"Loon" is a stunning example of Neil Welliver's trademark landscape style. This colored etching depicts a loon, an aquatic bird, sitting in the deep evergreen and light blue waters, surely a lake or marsh near the artist's Maine home. Image size: 23 1/2 x 23 1/2 in. Landscape painter Neil Welliver was born in 1929 in Millville, Pennsylvania. He attended the Philadelphia College of Art, and then went on to receive his MFA from Yale University. There, Welliver studied with abstract artist Josef Albers who had a significant influence on his work. He began his teaching career first at the Cooper Union, and then at his alma mater, Yale, from 1956-1966. He also became the chairman of the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School Of Fine Art. Welliver’s style evolved from color field painting to more realistic depictions of New England landscapes, most notably in Maine. He settled there in 1970, but commuted to UPENN for his classes from 1966-1989. His life was marked by frequent tragedies. In 1975, a fire consumed his entire home, studio, and all of his art. Over the next few years, his second wife, daughter, and two sons all died. He is survived by his other three sons. His work is in several museum collections, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art; the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; the Art Institute of Chicago; the Philadelphia Museum of Art; and the Whitney Museum of American Art. He died in 2005 in Belfast, Maine.
- Creation Year1998
- Condition DetailsVery good condition. Image is in excellent condition. Minor handling dents on the upper corners of the sheet.
- DimensionsH 29.75 in. x W 29.63 in.H 75.57 cm x W 75.27 cm
- Gallery LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberLU29322919213
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with the seller on your behalf to ensure you're satisfied with the resolution. Read more
Delivery, Returns & Payment
- DeliveryRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
No Reviews Yet
1stdibs seller since 2015
Located in New York, NY
International Fine Print Dealers Association
You may also contact the seller by phoneCall seller through 1stdibs
More From This Seller
You May Also Like
Neil WelliverFrom Zeke's Place, Maine Landscape, Original Lithograph, 1976
$2,200 Sale Price
From Zeke's Place, Maine Landscape, Original Li...
The Vraic Season (No 1).
Peacocks (Upright Plate)
Edward Julius Detmold