Courreges 1970s Hyperbole Blue Velvet Maxi Skirt and Top
About the Item
Revolutionary couturier André Courrèges made a name for himself on the buzzy Paris fashion scene of the 1960s with audacious Space Age designs that pointed to the future. The world of haute couture credits him with toppling the conservative standards assigned to feminine clothing back then and propelling a movement that celebrated a more revealing brand of women's attire — including chic miniskirts, his iconic white ankle boots and often whimsical dresses with necklines that turned heads.
While vintage André Courrèges suits, jackets and other apparel garnered the designer ample praise, he wasn’t confined to producing clothing. He is also widely revered for creating some of the era’s most stylish accessories, like his offbeat, goggles-esque sunglasses and distinctive scarves, which boasted lively patterns and an alluring range of Pop art colors and pastels.
Born in the French Pyrenees, Courrèges wanted to become an artist at an early age, but his father steered him into engineering. Though successful as an engineer, Courrèges pivoted to fashion. He moved to Paris and worked briefly for couturiere Jeanne Lafaurie. In 1948, he took a job with Cristóbal Balenciaga, and within a couple of years, he had ascended to the role of Balenciaga’s first assistant.
While working for Balenciaga, Courrèges met dressmaker Coqueline Barrière, whom he would later marry. In 1961, the couple established their own fashion house, where they collaborated as creative partners for the remainder of the designer’s life.
Courrèges was among the designers who ushered in the rise of ready-to-wear. He favored figure-hugging silhouettes and geometric shapes, and looked to the work of architect Le Corbusier — a like-minded proponent of simplicity and clean lines. Alongside innovators such as Mary Quant, Paco Rabanne and Pierre Cardin — the latter's futuristic looks were catnip for the free-spending consumers of the postwar years — Courrèges explored ways to outfit women with comfortable everyday wear, working with forward-looking materials such as plastic and polyvinyl chloride in his unadorned dresses of stark white. Mexican socialite and Harper’s Bazaar editor Gloria Guinness, pop star Françoise Hardy and former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy were among some notable names to wear Courrèges originals.
By the mid-1960s, Courrèges had risen to the top of his industry, and there were many imitators. He took strict control of production at his namesake label, only allowing distribution through licensed sellers. He and Coqueline sold off part of the company in 1968 to L'Oreal, and by the early 1970s, Courrèges had more than 100 boutiques worldwide, also expanding into fragrances and menswear. In 1983, the couple restored themselves to full ownership of the company and in 2011 sold the company to French advertising executives Jacques Bungert and Frédéric Torloting. Artémis, which controls the global luxury group Kering, acquired a minority stake in the Courrèges brand in 2015 and took full control three years later.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Water Mill, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Fabrice Couture Silk Beaded Camisole and Skirt Set 1990sBy Fabrice New York Couture, FabriceLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous 2 piece set skirt and camisole set from Coty award winner designer Fabrice's Couture collection in black semi sheer silk covered in glass beads and with sequin accents. Th...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Gianni Versace Silk Skirt and Top Set with HardwareBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA fine silk jersey one shoulder top and matching skirt from Gianni Versace Couture in pink scrolls and lines print on a black background. The top is fitted and has a gold metal signature Versace Greek key hardware...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Edna Vilm Top with Waterfall Back and Skirt 1940sLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful elaborately detailed top and skirt from notable 1940s American designer Edna Vilm. It consists of a hip length long sleeve top with with zipper cuffs, a V neck, padded s...Category
1940s American Skirt Suits
- Lillie Rubin New 1950s Silk Damask Dress and Mink Collar Coat SetBy Lillie RubinLocated in Water Mill, NYA rare, new 1950s dress and coat set from Lillie Rubin in a black silk damask flower pattern. The dress is semi fitted with a matching belt, a bateau ne...Category
1950s American Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Dolce & Gabbana Flower Applique Pants and Fringe Trim TopBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Water Mill, NYA stunning black pant and top/vest set from Dolce & Gabbana covered in silk flowers of different varieties and colors. The V neck top is midriff length wi...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Valentino New Silk Cut out JumpsuitBy ValentinoLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous black silk jumpsuit by Valentino. It is semi fitted with long raglan sleeves, full straight legs and elongated, gradated oval cutouts radiating from the neckline. It com...Category
2010s Italian Jumpsuits
- Alfred Bosand Black Point D-Esprit Gown and Cape with Ruffles - M - 1960'sBy Alfred BosandLocated in West Palm Beach, FLAlfred Bosand Black Point D-Esprit Gown and Cape with Ruffles - M - 1960's. This ensemble has a sexy 60's look. The gown has spaghetti straps and a black lining with point d'esprit o...Category
1960s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Early Alexander McQueen Joan of Arc 1998 AW98 Runway Catwalk Dress Suit CostumeBy Alexander McQueenLocated in PARIS, FRIconic Alexander McQueen runway suit from Joan of Arc autumn winter 1998 Collection! Piece of art! Wonderful silhouette! Red McQueen Silk lining Bottons on the sleeves Shoulder pads...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Ann Demeluemeester Wool Halter Top and Skirt SetBy Ann DemeulemeesterLocated in Beverly Hills, CA90s Ann Demeulemeester black wool stipe halter with collar metal fastener with skirt set. Size: Medium for the top/ Skirt: LargeCategory
Early 2000s Belgian Day Dresses
- Vintage 1960's Burke-Amey Couture Black Wool & Green Silk Applique Dress SuitBy Burke-AmeyLocated in Beverly Hills, CAUltra chic and super sophisticated Burke-Amey graphic appliqué 3-piece ensemble dating back to their 1968-69 fall/winter collection. Burke-Amey was started in 1959 by designer Ronald...Category
1960s American Skirt Suits
- Rare Bill Gibb Devore Silk Velvet Evening EnsembleBy Bill GibbLocated in Geneva, CHIncredible early 70s "dévoré" silk velvet and gold lame set composed of a short kimono-caftan and a long buttoned maxi skirt. The top is cut wide with sleeves opening down the wais...Category
1970s British Caftans
- Christian LaCroix Velvet & Wool Evening Suit With Rhinestone Buttons, C.1990By Christian LacroixLocated in Atlanta, GAIt's all in the details ... and the details of this Christian LaCroix suit are to die for! The heavy brown wool jacket is a double breasted military style with a large black velvet ...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses