Valentino 1996 Haute Couture Wedding Gown with Valentino Sketches
View Similar Items
Valentino 1996 Haute Couture Wedding Gown with Valentino Sketches
About the Item
- Dimensions:Bust: 35 in (88.9 cm)Waist: 25 in (63.5 cm)Hip: 36 in (91.44 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Shoulders, 15" Sleeve out seam 27 inches, Sleeve Inseam 20 inches. Keepsake box provided.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU48526092
The mononymously known Italian designer Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani (b. 1932) is renowned for his fashion house of romantic styles and feminine shapes that he founded in Rome in 1960.
An early fascination with fashion developed when Valentino attended the theater as a child and was dazzled by the evening gowns on stage. While a teenager in Voghera, Lombardy, he studied under Italian designer Ernestina Salvadeo and soon moved to Paris, where he trained at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. Valentino spent time apprenticing under haute couturiers Jean Dessès and Guy Laroche, learning how to design and construct high fashion while also thinking about how to strike out on his own.
In 1959, Valentino returned to Italy, and a year later, he opened his own salon, soon joining with longtime professional and personal partner Giancarlo Giammetti. It was located on Rome’s trendy Via Condotti and modeled after the French maisons. One of his earliest clients was Elizabeth Taylor, who discovered Valentino while she was in Rome filming Cleopatra and ordered the white dress that she wore to the premiere of Spartacus. When the designer launched his first couture line in 1962 with its fiery red colors, it was internationally celebrated, with Valentino soon attiring fashion trendsetters including Princess Margaret and Audrey Hepburn. He formed an especially close friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, for whom he designed numerous dresses. Luxurious drapery with fine needlework, bold uses of color and dramatic flourishes would define Valentino fashion across the decades.
As a fashion house, Valentino is best known for its signature Valentino Red color, though one of its iconic lines is the monochromatic “no colour” collection for which the designer won the Neiman Marcus Award in 1967. (The collection also debuted his trademark “V.”) The white and beige dresses led to a demand for Valentino wedding gowns, with clients including Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. Valentino retired from his fashion empire in 2007, with Alessandra Facchinetti and then the duo Maria Grazia Chiuri (who departed in 2016) and Pierpaolo Piccioli succeeding him as creative directors. But Valentino still steps out of retirement for special occasions, such as designing a wedding gown for Princess Madeleine of Sweden in 2013. Today, the brand has expanded far beyond women’s haute couture and prêt-à-porter to encompass various lines of accessories, including shoes, sunglasses, scarves and perfume.
- Oscar de la Renta Silk Abstract Ikat GownBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis Oscar De La Renta gown is composed of silk in an Ikat print with hues of grey, yellow, red, & blue. Features a v-neck design with a flared knee to hem design and gathered waist....Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Evening Gowns
- Heike Jarick Weathered Paillettes Full Length Dress Size 12By Heike JarickLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is a Heike Jarick design. This dress is composed of a mesh layered with a thick/wide weave cotton that is embellished by weathered paillettes. The color of the embellishments ra...Category
20th Century Japanese Evening Gowns
- Oscar De La Renta Black & White Gown with Scalloped edged Lace Bodice Size SmallBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis Bill Blass gown is composed of a scalloped edged lace bodice and features a ruffled neckline. The skirt is composed of a textured silk, comes with a velvet bow. There is a cent...Category
20th Century American Evening Gowns
- Ungaro White Silk Cocktail Dress with Pink & Green Floral Design Size 8By Emanuel UngaroLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis Ungaro cocktail dress is composed of a white silk taffeta with a floral design of pink and green with silver branches. This cocktail dress features volume at the skirt and a gat...Category
20th Century Italian Cocktail Dresses
- 1960's Vintage Buttercream Chiffon Gown with Embellished Bodice Size 2Located in Los Angeles, CAThis gown is composed of buttercream hued silk chiffon. Features a center back zipper closure and waist belt. In excellent vintage condition. **Please cross-reference measurem...Category
1960s American Evening Dresses
- 1960's Ivory Beaded Cocktail Dress Size 8-10Located in Los Angeles, CAThis cocktail dress is composed of a white (Ivory hue) silk with beading and short sleeves. There is a center back zipper closure. In excellent vintage condition. **Please cro...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- Elaborately Beaded French FLapper Dress, c.1920sLocated in New York, NYElaborately Beaded French FLapper Dress, c.1920s Indigo knee-length gauze Flapper dress with intricate beading of art deco style motifs in shades of indigo, blue and silver. Featurin...Category
1920s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Emanuel Ungaro Resort 2015 Runway Cutout Bra Zebra Mini DressBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in Naples, FLEmanuel Ungaro Resort 2015 Runway Cutout Bra Zebra Mini Dress Size IT 38 Look 3 from the Resort 2015 Collection.Category
2010s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Tom Ford for Gucci c.2003 Plunging Bra Cutout Strappy Silk Evening Dress GownBy Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Naples, FLTom Ford for Gucci c.2003 Plunging Bra Cutout Strappy Silk Evening Dress Gown IT 40 Condition - good vintage condition with some minor discolorations throughout mostly on the bottom...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Azzedine Alaia S/S 1992 Runway Vintage Striped Bodycon Backless Maxi DressBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Naples, FLAzzedine Alaia S/S 1992 Runway Vintage Striped Bodycon Backless Maxi Dress Size S Alaïa maxi bodycon dress with striped print throughout, squared neckline,...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dolce & Gabbana Unworn Lace Print Bustier Bodycon Mini DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Naples, FLDolce & Gabbana Unworn Lace Print Bustier Bodycon Mini Dress IT 38Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
- KaufmanFranco Nude Silk Rhinestone Hand Beaded Bustier Cocktail Dress NWT Size 6By KaufmanFrancoLocated in Palm Springs, CAThis is one of favorite 2 cocktail dresses we have ever had. designed by KaufamnFranco, this nude/tan color silk dress is entirely hand beaded in rhinestones. different shape rhinest...Category
2010s Cocktail Dresses$1,613 Sale Price24% Off