- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Bill Blass 1960s Silk Velvet Gown and Cape
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 10 (US)Bust: 33 in (83.82 cm)Waist: 26 in (66.04 cm)Hip: 39 in (99.06 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 56 in (142.24 cm)
- Place of Origin:United States
- Seller Location:Water Mill, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5115459822
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Water Mill, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Bill Blass Trompe L'oeil Paid Suit 1990sBy Bill BlassLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous polished cotton plaid suit by Bill Blass in shades of olive, orange and white. The trompe l'oeil plaid is in waves and folds 'tricks the eye' as part of the pattern giving...Category
1990s American Skirt Suits
- Lillie Rubin New 1950s Silk Damask Dress and Mink Collar Coat SetBy Lillie RubinLocated in Water Mill, NYA rare and new 1950s dress and coat set from Lillie Rubin in a black silk damask flower pattern. The dress is semi fitted with a matching belt, a bateau neckline, and a straight skir...Category
1950s American Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Edna Vilm Top with Waterfall Back and Skirt 1940sLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful elaborately detailed top and skirt from notable 1940s American designer Edna Vilm. It consists of a hip length long sleeve top with with zipper cuffs, a V neck, padded s...Category
1940s American Skirt Suits
- Gianni Versace Silk Skirt and Top Set with HardwareBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA fine silk jersey one shoulder top and matching skirt from Gianni Versace Couture in pink scrolls and lines on a black background. The top is fitted and has a gold metal signature ...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana Flower Applique Pants and Fringe Trim TopBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Water Mill, NYA stunning black pant and top/vest set from Dolce & Gabbana covered in silk flowers of different varieties and colors. The V neck top is midriff length...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Valentino New Silk Cut out JumpsuitBy ValentinoLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous black silk jumpsuit by Valentino. It is semi fitted with long raglan sleeves, full straight legs and elongated, gradated oval cutouts radiating from the neckline. It com...Category
2010s Italian Jumpsuits
- Vintage 1950's Madame Grès Haute Couture Sculpted Silk Back-Bow Dress & JacketBy Madame GresLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous and incredibility rare Madame Grès haute couture sculpted black silk dress ensemble dating back to the early 1950's. Madame Grès felt that the true job of the couturier was not to create a name for one's self, as many designers do, but to pay rigorous attention to the clothing. This stunning set has so much detail, you can tell it was made with loving devotion. The alluring bodice has a low-cut scoop neck with flattering short sleeves. My favorite designer element is the dramatic back bow with chic cut-out. The matching jacket has a shawl-like front with a stunning cropped back. I'd wear the jacket alone with other looks for a unique bolero option. The sculpted panel style skirting ,which looks incredibly hard to mold, reads so fresh to the modern eye...Category
1950s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- 1960s Nina Ricci Couture Ruby Velvet Gown & Cape Ensemble W/ Heavy Bead TrimBy Nina RicciLocated in San Francisco, CAAn incredible and rare 1960s Nina Ricci Couture ruby red evening ensemble: an evening gown with a portrait neckline, fitted "princess" seaming, 3/4 sleeves and a faux Empire waist tr...Category
1960s French Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Vintage 1964 Balenciaga Haute Couture Metallic Pink Beaded Silk Strapless DressLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA stunning and incredibly rare Balenciaga metallic-gold brocaded pink silk evening dress from his 1964 Spring-Summer collection. Cristobal Balenciaga began his life's work in fashion...Category
1960s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1960's Pauline Trigere Seafoam Green Crepe One-Shoulder Gown & Fur WrapBy Pauline TrigèreLocated in Beverly Hills, CAExceptional Pauline Trigere designer seafoam green bias-cut gown dating back to the late 1960's During this time period, Pauline Trigère's name was part of the glamorous excess in H...Category
1960s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Christian Dior Black Cannage quilt monogram 4 piece ensemble, fw 1998By Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in London, GBChristian Dior by John Galliano black 3 piece runway ensemble comprising: monogram Cannage quilted nylon jacket with shirred waistband, mini handbag and mini backpack with fur trim a...Category
1990s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Givenchy Haute Couture mauve silk trained evening gown with cape, fw 2003By GivenchyLocated in London, GB▪ Givenchy Haute Couture mauve silk evening gown ▪ Designed by Julien Macdonald ▪ Form-hugging torso with asymmetric draping ▪ Cut-out at hip edged with hand-rolled silk ▪ Asymmet...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage 1890's Victorian French Couture Floral Embroidered Yellow Satin GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAUndiminished by time, this 1895 Mme Arnaud on 16 Rue Bassano Paris couture ensemble still casts its seductive spell. An exceptional Victorian evening ensemble fashioned from vibrant sunshine yellow silk-satin. The gorgeous three-dimensional purple iris floral embroidery really sets this formal gown apart from others of it's time. I love the ruched fully-corset bodice which are so modern and chic. Making a bold and dramatic fashion statement, this must have been worn to an extremely regal event in. This is truly a rare and exceptional quality made piece of wearable art. Would be perfect for the 2022 MET gala! Measurements Corset Bodice Bust: 37-38 inches Waist: 30 inches Total Length: 18 inches Matching Trained Skirt Waist: 28 inches Hips: Free Sweep Front Length: 42 inches Back Length: 48 inches This 1890's Mme Arnaud French Couture ensemble is is in excellent wearable and presentable condition. As shown, the inside bodice is fully-boned with hidden hook eye closures. Designer labeled wide band of silk grosgrain circling the waist. There is hand-stitching throughout. Only sign of wear to the ballroom skirt...Category
1890s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1975 Madame Grès Haute Couture Rare Documented Silk-Jersey Cut Out GownBy Madame GresLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous and incredibility rare Madame Grès haute couture heavily pleated silk-jersey gown dating back to her 1975 Autumn-Winter collection. Madame Grès felt that the true job of the couturier was not to create a name for one's self, as many designers do, but to pay rigorous attention to the clothing. This stunning documented draped mocha brown gown has so much detail, you can tell it was made with loving devotion. That color pop of beige really brings this dress to a new level. The seductive bodice has a low-cut halter style neckline with scrolling heavily pleated bands. My favorite design detail is the flirty cut-outs around the bodice which add so much sex appeal and interest. Flattering asymmetric hem columnar skirt with matching pleated waist belt. Grès had an extraordinarily long career. Through each decade, which encompassed huge changes in fashion, her work remained consistent and timeless. Any one of her elegant gowns...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Black chiné Elsa Schiaparelli 1940's skirt -suitBy Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBlack with white chiné wool skirt-suit. Interesting collar effect like a tie. Black silk lining ( jacket only) with Schiaparelli's signatureCategory
1940s Unknown Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1960's Galanos Couture Ivory Silk Satin Low-Plunge Long Sleeve JumpsuitBy James Galanos, GalanosLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous Galanos Couture ivory-creme silk satin jumpsuit dating back to the mid 1960's. Dedication to excellence in craftsmanship and design w...Category
1960s American Jumpsuits
- Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner Lace Dress and Matching Coat with Lace SleevesBy Bill Blass, Bill Blass for Maurice RentnerLocated in New Hope, PAThis is a great example of the early work Bill Blass did for Maurice Rentner in the 1960's. The dress has glittering jeweled straps above an Empire waist. The white tape lace A line...Category
1960s American Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Unusual Bill Blass Bicolor Crepe Balloon JumpsuitBy Bill Blass for Maurice RentnerLocated in New York, NYUnusual Bill Blass Bicolor Crepe Balloon Jumpsuit from the 1960's designed for Maurice Rentner. Heavy silk blend crepe in sherbert pink and mint which wraps and ties at shoulder wit...Category
1960s American Jumpsuits
- 1960s Bill Blass Creme Crushed Velvet Maxi Dress with matching CoatBy Bill Blass, Bill Blass for Maurice RentnerLocated in Beverly Hills, CATimeless 1960s Vintage Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner creme crushed velvet sleeveless maxi dress embellished with faux pearls and rhinestones. Dress comes with matching evening maxi...Category
1960s American Evening Dresses
- 1980s Bill Blass Off White Gown and Navy Lace Evening EnsembleBy Bill BlassLocated in Toronto, OntarioAbsolutely stunning 1980s Bill Blass two piece ensemble. The set features a simple and minimal long sleeve, crewneck off white silk gown with a breathtaking navy blue lace long unlin...Category
1980s American Evening Gowns
- Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner 1960s Wool Plaid Jacket + Skirt Suit EnsembleBy Bill Blass for Maurice RentnerLocated in Sparks, NVVibrant plaid jacket and skirt set by Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner. Gold buttons and chain detail. Pleated skirt. Details: Fully Lined Front Snap Closure On Jacket/ Side Hoo...Category
1960s American Skirt Suits
- Bill Blass Vintage Black Sequin Suit With Removable Fox Collar & Cuffs Size 6-8By Bill BlassLocated in Palm Springs, CAThis very chic suit was made for a friend/client of Mr. Bill Blass. It possibly is one of a kind. The two piece set includes a slim flattering shape skirt and an amazing cardigan jac...Category
1970s American Skirt Suits$1,960 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery