Mary McFadden Couture Jacket Sequins Evening Cocktail Formal Embellished Vintage
About the Item
- Dimensions:Bust: 42 in (106.68 cm)Waist: 29 in (73.66 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 21 in (53.34 cm)
- Style:contemporary (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Zipper needs replacement; missing the slider on it's zipper.
- Seller Location:Port Saint Lucie, FL
- Reference Number:Seller: Mary McFadden Couture Jacket 1stDibs: LU407221013952
Less could have been expected from a well-bred society girl like Mary McFadden, who stepped out of the safe confines of the haut monde to create iconic designs for evening dresses, jackets, skirts and other items inspired by ancient and ethnic cultures and traditions. Fashion, in fact, was not initially on her agenda.
“I fell into it backwards,” she told the New York Times in 1979.
Born in New York but raised on a cotton plantation in Memphis, Tennessee, McFadden spent a few months at the Traphagen School of Fashion in 1956 and moved on to study sociology and anthropology at Columbia University. Afterward, she spent a short period of time in public relations at Christian Dior during the early 1960s, but she was unsure exactly what would lie ahead for her. McFadden decided to relocate to South Africa with her first husband, who oversaw production of the De Beers mines. While there, she began to design her own clothing — tunics that featured African prints, made of silk she’d found in Madagascar — because she couldn’t find anything that suited her.
In 1970, following two divorces, McFadden returned to her native New York City and was offered a job as an editor at Vogue magazine. Her colleagues admired the sophisticated garments she made in South Africa and had been wearing to work, and the magazine staffers pleaded to feature her designs, which meant she’d need to go into business in order to make them available to readers. So, in 1973, McFadden took the jump, soon becoming known for refreshing kimono-shaped jackets and richly colored pleated dresses that evoke the freedom of a Greek chiton — a far cry from the dull routine office attire for working women at the time. A collection of jewelry followed, and in 1977, McFadden patented her “marii” fabric, a pleated synthetic charmeuse that fell “like liquid gold on the body, like Chinese silk.”
In 1976, McFadden won her first Coty American Fashion Critics’ Award, and a few years later, she entered the Coty Award Hall of Fame. While her business shuttered in the early 2000s, the beloved designer’s timeless styles endure.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Port Saint Lucie, FL
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Jean Muir Black Suede Jacket with Perforated Trim and Lucite Buttons Vintage Sz8By Jean MuirLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLThis incredibly supple black suede jacket was designed by Jean Muir in the late 1970s. Made from black suede leather, it fastens with lucite barrel buttons and has a perforated bord...Category
1970s British Jackets
- Jean Muir Black Wool Jacket with Micro Pleated Collar & Soutache Sleeves MBy Jean MuirLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned, vintage Jean Muir black wool jacket with micro pleat collar, likely made in the 80s. Romantic and sophisticated, it features a mic...Category
1970s British Jackets
- Bonnie Cashin for Sills Leather Jacket Kimono Sleeves Orange Zig Zag Edges RareBy Bonnie Cashin, Bonnie Cashin for SillsLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned, vintage Bonnie Cashin for Sills orange leather jacket, likely made in the 60s. A chic kimono sleeve leather jacket in a vib...Category
1960s American Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent Cardigan Colorful Knit Feather Trim 90s YSL Rive Gauche Sz 38By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLImpossible to find vintage 90s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche multicolor knit cardigan jacket with Marabou feather collar, size 38. As seen on the runway. Made from alpaca wool ble...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Junya Watanabe Black Ruffle Poncho Comme des Garçons MBy Junya Watanabe Comme des GarçonsLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned Junya Watanabe Comme de Garcons black cotton ruffle poncho, tagged size M. Hard to find style. Massive amount of cotton fabric & features several ties enabling a variety of looks with hook/eye closure at neckline. A chic avant-garde piece that's easy to wear and style! Previously owned by...Category
Early 2000s Japanese Jackets
- Bonnie Cashin for Sills Tunic Dress Lilac Suede Saks 5th Ave Vintage 60s NOS NWTBy Bonnie Cashin, Bonnie Cashin for SillsLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned, vintage Bonnie Cashin for Sills lilac purple suede tunic dress or tabard, likely made in the 60s. Originally sold by Saks 5th Avenue, where it retailed for $100 ...Category
1960s American Day Dresses
- Louis Vuitton Black Denim Ruffled Crop Jacket MBy Louis VuittonLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Infuse an extra dose of style into your outfit with this highly fashionable jacket. Tailored from quality materials, it embodies a contemporary vibe and is filled with functional cha...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- Jacket and Skirt by Kenzo Takada, Jungle & Tiger Print on Denim - French C. 1990By Kenzo TakadaLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1990 France Iconic denim jacket and skirt printed with Kenzo Takada's famous jungle and tiger motif, dating from the 1990s. Slim-fit jacket with double topstitching, back plack...Category
1990s French Jackets
- A Vintage 1980s Embroidered Chinese Jacket with Fur Lining.Located in London, GBA chic vintage fur lined Chinese jacket. The jacket is in a black silk with yellow/green floral design , and is fur lined. It fastens with toggles, a...Category
1980s Chinese Jackets
- Vintage Double Breasted Wool BlazerBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBVintage Jean Paul Gaultier wool blazer. Features double breasted silhouette, front left chest pocket and two hip pockets in a wool tartan with full interior lining. In great vintage ...Category
1980s French Blazers
- 1980s Double-breasted charcoal fitted Jean Paul Gaultier blazerBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Milano, IT1980s Double-breasted charcoal fitted Jean Paul Gaultier blazer, tight at the waist with decorative pleats on the front. SIZE IT: 44 SIZE USA: 10 MEASURES: Shoulders: 44 cm CIRC Bu...Category
- HERMES Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage stripe cinched cargo worker vest jacket FR36 SBy Jean Paul Gaultier, HermèsLocated in Hong Kong, NTHERMES Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage khaki orange stripe cinched cargo worker vest jacket FR36 S Reference: TGAS/D00379 Brand: Hermes Designer: Jean Paul...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Vests