Christian Louboutin 1st Edition Hardcover Book for Rizzoli c 2011
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 13.25 in (33.66 cm)Length: 10.25 in (26.04 cm)
- Style:High Fashion (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:China
- Period:21st Century
- Material Notes:The hardcover book is an archive of Christian Louboutin's extraordinary shoe designs
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good pre-owned condition. The cover has some scuff marks. The interior spine seam has a small tear.
- Seller Location:University City, MO
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU7367154032
The iconic red-soled shoes by Christian Louboutin (b. 1963) have made it onto almost every red carpet since the French designer opened his first boutique in Paris in 1992. His fantastical heels have gained attention and praise for their provocative heights and arching shapes, leading the designer to be nicknamed the “King of Stilettos.”
Since childhood, Louboutin was artistic; he began sketching shoes at the age of 10 and later studied drawing at the Académie d’Art Roederer. However, it was the regular visits to the Musée national des Arts d’Afrique et d’Océanie, then in the Palais de la Porte Dorée, that inspired his interest in women’s shoes. Growing up in the Paris neighborhood of the museum, he regularly spent weekends there and became fascinated by a sign asking women not to wear heels on account of the antique wooden floors. The severe arch of the heel on the sign and the violent red slash through it inspired him to think about shoes as something that could be dangerous and powerful in their allure. As he has said, “I wanted to create something that broke rules and made women feel confident and empowered.”
Breaking rules came naturally to Louboutin, who dropped out of school at the age of 16 and traveled to Egypt and India. When he returned to Paris in 1981, he had his mind set on shoe design and was hired by French fashion designer Charles Jourdan whose women’s shoe designs had been popular amongst the Paris elite since 1919. Louboutin later worked as a freelancer for such fashion houses as Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent and Roger Vivier.
When he went out on his own and opened his first boutique in the Galerie Véro-Dodat covered passage, Princess Caroline of Monaco became his first famous client. The now-revered red sole emerged with his third collection, when Louboutin noticed an assistant painting her nails bright red. He tried applying the polish to a sole and was enamored with the results. Soon, his glossy, red-bottomed heels were all the rage in the fashion world.
Today, Louboutin sells his wares in department stores and over 50 Louboutin boutiques across the world. Beyond shoes, he has also expanded into accessories, beauty lines and handbags, launching the Passage collection of bags in 2014, inspired by the location of his first boutique. Conceptual pieces like his 2007 “Pumps,” now in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, have taken his stilettos to the extreme with a ballet-like en pointe silhouette balanced on a spiked heel. Louboutin is a go-to designer for celebrities, including Blake Lively, Mariah Carey, Sarah Jessica Parker and Jennifer Lopez (who has a song about the famed shoes), among hundreds of others. In February 2020, a retrospective of his career opened in the Palais de la Porte Dorée where it all began.
Find vintage Christian Louboutin shoes, sneakers, handbags and other items on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: University City, MO
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Rare Cartier L' Album Satin Hardcover Jewelry - Photography Book c 2003By CartierLocated in University City, MOCartier rare L' Album satin hardcover jewelry - photography book c 2003 The extremely rare book is a lush archive of late 19th & 20th century images featuring an array of exquisite C...Category
Early 2000s Hardback
- Gio Ponti The Complete Work 1923 - 1978 1st Edition Hard Cover BookBy Gio PontiLocated in University City, MOGio Ponti The Complete Work 1923 - 1978 1st Edition Hard Cover Book This is the first complete survey and thematic profile of one of the most prolific and accomplished Italian arch...Category
1990s Italian Design
- Couture The Great Designers Book by Caroline Rennolds Millbank c 1985Located in University City, MOCouture The great designers hardcover book by Caoline Rennolds Millbank c 1985 The 415 page hardcover begins in the 1840s with Charles Frederick Worth...Category
1980s American Couture
- David Webb The Quintessential American Jeweler Hard Cover Book by Ruth PeltasonBy David WebbLocated in University City, MODavid Webb The Quintessential American Jeweler hard cover book by Ruth Peltrason c 2013 The book is an amazing archive of Webb's extraordinary 20th century jewelry designs Webb is be...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Fashion Books
- Chanel The Metropolitan Museum of Art Hardcover Book circa 2005By ChanelLocated in University City, MOChanel The Metropolitan Museum of Art hardcover book c 2005 A beautiful collection of Chanel's luxurious garments; with fine and costume jewelry designs Showcases the exquisite co...Category
Early 2000s American Fashion Books
- Vogue The Jewellery Hard Cover Book in Original Cardboard Case 21st cLocated in University City, MOVogue The Jewellery hard cover reference book in the original cardboard case The 296 page hard cover book is an archive of 20th century jewelry that was featured in Vogue. Features a...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Fashion Books
- Horst Interiors Coffee Table Book, 1993Located in Atlanta, GAFascinating people in their stylish interiors ... Horst Interiors by Barbara Plumb, published in 1993, showcases the artful photography of Horst P. Horst, famed fashion and interiors...Category
1990s American Style
- Over The Top: Helena Rubinstein Coffee Table Book, 2006Located in Atlanta, GAOver The Top: Helena Rubinstein, Extraordinary Style, Beauty, Art, Fashion, Design published in 2006 and written by Suzanne Slesin chronicles the life and extraordinary times of a trailblazer in the cosmetics industry. Not only was Helena Rubinstein (1872-1965) a savvy and successful entrepreneur, but she was also a stylemaker with unique taste for both personal adornment and decor. Her art collection included ground breaking modernists of the time ... Picasso, Dali, Matisse, Brancusi ... just to name a few. She was also fascinated with African art and incorporated carvings and masks into her Art Deco decors. This hardbound 216 page volume recounts her history, both business and personal, with beautiful images and informative text. Original dust jacket included. As Ms. Rubinstein would say, 'There are no ugly...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Chinese Style
- The Book of the Bath Hardcover 1998 by Francoise De BonnevilleLocated in North Hollywood, CAThe Book of the Bath Hardcover – October 15, 1998 by Francoise De Bonneville (Author) published by Rizzoli. 1st edition, 1st printing, 1998. For over 2000 years, in the Far East as in the West, bathing and showering have been more than practical necessities. Bathing has become a rite and a refuge, and this is the first book to lavish due attention on the history of the bath across the centuries and around the world. Although the room for bathing as we know it has existed for only a century, public baths wee institution in ancient cultures; and, of course, beginning n the Renaissance, bathing was not just hygienic, but a sensual and sybaritic event. In The Book of the Bath, abundant illustrations- from Byzantine frescoes and Orientalist paintings of harems...Category
Late 20th Century French Design
- Tutankhamun: His Tomb and Its Treasures Hardcover BookLocated in North Hollywood, CATutankhamun: His Tomb and Its Treasures Hardcover Book New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art and Alfred A. Knopf, Inc, 1976. Title: Tutankhamun: His Tomb and Its Treasures Publisher: Random House Inc Publication Date: 1977 Binding: Hardcover Book Condition: Fair First edition. Color and black & white illustrations Language : English Hardcover : 250 pages Item Weight : 3 pounds Format Hardcover Large size: 11.50 x 9 x 1 in. Published on the occasion of the exhibition "Treasures of Tutankhamun" at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. and others in the U.S. Never before in the literature—or the photography—of Egyptology has a book displayed so richly the splendors of ancient Egyptian art...Category
Late 20th Century Egyptian Design
- Artcurial, Paris Art Deco May 28 2013 Artcurial Auction CatalogLocated in North Hollywood, CAArtcurial, Paris Art Deco, May 28 2013 Artcurial Auction Catalog. Art Deco, Text in French and English. Paperback Art Book 196 pages. Dimensions: 8.75" x...Category
20th Century French Style
- Ruhlmann Un Genie De L'Art Deco Editions D'Art, Ruhlmann: Genius of Art DecoLocated in North Hollywood, CARuhlmann Un Genie De L'Art Deco by Emmanuel Breon et Rosalind Pepall.(Commissaires). 2004 Ruhlmann: Genius of Art Deco. French Text. Published by Somogy Editions D'Art, 2004. 327 pag...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Style