- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Mary McFadden for Bergdorf Goodman Burgundy Embroidered and Beaded Evening Coat
- DimensionsMarked Size: 10 (US)
- Style1980-1990 (Of the Period)
- Place of OriginUnited States
- ConditionBeads may be missing but I have not noticed any. This is a vintage piece so it is not 100% pristine, however it is close to it.
- Seller LocationBrooklyn, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2292212570042
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$20 $15 Standard Parcel Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 5-10 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Brooklyn, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Less could have been expected from a well-bred society girl like Mary McFadden (b. 1938), who stepped out of the safe confines of the haut monde to create iconic designs inspired by ancient and ethnic cultures and traditions. Fashion, in fact, was not initially on her agenda.
“I fell into it backwards,” she told the New York Times in 1979.
Born in New York but raised on a cotton plantation in Memphis, Tennessee, McFadden spent a few months at the Traphagen School of Fashion in 1956 and moved on to study sociology and anthropology at Columbia University. Afterward, she spent a short period of time in public relations at Christian Dior during the early 1960s, but she was unsure exactly what would lie ahead for her. McFadden decided to relocate to South Africa with her first husband, who oversaw production of the De Beers mines. While there, she began to design her own clothes — tunics that featured African prints, made of silk she’d found in Madagascar — because she couldn’t find anything that suited her.
In 1970, following two divorces, McFadden returned to her native New York City and was offered a job as an editor at Vogue magazine. Her colleagues admired the sophisticated garments she made in South Africa and had been wearing to work, and the magazine staffers pleaded to feature her designs, which meant she’d need to go into business in order to make them available to readers. So, in 1973, McFadden took the jump, soon becoming known for refreshing kimono-shaped jackets and richly colored pleated dresses that evoke the freedom of a Greek chiton — a far cry from the dull routine office attire for working women at the time. A collection of jewelry followed, and in 1977, McFadden patented her “marii” fabric, a pleated synthetic charmeuse that fell “like liquid gold on the body, like Chinese silk.”
In 1976, McFadden won her first Coty American Fashion Critics’ Award, and a few years later, she entered the Coty Award Hall of Fame. While her business shuttered in the early 2000s, the beloved designer’s timeless styles endure.
Shop authentic Mary McFadden clothing, accessories and brooches on 1stDibs today.
- By Mary McFaddenLocated in Brooklyn, NYMary McFadden Couture Royal Blue Embroidered Quilted Flower Appliqué Jacket Size US 2, Cobalt Blue Embroidery a...Category
Late 20th Century Blazers$3,000 Sale Price25% Off
- By Mary McFaddenLocated in Brooklyn, NYMary McFadden Couture Blue Silk Embroidered Detail Skirt Suit Set Size US 8Category
- By Mary McFaddenLocated in Brooklyn, NYIntricate geometric/arabesque multi colored beadwork throughout. Gold metal threaded embroidery with rhinestone ...Category
Late 20th Century Bolero Jackets$6,000 Sale Price25% Off
- By Mary McFaddenLocated in Brooklyn, NYMary McFadden Couture Iconic Tropical Sequins, Beaded, and Embroidered Cropped Bolero/Jacket. Size US 4.Category
1980s Bolero Jackets$9,088 Sale Price20% Off
- By Mary McFaddenLocated in Brooklyn, NYMary McFadden Gold Embroidered Beaded Jacket with Metal Strip Work. Cross hatched pattern with floral embroidere...Category
1990s Jackets$9,000 Sale Price25% Off
You May Also Like
1970s Single-Breasted Jackets
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary Jackets
1980s Cocktail Dresses
1980s Evening Gowns
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery