- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Bill Blass "Fall Foliage" With Black Borders Silk Scarf
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2477270862
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Iconic Bill Blass Black & White Checkered Signature Logo Silk ScarfBy Bill BlassLocated in New York, NYIconic Bill Blass black & White checkered signature logo silk scarf measures 23 inches by 23 inches, with hand-rolled edges. Made in Italy.Category
1980s Italian Bandannas
- Rare Iconic Bill Blass Taupe & Ivory with Rainbow Stripes Borders Silk ScarfBy Bill BlassLocated in New York, NYThis rare iconic Bill Blass taupe and ivory accented with rainbow stripes borders and hand-rolled edges measures 29 inches by 28 inches. Made in Japan.Category
1970s Japanese Scarves
- Diane Von Furstenberg "Floral & Multi Plaid" Silk ScarfBy Diane von FurstenbergLocated in New York, NYDiane Von Furstenberg wonderfully elegant "Floral & Multi Plaid" silk scarf with rolled edges, measures 31 inches by 30 inches. Made in Japan.Category
1980s Japanese Scarves
- Adolfo "Midnight Black With Bursting Florals" Silk ScarfBy AdolfoLocated in New York, NYAdolfo wonderfully elegant "Midnight Black with Bursting Florals" silk scarf measures 33 inches by 32 inches. Hand-rolled edges, and made in Italy.Category
1980s Italian Scarves
- Krizia Majestic Black & Steel Gray Leopard Print Silk ScarfBy KriziaLocated in New York, NYKrizia wonderfully detailed majestic black and steel gray leopard print silk scarf is accented with hand-rolled edges and measures 34 inches by 34 inches. Made in Italy.Category
1990s Italian Scarves
- Rich Burgundy "Floral Entwined With Palseys" Silk ScarfLocated in New York, NYThis wonderfully detailed and glorious in color, burgundy "Floral entwined with Palseys" silk scarf accented with hand-rolled edges, measures 34 inches by 34 inches. Made in I...Category
1980s Italian Scarves
- 1970 Frankie Welch - London Silk Graphic Scarf w/ Maltese Cross & Crown PatternLocated in San Francisco, CA1970s Frankie Welch - London Maltese cross and crown graphic pattern silk scarf. Frankie Welch is well known as a graphic designer of artistic and soc...Category
1970s British Scarves
- Hermes Grey Chaine d'Ancre Scarf RingBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZAn iconic Hermès Hermès scarf ring, chaine d’ancre design in a a dark grey. This essential Hermès accessory complements any outfit. It can be worn...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Scarves
- Helen Leigh Silk Neck Scarf Classical Armorial Design from Italian CollectionLocated in Chillerton, Isle of WightHelen Leigh Silk Neck Scarf Classical Armorial Design from the Italian Collection Lovely scarf with Crown set in a central cartouche, this denotes ...Category
1990s Italian Bandannas
- Dolce & Gabbana Multicolor Silk Tropical Flowers Majolica Mini Silk Scarf TieBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in WELWYN, GBDolce & Gabbana silk mini scarf Size 5cmx100cm. 100% Silk Theme : multicolour flowers Maiolica. Brand new with tags! Please check my other DG clothing & accessories!Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Scarves
- 1990s Christian Dior Cabbage Bag Houndstooth Print ScarfBy Christian DiorLocated in London, GB1990's Christian Dior mini scarf handkerchief / pocket square / neckerchief featuring catching Cannage Dior bags and Dior name check in a corner, cotton This scarf is made with prem...Category
1990s French Scarves
- 1990s Moschino Forever Chequered Heart Print Gold Silk ScarfBy MoschinoLocated in London, GBAbsolutely stunning vintage Moschino pure silk large square scarf featuring love hearts adorn the corners, with 'Moschino Forever' against a cloudy blue sky, in a gold frame in the middle, black and white playing card clubs...Category
1990s Italian Scarves$125Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery