Carlos Falchi Vintage Long Purple Leather Gloves w/ Pointillism Style Flowers
About the Item
In the 1960s, Falchi started by making leather clothing — bleaching snakeskin in his tub — for rock stars and jazz artists like Mick Jagger, Tina Turner and Miles Davis. But when he turned his attention to handbags, persuaded by Geraldine Stultz, the president of Henri Bendel, he found his true calling.
In a world flush with iconic “It” handbags, Falchi’s bags are distinctive and eye-catching, with soft, pliable forms, dazzling patchwork designs and dyed skins from exotic animals such as alligators, frogs, buffalo and water snakes. Even though he was a self-taught artisan, Falchi managed to reinvent the approach that yields the stiff, formal structure typically associated with the upright handbags of European luxury houses. His groundbreaking and oft-imitated Buffalo bag, an unconstructed and lightweight satchel made from a single skin with only two seams and a gathered front, went on to garner universal success for the craftsman, with Women’s Wear Daily deeming it “the most copied bag in the industry.” For his celebrated slouchy bag, Falchi was inspired by the draping techniques he learned while attending art school in Japan. In 1983, he won a Coty American Fashion Critics Award for the accessory.
Falchi made his clutches, shoulder bags and top-handled bags by hand in his New York City atelier, and the designer’s work garnered praise from fashion legends such as Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Barbra Streisand and Sarah Jessica Parker. In the years leading up to his death in 2015, Falchi began to sell inexpensive versions of his handbags on the Home Shopping Channel. A sampling of his work is held today in the permanent collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Find a range of vintage Carlos Falchi handbags and purses on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Portland, OR
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Rare Carlos Falchi Blue Leather Opera Gloves w Hand Pointed Floral Mini DotsBy Carlos FalchiLocated in Portland, ORThese Carlos Falchi opera length long gloves are blue leather with hand painted pointilism style flowers on the top. The dots that create these flowers are a range of blues, purples ...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Gloves
- Rare Gianfranco Ferre Vintage Soft Leather Gloves w Braided & Fringe StrawBy Gianfranco FerréLocated in Portland, ORFrom our favorite blouse designer, Gianfranco Ferre is also a master of accessories! We have always loved his gloves and this particular pair is exceptional! These vintage buttery ...Category
1990s Italian Gloves
- Loewe Vintage Brown Leather Silk Lined GlovesBy LoeweLocated in Portland, ORThese lovely vintage gloves from Loewe are in a rich brown leather and are lined in a super luxurious cream silk. Vintage gloves make really great, sustainable gifts and these were ...Category
1970s British Gloves
- Christian Dior Vintage Ladies Sea Island I Magnin GlovesBy Christian DiorLocated in Portland, ORThis is a lovely pair of vintage Christian Dior Sea Island cotton gloves from the 1970's. The gloves are in a pretty lighter brown beige color and were made in France. There is decor...Category
1970s European Gloves
- Patricia Underwood New York Blue and White Vintage Coated Straw Summer HatBy Patricia UnderwoodLocated in Portland, ORThis is a wonderful vintage hat from Patricia Underwood! We love her vintage hts and love finding them in the estates we acquire. They are always beautifully made and so modern and w...Category
1990s Italian Hats
- Laura Biagiotti Gold Rim Vintage Sunglasses FramesBy Laura BiagiottiLocated in Portland, ORThese are lovely Laura Biagiotti gold rim sunglasses. The lenses are prescription so you would need to have them changed to fit your personal need...Category
1990s Italian Sunglasses
- Documented Courrèges Haute Couture Wool Set, Fall-Winter 1969-1970By André CourrègesLocated in Geneva, CHAndré Courrèges opened the haute couture to the Pop culture. Giving priority to geometric lines and shapes, the sculptural designs feature a mix of simplicity with Parisian chic. T...Category
1960s French Scarves
- Chanel Light Blue Leather CC Chain Gloves Size 8By ChanelLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2These gloves from Chanel are crafted from quality materials and are comfortable to wear. Create a super-stylish winter look with this pair! Includes: Original BoxCategory
2010s French Gloves
- Leopard Pattern French Kid GlovesLocated in New Hope, PAMade from two different leathers these French gloves are quite charming. The body of the glove and three fingers are a creamy white leather. The ring finger and pinky are made from a...Category
1950s French Gloves
- Torso Creations "Celestial Hippie" Airbrushed Vintage Steel Blue Leather GlovesBy Torso CreationsLocated in Gresham, ORTorso Creations "Celestial Hippie" airbrushed vintage steel blue leather gloves. unlined. Size 7.5Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Gloves
- Torso Creations "Celestial Hippie" Airbrushed Vintage Caramel Leather GlovesBy Torso CreationsLocated in Gresham, ORTorso Creations "Celestial Hippie" airbrushed vintage caramel leather gloves. Jersey lined. Size 7.5Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Gloves
- Yves Saint Laurent Chic Embossed Purple Leather Gloves Size 7 c 1980sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in University City, MOYves Saint Laurent Chic embossed purple leather gloves c 1980s The stylish gloves are designed with muted dark purple embossed leather that emulates reptile skin The exterior undern...Category
Late 20th Century French Gloves