A/W 1988 Paco Rabanne Haute Couture Gold Chainmail Bustier Gown
About the Item
Visionary designer Paco Rabanne first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he introduced dresses, handbags and other clothing and accessories that went against the common sensibilities of the time and challenged the public's perception of what fashion should be. By working with unlikely materials such as paper and Rhodoid — a cellulose acetate plastic often used to line baking pans — Rabanne forced the fashion world to reconsider materials and form.
Rabanne was born Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo in Spain’s Basque region. His mother was the head seamstress at Balenciaga when she relocated herself and her son to France in 1939 to escape the Spanish Civil War. Once in France, he took on the name Paco Rabanne.
Rabanne studied architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris but pivoted toward fashion and began to design accessories and costume jewelry. Rabanne collaborated with many acclaimed luxury houses — his early clients included Charles Jourdan, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin and Dior.
By 1966, Rabanne was working on avant-garde designs in his own newly-opened studio. He introduced a couture collection titled “Twelve Unwearable Dresses in Contemporary Materials.” The garments — made of aluminum, plastic and eco-friendly paper and fastened with wire — were unveiled at a show that featured music and models of color (both uncommon characteristics for such an event). Sculptural, sexy and solidly Space Age in appearance, Rabanne’s experiments turned heads. Pop star-actresses Brigitte Bardot and Françoise Hardy would soon be seen in the designer’s iconic metallic dresses, and Rabanne found enthusiasts in the likes of revolutionary couturier Elsa Schiaparelli and art collector Peggy Guggenheim. In 1968 Rabanne designed leather boots and erotically charged dresses made of molded plastic and chain-mail mesh for the science fiction film Barbarella.
Rabanne called Salvador Dalí a close friend and drew on the Surrealist movement in his designs. He continued to use unconventional materials in his work. From aluminum jersey and fur to ostrich feathers and Velcro, everything was suitable for his pioneering garments. And Rabanne’s talents are diverse — his prolific output even includes stylish furniture.
In 1999 Rabanne retired from the fashion business. In 2010 he was named Officer of the Legion d’Honneur by the French culture minister. Today, under the creative direction of French designer Julien Dossena, the Paco Rabanne brand continues to innovate and offer looks that nod to the past as well as the future.
Find vintage Paco Rabanne clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: North Hollywood, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- S/S 1998 Atelier Versace Haute Couture Purple Strapless Oroton Chainmail TopBy Atelier VersaceLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1998 Atelier Versace (Haute Couture) purple strapless Oroton chainmail top. Fully chainmail exterior with purple silk-satin interior lining. Atelier Versace signature 'Oroton' ch...Category
- S/S 2005 Comme des Garcons White Tank Top with Saddle Stitch DetailsBy Comme des GarçonsLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 2005 Comme des Garcons white tank top with saddle stitched details throughout. High v-neck sleeveless oversized tank top with large keyhole cutout o...Category
Early 2000s Japanese Shirts
- 2000's Romeo Gigli White and Gold ID Tank TopBy Romeo GigliLocated in North Hollywood, CA2000's Romeo Gigli ID tank top with sparkly "Gigli" across chest. White cotton round neck racerback tank top with gold-tone glitter and rhinestones throughout. Maroon mirror...Category
Early 2000s Tank Tops
- A/W 1992 Vivienne Westwood 'Always on Camera' Collection Rolls Royce Button-UpBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in North Hollywood, CAA/W 1992 Vivienne Westwood 'Always on Camera' Collection Rolls Royce screen-printed cotton button-up long sleeve. Oversized blue and heather gray patterned collared top with light br...Category
- S/S 1991 Issey Miyake Blue 3D Cage TopBy Issey MiyakeLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1991 Issey Miyake deep blue 3D cage top with laser-cut accents throughout. Short sleeve top with bateau neckline. An incredible multi-dimensional piece of wearable art, with incr...Category
- A/W 1992 Vivienne Westwood 'Always on Camera' Rolls Royce Print CorsetBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in North Hollywood, CAA/W 1992 Vivienne Westwood 'Always on Camera' collection Rolls Royce print super rare denim corset. Fitted sleeveless corset with boning and blue and white Rolls Royce print on front...Category
- Fear of God Logo Print Mesh Jersey Men's Long Sleeve Shirt Size XLBy Fear of GodLocated in Downey, CAFear of God Logo Print Mesh Jersey Men's Long Sleeve Shirt Size XL Fear Of God hallmarks a classic black T-shirt with its white logo print for the new season. It's shaped in the USA...Category
- Amazing Vintage Ricky Nell Cow Hide Leather + Suede Fringed Boho Bib CollarLocated in San Diego, CAIncredibly chic vintage 1970s 70s RICKY NELL leather, suede, and cowhide leather fringed collar, bib or crop top! Features a brown and white cowhide, brown,...Category
1970s American Crop Tops
- Edwardian Black Silk Crepe De Chine Blouse With Military Passementerie & LinedLocated in New York, NYEdwardian Black Silk Crepe De Chine Blouse With Military Passementerie & Lined In CottonCategory
Early 1800s Blouses and Tops
- D&G DOLCE GABBANA Vintage 2001 Runway SilverSnake leather corset blouse IT38 XSBy D&G by DOLCE & GABBANALocated in Hong Kong, NTD&G DOLCE GABBANA Vintage 2001 Runway SilverSnake leather corset blouse IT38 XS Reference: ANWU/A00653 Brand: D&G Collection: Fall Winter 2001 Runway Material: Leather Color: Bl...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses and Tops
- new UNDERCOVER 2019 Clockwork Orange black vampire rose print tshirt JP2 MBy UndercoverLocated in Hong Kong, NTnew UNDERCOVER 2019 Clockwork Orange black vampire rose print tshirt JP2 M Reference: TGAS/D00203 Brand: Undercover Collection: 2019 Clockwork Orange Material: Cotton Color: Black, P...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese T-Shirts
- New 1990s La Perla Black and Nude Lace Sexy Vintage 90s Bustier Corset TopBy La PerlaLocated in San Diego, CASexy and never worn 1990s LA PERLA black and padded nude lace bustier top! Features a black elastic bodice that stretches to fit, with a nude elastic bust. Black lace overlay is eleg...Category
1990s Italian Bustiers