Lanvin white grecian style washed silk crystal embellished wedding dress gown
About the Item
The career of Jeanne Lanvin (1867–1946) and her eponymous brand began with a millinery apprenticeship in the late 19th century. Today, Lanvin Paris is a globally revered company and is among the oldest French fashion houses still in existence. It is renowned for its exquisite and sought-after vintage evening dresses, shoes, skirts and other garments and accessories and for having dressed such high-profile celebrities as Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman, Kim Kardashian and Sienna Miller.
In 1889, when her apprenticeship came to an end, the young French designer Jeanne Lanvin opened a custom hat shop on the rue Boissy d’Anglas in Paris. Four years later, she moved her business into a much more prominent space on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, one of the world’s most famous luxury fashion districts. The new Maison Lanvin was big enough to display the pieces she would design for her daughter, Marguerite, who was born in 1897. The relationship between Lanvin and her daughter would be at the core of the brand, with a 1907 photograph of Jeanne and Marguerite in matching outfits inspiring the fashion house’s enduring logo.
In 1908, Lanvin launched a line of children’s clothing, one of the first such moves in high-end fashion. When mothers came in to buy the clothes, they often asked for similar designs for themselves. Lanvin decided to introduce a women’s wear line with pieces that had a youthful femininity. This would grow to encompass everyday clothing, evening dresses, coats, lingerie and furs, as well as menswear, perfume and household items. Once she became a member of the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture (Parisian Fashion Council) in 1909, her title officially switched from milliner to designer.
Along with her stylish designs, Lanvin identified the importance of brand identity through fabric colors, opening a dye factory in Nanterre, France. There the distinctive “Lanvin blue” was produced, so even if her designs were copied, the colors could never be exactly reproduced.
After Jeanne Lanvin's death, her daughter, Marguerite Marie-Blanche de Polignac, took over and a series of talented artistic directors would propel the brand through the trends of the 20th century, including Jules François Crahay, Dominique Morlotti, Alber Elbaz and, most recently, Bruno Sialelli. In 2018, Lanvin was acquired by the Fosun Fashion Group, which is now focused on celebrating Lanvin’s heritage while pushing it into a new chapter.
Find vintage Lanvin Paris clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Paris, France
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Valentino 18 white aztec leopard print crepe cady low cut silk gown dress IT 38By ValentinoLocated in Paris, FRValentino Resort 2018 floor length dress in leopard print motif developed in collaboration with artist Sandra Rhodes Print in Burgundy, pink and green...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dresses
- Bevza wool cut out long sleeve ivory cream slit midi sweater dress XSLocated in Paris, FRA beautiful wool dress by the designer BEVZA in ivory/cream Cut out detail Three hooks at the bust Central back zip Back slit Size XS 100% wool New with tags Measurements: (dress h...Category
2010s Ukrainian Informal Dresses
- Vintage cottagecore prairie cotton white red floral print halter backless dressLocated in Paris, FRA beautiful vintage dress most likely from the 1970's Cottagecore style maxi length dress in white with red, yellow and green floral print Halt...Category
1970s Maxi Dresses
- Chloe black white abstract floral print flared gypsy style babydoll mini dressBy ChloéLocated in Paris, FRChloe babydoll style mini dress in black and white abstract print Flared sleeves and skirt Ruffle trim to the hemline and cuffs Button ...Category
2010s Malagasy Babydoll Day Dresses
- Chloe S04 strapless plisse green silk chiffon layered bustier midi length dressBy ChloéLocated in Paris, FRChloe Spring Summer 2004 strapless plisse green silk dress Boning to the upper portion Cinched in waist Long rope ties with beaded ends wrap around the ne...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage floral print lilac sheer puff sleeve maxi dressLocated in Paris, FRVintage full length dress in lilac with pink, yellow and green floral print Sheer puff 3/4 length sleeves Cinched waist Full double layered s...Category
1970s Unknown Maxi Dresses
- 1980s Samir Ivory White Lace Handkerchief Hem Embroidered Vintage 80s DressBy SAMIRLocated in San Diego, CAFabulous 1980s SAMIR ivory / white lace embroidered handkerchief hem cocktail dress! Features a sweetheart neckline with a mesh embroidered o...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- Michael Kors Collection Off White Ivory Size 2 / 4 Grommet Bell Sleeve DressBy Michael KorsLocated in San Diego, CAEarly 2000s vintage MICHAEL KORS COLLECTION off-white / ivory long bell sleeve grommet dress ! Features a tailored bodice with silver grommets aro...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- 1920s Vintage Dress in Ivory Silk With Pink Embroidery and TopstitchingLocated in Portland, ORThis is a beautiful ivory silk vintage dress from the late 1920's. The dress is sleeveless, with a pink silk braided tie at the neck and it is decorated with gorgeous pink embroidery...Category
1920s Unknown Day Dresses
- 1960s White Sheer Embellished Cocktail DressLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1960s Sheer white netting sheath cocktail dress embellished with multi color beads in floral pattern. Size Medium- Large Measurement: Bust : 38” / W: 36”...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage 1978 Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture Ivory Red Print Silk Dress & ShawlBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous Yves Saint Laurent ivory dotted red-clover print silk dress ensemble from his 1978 spring/summer collection. Such a rarity to find all three pieces together! The dress is so chic with the shoulder buttons and short puff-sleeves. I adore the matching ruffle-trim shawl wrap which is a stunning statement piece on it's own. The flattering nipped waist sash...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Jean Colonna vintage SS 1998 asymmetric floral partly transparent jersey dressLocated in Antwerp, BEVerlaine Vintage presents a Jean Colonna asymmetric floral dress from the spring-summer 1998 collection. A piece that epitomizes Jean Colonna's minimalist sensuality, this dress has an interesting asymmetric design. The left side is constructed with a regular long sleeve, while the right side is sleeveless and the neckline functions as a shoulder strap. The designer explored this concept in several of their mid-'90s collections. The piece is crafted from an unusual technical jersey (71% viscose, 21% nylon) with a floral print that would look right at home in a vintage 70s interior...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses