Items Similar to The Captive View More
Fernand CormonThe Captive
Despite the stationary central figures, the piece contains an abundance of movement and action, from the rearing horse in the background to the injured man at the feet of the central figures. The stillness and submissive pose of the captive woman are a sharp contrast to the remnants of the fight around her. Her face hidden in her arms in a gesture of fear and anguish as she hovers on the brink of collapse. Signed 'F. Corman' lower left. Provenance: Tajan, Paris, sale of May 15, 2001, lot 106 From a Prominent Midwest Estate
- ArtistFernand Cormon (1845 - 1924, French)
- Movement & Style
- Condition DetailsThe relined canvas in fair overall condition, with tiny missing chips of painting and areas of localized retouching, including to parts of figures, background and foreground
- DimensionsH 16 in. x W 13 in.H 40.64 cm x W 33.02 cm
- Gallery LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference NumberLU69632038293
- More Editions & SizesFrame: 21 1/4 x 18 x 1 1/2 in. Price: $4,200
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 7 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
No Reviews Yet
1stdibs seller since 2017
Located in Philadelphia, PA
More From This Seller
Harem Woman with Group of Arabs
Nicolas Edward Gabé
Mid-19th Century Academic Figurative Paintings
Gabe’s use of shadow and light draws the eye immediately to the pale and fearful woman in the center of the piece, rendering the men’s features indistinguishable and heightening the ...
Marcel Andrée Rondenay
20th Century Mannerist Figurative Paintings
A tender and expressive scene depicting a mother and her two young children. The baby is content in the mother’s arms, while the older child tugs on her drapery, eyes anguished. Sign...
Family at Dinner
20th Century Figurative Paintings
Oil on canvas, framed.
Dancing in the Moonlight
1980s Pop Art Figurative Paintings
An art deco style pop art portrait of a lady and gentlemen sharing a dance. Unframed.