- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1980's Paco Rabanne Black Silk Mock Neck Belted Mini Dress
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Laguna Beach, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Visionary designer Paco Rabanne first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he introduced dresses, handbags and other clothing and accessories that went against the common sensibilities of the time and challenged the public's perception of what fashion should be. By working with unlikely materials such as paper and Rhodoid — a cellulose acetate plastic often used to line baking pans — Rabanne forced the fashion world to reconsider materials and form.
Rabanne was born Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo in Spain’s Basque region. His mother was the head seamstress at Balenciaga when she relocated herself and her son to France in 1939 to escape the Spanish Civil War. Once in France, he took on the name Paco Rabanne.
Rabanne studied architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris but pivoted toward fashion and began to design accessories and costume jewelry. Rabanne collaborated with many acclaimed luxury houses — his early clients included Charles Jourdan, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin and Dior.
By 1966, Rabanne was working on avant-garde designs in his own newly-opened studio. He introduced a couture collection titled “Twelve Unwearable Dresses in Contemporary Materials.” The garments — made of aluminum, plastic and eco-friendly paper and fastened with wire — were unveiled at a show that featured music and models of color (both uncommon characteristics for such an event). Sculptural, sexy and solidly Space Age in appearance, Rabanne’s experiments turned heads. Pop star-actresses Brigitte Bardot and Françoise Hardy would soon be seen in the designer’s iconic metallic dresses, and Rabanne found enthusiasts in the likes of revolutionary couturier Elsa Schiaparelli and art collector Peggy Guggenheim. In 1968 Rabanne designed leather boots and erotically charged dresses made of molded plastic and chain-mail mesh for the science fiction film Barbarella.
Rabanne called Salvador Dalí a close friend and drew on the Surrealist movement in his designs. He continued to use unconventional materials in his work. From aluminum jersey and fur to ostrich feathers and Velcro, everything was suitable for his pioneering garments. And Rabanne’s talents are diverse — his prolific output even includes stylish furniture.
In 1999 Rabanne retired from the fashion business. In 2010 he was named Officer of the Legion d’Honneur by the French culture minister. Today, under the creative direction of French designer Julien Dossena, the Paco Rabanne brand continues to innovate and offer looks that nod to the past as well as the future.
Find vintage Paco Rabanne clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- 1980's Paco Rabanne Cream Stretch Cross Back Maxi DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CA1980's Paco Rabanne stretch knit maxi dress in cream with a criss-cross straps and an open back and a relaxed metal buckle detail waist belt. New with Tag.Category
1980s French Maxi Dress
- 1980's Paco Rabanne Black Silk Shirt DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CA1980's New with Tag black silk button up shirt dress with a wool crepe skirt and wide attached belt from PACO RABANNE.Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- Paco Rabanne Black Short Sleeve PoloBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CAClassic black polo from vintage Paco Rabanne is 100% viscose. IT has one small breast pocket.Category
1990s French Blouses and Tops
- 1980's Paco Rabanne Black and White Psychedelic Print Shirt DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CA1980's Paco Rabanne black and white silk psychedelic print long sleeve shirt dress with a wool crepe skirt and an attached wide belt. New with Tags.Category
1980s French Sheath Dresses
- 1980's Paco Rabanne Black Silk Belted Mini DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CA1980's Black silk sleeveless fitted mini dress with an attached metal horse bit buckled belt from PACO RABANNE and an invisible back zipper. New with tags.Category
1980s French Mini Dresses
- 1980's Paco Rabanne Beige Stretch Belted SkirtBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CA1980's Paco Rabanne beige stretch knit midi skirt with an attached fabric belt with gold logo buckle and a back zipper closure. New with Tags.Category
1980s French Pencil Skirts
You May Also Like
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
1990s French Evening Dresses
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
1980s Court Gowns
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocktail Dresses
20th Century French Cocktail Dresses
2010s French Day Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery