- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vivienne Westwood 1990s Lipstick Red Wool Blazer
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
- 1980s Silver Lining Red Knit Mink Tail VestLocated in Scottsdale, AZGet avant-garde this season with our incredible mink tail vest from Silver Lining! Super cool oversized silhouette with pleat-like construction. Bright red knitted fabric made from a...Category
- Dynasty 1960s Beaded Phoenix JacketBy DynastyLocated in Scottsdale, AZTalk about a true vintage piece! Designed by Dynasty circa 1960s, this red satin cropped jacket is completely hand beaded with a variety of colorful sequins, rhinestones and pearls t...Category
- CHANEL 1980's Lipstick Red Boucle Wool BlazerBy Chanel Boutique, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZ***Matching belt available on separate posting*** Chanel but make it RED HOT! Take a piece of history with this rare and detailed blazer. This highly textured double-breasted blaze...Category
- Jean Claude Jitrois 1980s Diamond Pattern Leather Wrap JacketBy Jean-Claude JitroisLocated in Scottsdale, AZFeel All Of The 80s Vibes In This Leather Jacket! Circa 1980s, this Jean Claude Jitrois peach leather wrap jacket features strong shoulders, a sweetheart neck and a contrasting white...Category
- Vivienne Westwood Classic Pink Orb Clutch BagBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Scottsdale, AZMake a statement with our Vivienne Westwood - Classic Orb, pink moc croc embossed leather clutch bag with an oversize golden Vivienne Westwood orb, detachable strap and top zip fast...Category
Late 20th Century Clutches
- Luanne Rimel 1980s Abstract Motif Silk DusterLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate all your looks with this amazing Luanne Rimel duster! Circa 1980s, this silk duster features an all over abstract motif comprised of various geometric designs. Includes gorge...Category
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary Sport Jackets
Early 2000s Jackets
1990s Coats and Outerwear
1990s Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
1990s Bolero Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery