Valentino Lace Dress
About the Item
The mononymously known Italian designer Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani (b. 1932) is renowned for his fashion house of romantic styles and feminine shapes that he founded in Rome in 1960.
An early fascination with fashion developed when Valentino attended the theater as a child and was dazzled by the evening gowns on stage. While a teenager in Voghera, Lombardy, he studied under Italian designer Ernestina Salvadeo and soon moved to Paris, where he trained at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. Valentino spent time apprenticing under haute couturiers Jean Dessès and Guy Laroche, learning how to design and construct high fashion while also thinking about how to strike out on his own.
In 1959, Valentino returned to Italy, and a year later, he opened his own salon, soon joining with longtime professional and personal partner Giancarlo Giammetti. It was located on Rome’s trendy Via Condotti and modeled after the French maisons. One of his earliest clients was Elizabeth Taylor, who discovered Valentino while she was in Rome filming Cleopatra and ordered the white dress that she wore to the premiere of Spartacus. When the designer launched his first couture line in 1962 with its fiery red colors, it was internationally celebrated, with Valentino soon attiring fashion trendsetters including Princess Margaret and Audrey Hepburn. He formed an especially close friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, for whom he designed numerous dresses. Luxurious drapery with fine needlework, bold uses of color and dramatic flourishes would define Valentino fashion across the decades.
As a fashion house, Valentino is best known for its signature Valentino Red color, though one of its iconic lines is the monochromatic “no colour” collection for which the designer won the Neiman Marcus Award in 1967. (The collection also debuted his trademark “V.”) The white and beige dresses led to a demand for Valentino wedding gowns, with clients including Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. Valentino retired from his fashion empire in 2007, with Alessandra Facchinetti and then the duo Maria Grazia Chiuri (who departed in 2016) and Pierpaolo Piccioli succeeding him as creative directors. But Valentino still steps out of retirement for special occasions, such as designing a wedding gown for Princess Madeleine of Sweden in 2013. Today, the brand has expanded far beyond women’s haute couture and prêt-à-porter to encompass various lines of accessories, including shoes, sunglasses, scarves and perfume.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Thousand Oaks, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Walter Collection Embellished Mesh Skater DressLocated in Thousand Oaks, CATutu mini dress by Walter Collection with sheer nude mesh bodice featuring strategically placed beaded and sequined embellishments and a white satin ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christopher Kane x Disney Rosettes DressBy Christopher KaneLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAChristopher Kane x Disney Rosettes Dress Tulle cocktail dress in pale lilac with snap-on rosette appliqué by Christopher Kane for Disney. This sleeveles...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Alexander McQueen NWT Dusty Rose Cap Sleeve Cocktail DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAAlexander McQueen Dusty Rose Cap Sleeve Cocktail Dress . Never Worn - Tags Attached. Figure Hugging. Sweetheart neckline, with cap sleeves. Light Pink with metallic threading which...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- JW Anderson Black Fringe Shift DressLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAJ.W.Anderson Black Fringe Shift Dress Sheer detailing with a panel of loose hanging fringe in the middle of the front. Hard to capture this stunning dress in photos. Tags still on,...Category
2010s Cocktail Dresses
- Jay Ahr Black Silk and Brown Sequin Cocktail Dress Size SmallLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAJay Ahr Black Silk and Brown Sequin Cocktail Dress Size Small. High neck with low hanging back. Brown, flat metallic sequins layover black silk to create this truly unique look. D...Category
2010s Unknown Cocktail Dresses
- Gucci Teal, Silk Halter, Cocktail DressBy GucciLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAGucci Teal Halter Cocktail Dress - with many different options to style it! Inner black gold inlay on the neck and detailed tassels with attached scarf. S...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail DressesFree Shipping
- New Emilio Pucci Purple Knit Stretch Sheath DressBy Emilio PucciLocated in San Francisco, CAEmilio Pucci Purple stretch knit dress with boat neck and H shaped panel detail at front. Back zip and hook and eye. Branded 'Pucci' at zipper. Please no...Category
2010s Italian Casual Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2008 Unworn Silk Blue Paisley Strapless Dress Floaty SkirtBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAmazing Alexander McQueen floaty silk strapless dress in a blue and white paisley with a few soft pinkish-red accents throughout, circa 2008. Soft pleats at bust, skirt hangs in sepa...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses
- Leonard of Paris Fuschia Multi Color Silk Chiffon Strapless GownBy Leonard of ParisLocated in New York, NYVintage Leonard of Paris bright and flirty ruffled silk chiffon cocktail dress / evening gown, unmarked size, approximately US 6. Featuring four layer...Category
Late 20th Century French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Giorgio Armani F/W 2007 Dove Grey Crystal Embellished Dress It.42By Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Montgomery, TXGiorgio Armani Crystal Embellished Dress Designer size - 42 ( S ) Sleeveless grey silk dress with black shoulder straps, jewel embellishments throughou...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses