Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere Black Leather & Studded Chrome Bag 2007
About the Item
- Style:2007 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. We consider the piece to be in excellent vintage condition.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4520433252
Starting as a modest boutique, Balenciaga evolved to transform the landscape of women’s fashion with shapes and contours during the middle of the 20th century that were nothing less than groundbreaking. Today, the brand is as venturesome as ever and is well known for its shoes, handbags, streetwear and other clothing and accessories.
Though he was born in the quiet fishing village of Getaria in Spain’s Basque region, Cristóbal Balenciaga (1895–1972) was destined to reshape modern fashion. As a child, he worked alongside his seamstress mother. Showing immense talent, he earned commissions as a teenager from local patron Marquesa de Casa Torres, who paid for his tailoring education in Madrid. In 1917, he established his first haute couture house — named Eisa, for his mother — in the trendy resort town San Sebastián. He soon followed it with boutiques in Madrid and Barcelona, drawing such clientele as the Spanish royal family.
When the Spanish Civil War put a hold on his prospects in Spain, the designer moved to Paris, opening a house on Avenue Georges V in 1937. There, Balenciaga rubbed elbows with fashion greats like Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli and quickly won over clients like Gloria Guinness, Pauline de Rothschild and Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor. As a couturier, Balenciaga drew from his Spanish heritage for ideas, riffing on everything from matador costumes and flamenco dresses to the paintings of Diego Velázquez, whose portraits of Spanish princesses famously inspired Balenciaga’s Infanta gown.
An expert tailor, he experimented with sculptural silhouettes that didn’t follow the body. Some of his notable designs include the 1953 balloon jacket, and from 1957, the cocoon coat, the baby-doll dress and the sack dress, which he popularized with his good friend designer Hubert de Givenchy. All of these could be considered not just the masterpieces of haute couture, but also objets d’art in their own right, leading to Balenciaga’s nickname, “The Master.”
Balenciaga continued designing until 1968, when he retired after three decades of influential work and his fashion house went dormant. The rights to Balenciaga were acquired by Jacques Bogart S.A. in 1986. Under designer Michel Goma, who focused on ready-to-wear, the brand experienced a resurgence, with his first collection introduced in 1987. The brand returned to high fashion with the arrival of designer Josephus Thimister in 1992. It has since been led by a series of creative directors who have paid homage to Balenciaga’s iconic designs, including Nicolas Ghesquière, Alexander Wang and, most recently, Demna Gvasalia. In 2011, a museum celebrating Balenciaga’s legacy opened in his hometown in Spain, commemorating where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Gucci 1970s Canvas & Leather Sun Print Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Los Angeles, CAA vintage Gucci navy canvas shoulder bag with yellow and white sun print. Leather shoulder strap zipper top, and brass-tone metal hardware. Excelle...Category
1970s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Miu Miu Orange Patent & Red Shearling BagBy Miu MiuLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage 1990s Miu Miu red and orange patent leather and shearling shoulder bag featuring small pocket with velcro closure, back slit pocket...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Walter Van Beirendonck Hologram Cosmetics BagBy Walter Van BeirendonckLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Walt cosmetic bag featuring four holographic panels, a top zipper, and a "W" keychain. Walt O...Category
1990s Belgian Novelty Bags
- Miu Miu Braunes Lackleder Psychedelischer Gürtel für GürteltascheBy Miu MiuLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage freut sich, eine Vintage Miu Miu Gürteltasche aus bordeauxfarbenem Lackleder mit einem psychedelisch bedruckten, verstellbaren Hologramm-Gürtel, Klettverschlüsse...Category
1990er Italienisch Portemonnaies, Brieftaschen und kleine Accessoires
- Miu Miu Black & White Abstract Pattern Bowling BagBy Miu MiuLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Miu Miu black and white bowling bag style handbag that features a geometric print, black leather trim and bow, front pocket with fl...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Perry Ellis By Marc Jacobs Striped Strapless Dress 1992By Perry Ellis, Marc JacobsLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to present a vintage Perry Ellis by Marc Jacobs striped strapless dress with a center back zipper, black pocket flaps, black accents and pom-poms. P...Category
1990s American Mini Dresses
- Hermes Mini Kelly 20cm Mauve VIP Epsom Shoulder Bag, U Stamp, 2022By HermèsLocated in New York, NYChicjoy is pleased to present this stunning Hermes Mini Kelly 20cm in Mauve VIP Epsom Shoulder Bag, U Stamp, 2022 Just purchased from Hermes store; ba...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Mini Kelly 20cm Vert Jade VIP Epsom Gold Shoulder Bag, Z Stamp, 2021By HermèsLocated in New York, NYChicjoy is pleased to present this Hermes Mini Kelly 20cm Vert Jade VIP Epsom Gold Hardware Just purchased from Hermes store; bag bears new 2021 Z Stamp. Brand New in Box. Store Fre...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Empreinte Leather Dune St Germain MM Bag (2015)By Louis VuittonLocated in Montreal, QuebecThis bag is made from a supple grained cowhide called Empreinte leather with Louis Vuitton's signature monogram pattern embossed. The ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
- Fendi Logo Printed Marc Jacobs Leather Baguette BagBy FendiLocated in Montreal, QuebecThis iconic baguette bag is part of the fendi by marc jacobs limited edition. This style is made of leather with a macro version of the fendi logo printed all over in black and white...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Empreinte Leather Black Félicie Pochette (2019)By Louis VuittonLocated in Montreal, QuebecThis Pochette Félicie is made from a supple grained cowhide called Empreinte leather with Louis Vuitton's signature monogram pattern embossed. The bag features textile lining, gold t...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Shoulder Bags
- Versace Medusa Black Petite Round Hand BagBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Amsterdam, NLVersace round medusa bag clutch We offer more vintage exclusive items, view our frontstore Details: Made with silver hardware, medusa with litlle rhinestones Closes with a press bu...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags