grau SalaBy Emilio Grau SalaLocated in Madrid, ESEMILIO GRAU SALA Spanish, 1911 - 1975 INTERIEUR AUX FLEURS JAUNES signed "Grau Sala" (lower left) signed again, located, dated and titled "Grau Sala, Paris 61, Interieur aux fleurs j...Category
1960s Fauvist Interior PaintingsMaterials
- "Les Musiciens", 20th Century Oil on Canvas by Spanish Artist Celso LagarBy Celso LagarLocated in Madrid, ESCELSO LAGAR Spanish, 1891 - 1966 LES MUSICIENS signed "Lagar" (lower right) signed again, located & dated "Lagar / Paris 1928" (on the reverse) oil on canvas 23-3/4 x 28-3/4 inches ...Category
1920s Fauvist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- "La Colection", 20th Century Acrylic on Canvas by Spanish Artist Carlos NadalBy Carlos NadalLocated in Madrid, ESCARLOS NADAL Spanish, 1917 - 1998 LA COLECTION signed & titled "LA COLECTION, Nadal" (on the reverse) with the atelier stamp (on the reverse) acrylic on canvas 25-5/8 x 31-7/8 inches (65 x 81 cm.) framed: 32-5/8 x 38-3/8 inches (83 x 97.5 cm.) EXHIBITED London, Messum´s Gallery, The Spirit of Barcelona, Spring 1955, no. 40 (illustrated). PROVENANCE Galería Vicenç Piera, Barcelona. Private Collection, Barcelona. Acquired from the above by the present owner in 2004. Sale: Christie´s London, Thrusday 10 February, 2011, lot 530, illustrated (This painting is sold with a photo-certificate from the Comité Nadal). NOTE: 18th Century French carved and gilt wood frame Carlos Nadal was born in Paris in 1917, in 1921 at the age of four he moved with his family to Barcelona. He was formed at the School of La Lonja. In 1935 he won three awards: the one of the Watercolors Association of Barcelona, the Mural Composition Count Lavern and the Masriera prize. In 1936 he received a scholarship from the Barcelona City...Category
1990s Fauvist Interior PaintingsMaterials
- "Les Fumeurs", 20th Century Oil on Cardboard by Spanish Artists Francisco BoresBy Francisco BoresLocated in Madrid, ESFRANCISCO BORES Spanish, 1898 - 1972 LES FUMEURS signed & dated "Borès 35" (lower right) titled in pencil "Les Fumeurs", unfinished sketch (head), signed & dated "Bores 36" (on the reverse) oil on cardboard 10-5/8 x 13-3/4 inches (27 x 35 cm.) framed: 15-1/2 x 18-1/2 inches (39.5 x 47 cm.) NOTE: THIS WORK IS ACCOMPANIED BY A CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY ISSUED BY “ARCHIVO FRANCISCO BORES”. BIBLIOGRAPHY: Francisco Bores, Reasoned Catalogue, Volume I - Painting 1917-1944, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid, 2003, n° 1935 / 49, reproduced in color p. 281 PROVENANCE Carmen Bores Collection, Francisco Bores daughter Francisco Bores López (Madrid, May 5, 1898 - Paris, May 10, 1972) was a Spanish painter of the so-called New School of Paris. His artistic training originated both in the Cecilio Pla painting academy, where he met Pancho Cossío, Manuel Ángeles Ortiz...Category
1930s Cubist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- "Espagnoles, 1971", 20th Century Oil on Canvas by Artist Emilio Grau SalaBy Emilio Grau SalaLocated in Madrid, ESEMILIO GRAU SALA Spanish, 1911 - 1975 ESPAGNOLES, 1971 signed "Grau Sala" (lower left) signed again, dated and titled "Grau Sala, 1971, espagnoles" (on the reverse) oil on canvas 1...Category
1970s Post-Impressionist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- "Évocation Méditerranéenne", 20th Century Oil on Canvas by Emilio Grau SalaBy Emilio Grau SalaLocated in Madrid, ESEMILIO GRAU SALA Spanish, 1911 - 1975 ÉVOCATION MÉDITERRAÉENNE signed "Grau Sala" (lower left) signed again, dated and titled "GRAU SALA, 1964, Evocation mediterraéne" (on the rev...Category
1960s Post-Impressionist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- Red Couch, Black Cat - Contemporary Fauvist Interior Scene in Primary ColorsBy Jonathan TaylorLocated in Soquel, CAFun and colorful contemporary Fauvist interior scene of a black cat lounging on a red couch in a brightly hued room in primary colors, by Jonathan Taylor (American, b.1966). Signed...Category
2010s Fauvist Interior PaintingsMaterials
Canvas, Oil, Cardboard
- At cafe 1950, cardboard, oil, 51x71 cmLocated in Riga, LVAt cafe 1950, cardboard, oil, 51x71 cm The main focus of the artwork is a stylized representation of a cafe scene. The artist's intention is to capture the vibrant and lively atmos...Category
1950s Fauvist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- Femme à l'ouvrage - Post Impressionist Pastel, Figure in Interior by Jean PeskeBy Jean PeskeLocated in Marlow, BuckinghamshireA stunning pastel on board circa 1900 by French Fauvist painter Jean Peske. The piece depicts a woman in a purple dress sitting at a desk beside a large win...Category
Early 20th Century Fauvist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- bathers (the kiss), female nude figures indoor pool green grey tonesBy Stephen BassoLocated in Brooklyn, NYfemale bathers by visionary artist Stephen BassoCategory
Early 2000s Fauvist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- Polish French Fauvist Judaica Oil Painting Rabbi at PrayerBy Frederick B. SergerLocated in Surfside, FLGenre: Impressionist Subject: People Medium: Oil Surface: Panel Frederick Serger (given name Frederick Bedrick Sinaberger) was born in 1889 to a family of Jewish manufacturers in t...Category
1940s Fauvist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- Living Room of the Artist by Ludovic-Rodo Pissarro - Oil interior paintingBy Ludovic-Rodo PissarroLocated in London, GB*UK BUYERS WILL PAY AN ADDITIONAL 20% VAT ON TOP OF THE ABOVE PRICE Living Room of the Artist by Ludovic-Rodo Pissarro (1878-1952) Oil on panel 38.5 x 46.5 cm (15 ¹/₈ x 18 ¹/₄ inche...Category
1930s Fauvist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery