Items Similar to 20th C, Louis François Decoeur (Namen 1884 – Namen 1960), Rue Animée
- Design Credit: Samantha Todhunter Design Ltd., Photo Credit: Oliver Clarke. Dimensions: H 39.38 in. x W 31.5 in.
- Design Credit: Lucy Harris Studio, Photo Credit: Francesco Bertocci. Dimensions: H 39.38 in. x W 31.5 in.
- Design Credit: Timothy Godbold, Photo Credit: Karl Simone. Dimensions: H 39.38 in. x W 31.5 in.
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 10
20th C, Louis François Decoeur (Namen 1884 – Namen 1960), Rue Animée
The Namur painter and engraver, Louis Decoeur (1884-1960) became a member of “L’Effort” around 1910. This artist's association provided a free studio for painters in Brussels, on the first floor of a building located at Quai au Bois à Brûler number 31. Here innovative artists who the official salons did not appreciate were given a forum. The members of "L'Effort" opposed academism. Some names of artists who have worked in the studio spaces of "L'Effort" are: Jean Brusselmans, Henri Ramah, Ferdinand Schirren, Louis Thévenet and Rik Wouters. Many painters who came together at the Quai au Bois à Brûler formed a group of Brabant fauvists. Just like the fauvists, Decoeur paints clearly defined areas of colour. In this work, he uses the cloisonné style in which he outlines his shapes with noticeable black contours. His synthetic style evolves towards expressionism which sometimes recalls the work of Brusselmans. One of the favourite themes of the expressionists was the 'modern metropolis' and primarily the phenomenon of alienation that accompanied it. For this painting, Decoeur also chose the theme of the city, where people walk around anonymously. Unlike many expressionists, he certainly did not leave the laws of classical perspective with a vanishing point in the distance. The synthesis and abstraction of the form are present. Just like photographers, the painter is not afraid to cut off figures, like the two men in the foreground. They serve as repoussoir figures to push the other image elements to the depth.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: brussel, Belgium
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in brussel, Belgium
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
1stDibs seller since 2021
5 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 3 hours
More From This SellerView All
- Farming Family on a Sunday Morning, Oil on Canvas. Framed and SignedLocated in brussel, BEThe Namur painter and engraver, Louis Decoeur (1884-1960) became a member of “L’Effort” around 1910. This artist’s association provided a free studio for painters in Brussels, on the...Category
20th Century Fauvist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- 19th C, Romanticism, English School, Romantic Landscape with strolling MotherLocated in brussel, BEIn this English landscape, dialogue with nature is central. A lady walks with her son in the countryside, far away from the busy city life and industry. The scene is in line with the...Category
19th Century Romantic Landscape PaintingsMaterials
- 17th Century, Baroque, Forest Landscape with Waterfall, Oil on Canvas, FramedLocated in brussel, BEA stream with waterfalls finds its way through a rocky forest landscape. Such more rugged landscapes focusing on the power of nature were very successful in the Netherlands during th...Category
17th Century Baroque Landscape PaintingsMaterials
- 17th C., Baroque, Genre Painting, Stop of the TravelersLocated in brussel, BEAs the Dutch painter Philips Wouwerman often did, this artist painted travellers stopping at an inn or a farm. One of the men got off his horse to urinate against the facade of the b...Category
17th Century Baroque Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- 17th C, Landscape, Flemish School, Countryside with Figures at a Small RiverLocated in brussel, BEThe painter of this early 17th-century landscape worked in the style of the Antwerp painter Joos de Momper (Antwerp, 1564-Antwerp,1635). Both men applied the atmospheric perspective....Category
17th Century Flemish School Landscape PaintingsMaterials
- 18th C, Portrait of a Lady, Elisabeth Carter, Oil on Canvas, 92 x 71 cm, Framed.By Joshua ReynoldsLocated in brussel, BESir Joshua Reynolds (16 July 1723 - 23 February 1792) was a leading 18th-century English portrait painter and President of the Royal Academy from 1769 to 1792. He was born on 16 July...Category
18th Century English School Figurative PaintingsMaterials
You May Also Like
- Plaza nueva Barcelona Spain oil on canvas painting urbanscapeBy Ignasi MundóLocated in Barcelona, BarcelonaIgnasi Mundó Marcet (1918-2012) - Plaza Nueva Barcelona Spain - Oil on canvas Canvas measures 73x60 cm. Frameless. MUNDO Ignasi Ignasi Mundó trained at the School of La Lonja, with ...Category
1980s Fauvist Landscape PaintingsMaterials
- "Gerona Landscape",20th Century Oil on Canvas by Catalan Artist Josep de TogoresBy Josep de TogoresLocated in Madrid, ESJOSEP DE TOGORES Spanish, 1893 - 1970 GERONA LANDSCAPE signed "Togores" (lower left) oil on canvas 19-3/4 x 25-3/4 inches (50 x 65 cm.) framed: 27-7/8 x 33-3/4 inches (70.5 x 85.5 cm...Category
1940s Fauvist Landscape PaintingsMaterials
- "Fairgoers in front of roulottes", 20th Century Oil on Canvas by Celso LagarBy Celso LagarLocated in Madrid, ESCELSO LAGAR Spanish, 1891 - 1966 FAIRGOERS IN FRONT OF ROULOTTES signed "Lagar" (lower right) oil on canvas 18-1/4 x 15 inches (46 x 38 cm.) framed: 29-1/4 x 26 inches (74 x 66 cm.) ...Category
1930s Fauvist Landscape PaintingsMaterials
- "Forains sur la Plage", 20th Century Oil on Canvas by Artist Celso LagarBy Celso LagarLocated in Madrid, ESCELSO LAGAR Spanish, 1891 - 1966 FORAINS SUR LA PLAGE signed "Lagar" (lower right) oil on canvas 11-1/2 x 16-1/8 inches (29 x 41 cm.) PROVENANCE Private French Collector Celso Laga...Category
1950s Fauvist Landscape PaintingsMaterials
- "Les Courses", 20th Century Oil on Canvas by Spanish Artist Carlos NadalBy Carlos NadalLocated in Madrid, ESCARLOS NADAL Spanish, 1917 - 1998 LES COURSES signed & dated "Nadal, 80´" (lower right) signed again & titled "LES COURSES, Nadal, 80´" (on the reverse) oil on canvas 25 -3/4 x 21 -3...Category
1980s Fauvist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- procession, seashore, beach, colorful, humor, female figure, bather green tonesBy Stephen BassoLocated in Brooklyn, NYBlending surrealistic elements with narrative, Mr. Basso is known for wildly imaginative and colorful work.Category
1980s Fauvist Figurative PaintingsMaterials