- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Bill Blass 1980s Vintage Red & Navy Lycra Faux Pocket Gold Button Swimsuit
- DimensionsMarked Size: 10 - (Fits - UK 10) (US)Bust: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Waist: 30 in. (76.2 cm)Hip: 36 in. (91.44 cm)
- Place of OriginUnited States
- Material Notes- Red Seersucker Lycra Swimsuit - Navy Plain Lycra Knicker - Gold Button Detail - x 2 Front Faux Pockets
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationKENT, GB
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2174211643762
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingEstimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: KENT, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
- 1950s Vintage 'Graffiti' Print Swimsuit Overskirt Detail & Padded Breast CupsLocated in KENT, GBProduct Details: 'Graffiti' Print Swimsuit inc Overskirt Detail & Padded Breast Cups Label: Unknown Era: 1950s Vintage Fabric Content: Printed Stretch Jersey Size: UK 10/12 Bust: ...Category
- 1950s Vintage Hand Knitted Puff Sleeve Knitted Bow Effect Sweater JumperLocated in KENT, GBProduct Details: Hand Knitted Sweater - Back Button Detail - 3/4 Length Sleeves - Puff Sleeve Detail - Contrasting Black Knitted Bow Effect / Front Sweater Label: Unknown Era: c.1950...Category
- Paul Howie 1980s Vintage Lycra Panel DressLocated in KENT, GBProduct Details: Neon Red & Turquoise Blue - Lycra Dress Label: Paul Howie Era: c.1980 Fabric Content: Lycra Mix Size: UK 10 Bust: 32/40" Waist: 25/32" Hips: 34/40" Side Seam: 35" Co...Category
1980s Evening Dresses
- Holly Harp 1970s Vintage Asymmetric Multi Layer Jersey Dress & ScarfBy Holly HarpLocated in KENT, GBProduct details: Holly Harp - Asymmetric, Multi Layer Jersey Dress (Including Detachable Scarf) Label: Holly Harp Era: c.1970 Fabric Content: Stretch Viscose Size: S - UK 10 - 12 Bus...Category
1970s Evening Dresses
- Isabel Marant - Mainline - ‘Riley’ - Coated Cotton + Suede Tassel Shorts - NEWLocated in KENT, GBProduct Details: Isabel Marant - Mainline - ‘Riley’ - Coated Cotton Jean Shorts - NEW - Suede Tassel Concho Detailing / Side Shorts - Piped Panel Detail + Button Fasten / Front Short...Category
2010s Short Suits
- Moschino 1990s Vintage Embroidered Tassel Fringe Tie Cape TopBy MoschinoLocated in KENT, GBProduct Details: Moschino - 1990s Vintage - Embroidered - Tassel Fringe Cape Label: Moschino Era: c.1990 Fabric Content: Silk / Tassel Fringe - Cotton Base / Embroidery Size: One Si...Category
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century Swimwear
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery