- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Dolce & Gabbana Grunge Dress Early 1993-1994 F/W Museum, Collectors
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Dolce & Gabbana
Shapely lingerie models, animal and floral prints and the Mediterranean heritage of Sicily have come to define the romantic and sensual style of Dolce & Gabbana, a leading international brand that from its earliest days of corsetry, copious lace and provocative silhouettes has challenged fashion with an audacious vision for femininity.
After meeting in Milan in 1980 while they were both working for Italian designer Giorgio Correggiari, Domenico Dolce (b. 1958) and Stefano Gabbana (b. 1962) would go on to establish their eponymous fashion empire in 1982. Three years later, a breakthrough for the duo materialized in the form of an up-and-coming talent showcase at Milan Fashion Week, where they unveiled an approach to fashion design that broke sharply from that of the era’s reigning Italian houses. By then romantic partners as well as a business, Dolce & Gabbana were outsiders. Soon, their distinctive garments — sexy, feathery skirts and stretchy jersey evening dresses that favored full figures — demanded the fashion world’s undivided attention.
Though Dolce & Gabbana forged a path in womenswear that would take shape with a 1986 collection called “Real Women,” the brand’s offerings broadened quickly to encompass knitwear, swimwear, lingerie, ready-to-wear, menswear and perfume. In the early 1990s, Madonna helped catapult the luxury house to international stardom: The renowned singer and actress famously tapped the brand to create the looks for her 1993 tour “The Girlie Show.” It saw Madonna working closely with the designers and even starring in their ad campaigns. Dolce & Gabbana has continued to develop a high-profile clientele that includes pop sensations such as Beyoncé and Lady Gaga. The latter donned Dolce & Gabbana’s armor corset dress in the music video for her hit single “Paparazzi.”
Rather than following the rapidly changing trends of fashion, Dolce & Gabbana have instead held to their close-fitting tailoring and decadent designs. The house continues to work with recurring themes such as the culture of Italy and Catholicism, which is manifest, specifically, in their widespread use of black lace, a fabric that references the dresses worn by Sicilian widows. The duo is also inspired by Italian cinema and its icons such as Gina Lollobrigida and Sophia Loren; in 2015 they introduced the Sophia No. 1 lipstick in her honor.
Although Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana separated as a couple in 2005, they continued their business as a creative partnership. In 2012, they closed their less expensive D&G ready-to-wear line to focus on exclusive extravagance, such as their Alta Moda custom pieces. Today, Dolce & Gabbana maintains a popularity with a wealthy clientele, and the house’s 2020s collections have featured technological experiments that update traditional styles, such as a bouclé jacket with a pixel-like pattern, as well as throwbacks to the 1990s fashion that made the brand a household name.
- Dolce & Gabbana Naomi's Runway Flapper Fringe Corset Dress, 2003By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Los Angeles, CADolce & Gabbana rare rich emerald green silk fringe dress worn on the runway by Naomi Campbell. Inspired by the 1920's fun flapper dresses this one is beautifully designed with much...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Batteau Neck Long Sleeve Bustle DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Los Angeles, CAThe 2007 Dior collection by John Galliano celebrated the 60th-year-anniversary of the Christian Dior glamourous fashion legacy. An updated 21st century style homage to the House of ...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
- Maticevski "Stargazer" Futuristic Gold And Silver Evening DressBy MuglerLocated in Los Angeles, CAToni Maticevski's futuristic dress, aptly named “Stargazer”, offers drama and excitement in the world of fashion. Boasts tucked sleeves with a gold and silver metallic foil finish...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses$3,360 Sale Price20% Off
- Alexander McQueen 2008 Pre-Death Draped Silk Organza Party Pouf Dress - NewBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Los Angeles, CAAlexander McQueen's pre death 2008 Collection strapless bustier pouf dress. Fashioned of ivory silk organza draped in soft cascading folds creating high styled pouf skirt. Corset i...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
- NWT Balmain Runway Handmade Multihued Macrame Crochet DressBy BalmainLocated in Los Angeles, CABalmain colorful crochet and macramé dress bordered with gold chain. Fabulous multi-hued crocheting! Special Aztec-inspired artisan hand made garment with graphic weave of colore...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Mini Dress
- Antonio Berardi "Pretty in Pink" Asymmetric Gown w/Rose Gold Hardware NWTBy Antonio BerardiLocated in Los Angeles, CAAntonio Berardi pale pink bias cut asymmetric gown with rose gold enhancement hardware. Drawstrings are attached as pulleys to cinch parts of the dress as needed and to allow flashe...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
You May Also Like
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
Early 2000s Italian Evening Gowns
1990s Italian Mini Dress
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Dress and Coat Ensembles
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Day Dresses
1990s Italian Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery