NEW Missoni Signature Chevron Crochet Knit Belted Tunic Mini Dress 42
About the Item
In 1953, Ottavio “Tai” (1921–2013) and Rosita (b. 1931) Missoni opened a small knitwear shop in Gallarate, Italy, paving the way for what would become an iconic style of colorful chevron knit.
Missoni began with a tracksuit, which featured zippers down the legs because, as Rosita recalls it, “Tai was too lazy to take off his shoes when putting them on.” The couple’s fashion really took off, though, once they discovered the Raschel knitting machine on a trip to a shawl factory. The machine enabled the Missonis to knit multiple colors in a zigzag pattern, a motif that would go on to become synonymous with the Missoni brand across everything from its alluring vintage day dresses and sweaters to its purses, seating and rugs.
Missoni held its first fashion show in Florence in 1967 and caused a bit of a sensation when the models’ Lurex dresses proved translucent under the lights at the Pitti Palace. Scandal aside, the show went down in history as a hit, and the Missonis soon made their debut in the United States with the help of legendary fashion editor Diana Vreeland, who gave the variegated Missoni stripe the Vogue seal of approval, saying, “Who says a rainbow has seven colors? It has many shades.” (It was also Vreeland who reportedly introduced the Missonis to Neiman Marcus president Stanley Marcus, effectively shepherding the brand to the American market.)
Missoni’s many-shaded rainbow would soon become an emblem of the 1970s fashion scene, earning the brand a permanent place in the fashion canon. In 1973, the New York Times proclaimed: “Missoni’s weaved garments have ended up universal materialistic trifles, as Vuitton sacks and Gucci shoes.”
The brand branched into the home market in 1983, with Rosita overseeing this new venture, which included furniture, textiles and accessories. Daughter Angela succeeded her mother at the helm of the brand, where she still serves as president and creative director today; her brother Luca is CEO, while her daughter Margherita is creative director of offshoot M Missoni.
Find vintage Missoni clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: DXB, United Arab Emirates
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Gucci by Tom Ford Pleated Powder Silk Dress with StripesBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHStunning Dress by Tom Ford for Gucci For his final summer collection for Gucci in 2004 Sample piece from the Atelier Beautiful panel silk dress Handstitching Pleating details Strip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Informal Dresses
- UNWORN Rare Fendi by Karl Lagerfeld Floral Logo Print Flower Silk Dress 42By FendiLocated in Switzerland, CHStunning silk dress by Fendi Finest silk with floral print "FENDI" discreetly written all over the print Simply slips on Buttons engraved with "Fendi" Made in Italy Size 42 Unworn Co...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Roberto Cavalli Embroidered Cheetah Lace Up Silk Dress Tunic as seen on JLO XSBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Switzerland, CHRoberto Cavalli Main Line As seen on Jennifer JLO Lopez Finest silk printed with signature Cavalli cheetah theme Signed Roberto Cavalli on silk all over Leather lace up in front, can...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Mini Dress
- NEW Emilio Pucci Pastels Tie Dye Silk Print Star Dress 44By Emilio PucciLocated in Switzerland, CHEMILIO PUCCI PASTEL SIGNATURE PRINT DRESS A timeless EMILIO PUCCI gown that will never go out of style! Stunning multicolored silk dress designed by Peter Dundas for Emilio Pucci....Category
2010s Day Dresses
- UNWORN Emilio Pucci Silk Jersey Fan Signature Print Cocktail Dress 40By Emilio PucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA stunning dress by Emilio Pucci. The striking print and style of this dress echoes the Twenties and its art deco style movement and has been brought up to date in this playful yet f...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocktail Dresses
- CHANEL Nude Knit Maxi Evening Dress Kaftan Tunic Beach Pool Cover Up 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHStunning CHANEL maxi kaftan tunic dress Knitted with beautiful details CC logo plate in pink-gold color in front So versatile - Wear it over your favourite bikini or swimsuit for a c...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Maxi Dress
- Rudi Gernreich for Harmon Knitwear Dress with Attached Trompe l' Oeil SweaterBy Harmon Knitwear, Rudi GernreichLocated in New Hope, PARudi Gernreich designed this dress for Harmon Knitwear in the 1960's and it is a very modern and clever design. The tank dress is made from a wide vertical striped fabric and it slip...Category
1960s American Day Dresses
- DRIES Van NOTEN Fall 2012 SILK DRESS size 36 - SBy Dries van NotenLocated in Montgomery, TXDRIES VAN NOTEN Dries Van Noten Silk Printed Japanese Dress with Sleeves. V-neck Color: White Size: 36 or US - S Content: 100% Silk Length: Back 160cm Pre-owned, in excellen...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Abstract lotus print flared midi silk dress - FLORA KUNGBy Flora KungLocated in Boston, MAEasy and flattering all-season silhouette. FLORA KUNG silk dresses are made in premiere quality, long-filament silk yarn which gives a natural simmering glow and a buttery, luxurio...Category
Early 2000s American Casual Dresses
- Ralph Lauren halter neck red black beige stripe striped maxi jersey gown dressBy Ralph LaurenLocated in Paris, FRRalph Lauren floor length dress in red, black, yellow and beige stripe Halter neck rope tie neck Drop ruched waist Two side pockets Composition: 78% Viscose, 22% Linen Size: Small...Category
2010s Hong Kong Maxi Dresses
- S/S 2011 Look # 36 Versace Crepe Nude Dress 40 - 4/6By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVersace Crepe Nude Dress. It has a waistline modeling, cutouts in guipure lace in hollow arabesque, single shoulder with medium thickness strap, side invisible zipper closure and hook. Origin: Italy...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery