- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Black Cropped Mini Jacket
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Small (No Tag) (EU)
- Style:Cropped Jacket (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. We consider this piece to be in excellent vintage condition.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4517653962
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Gaultier Brown Embroidered Brocade BlazerBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Jean Paul Gaultier plum blazer featuring embroidery and trim detailing, a flared peplum, and two rows of buttons along the front. ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Yohji Black Detachable Sleeve BlazerBy Yohji YamamotoLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Yohji Yamamoto black blazer featuring two reversed darts at the front torso and two removable long sleeves that get pulled through a hole atop either shoulder to hold their p...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Blazers
- Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal Wood Vest 2011By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal Wood Vest. Two layers of wood lined with leather and held together by thread to form a vest. Runway piece from...Category
20th Century French Vests
- Comme des Garcons Navy Padded Jacket 2010By Comme des GarçonsLocated in Los Angeles, CAComme des Garcons Navy Padded Jacket 2010Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Jackets
- Dolce & Gabbana Pink Magenta Nylon Bomber With Hood and Black Fur Trim 2003By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection is excited to offer a vintage Dolce & Gabbana magenta nylon bomber featuring a black fur trim hood, multiple pockets, zippers, knit cuffs, and waistband. Dolce & Gabba...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Balenciaga By Ghesquiere Grey Wool & Leather Peplum Jacket 2002Located in Los Angeles, CAResurrection is pleased to offer a vintage Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere grey wool jacket featuring black leather motorcycle style long sleeves, a fitted body, notch collar, and p...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Sheer Nude Mesh Maxi Dress, Spring-Summer 2001By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Geneva, CHThe Look No 67 (see pictures 2 & 3) of the 2001 Jean Paul Gaultier Spring-Summer runway show, this amazing dress is cut from stretchy ribbed-mesh and refined nude silk chiffon. The m...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Dolce & Gabbana black corset 'Pin-Up' mini dress, fw 1991By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana corset 'Pin-Up' mini dress ▪ Black satin and spandex ▪ Ruffled hem with lace underlay ▪ Moiré ribbon bow ▪ Metal corset hooks at the centre-back opening ▪ Adjus...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano peach silk strapless dress, ss 2004By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior white strapless dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Spring-Summer 2004 ▪ Cupro-jersey tube top with elastic ruched side seams ▪ Silk...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier red silk long sleeve corset, ss 2008By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier corset ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Constructed from red silk ▪ Full sleeves ▪ Off-shoulder neckline with drawstring ties ▪ Structured bodice with multip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Corsets
- Alexander McQueen gold metal chain evening mini dress, ss 2006By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GB▪ Rare Alexander McQueen gold metal chain evening mini dress ▪ Gold and silver metal chain embroidery ▪ Heavy weight ▪ Chain tassel trim ▪ Built-in corset and bra ▪ IT 40 - FR 36 -...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 1999 Runway Floral print dressBy Jean Paul Gaultier Classique, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Rome, ITJean Paul Gaultier flower print maxi dress from the S/S 1999 collection, worn by Devon Aoki. Long sleeves with crochet cuffs, meant to be worn off the shoulders. Brown inner petticoa...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- F/W 2003 Roberto Cavalli Runway Shearling Brown Leather Strapless Mini DressBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: F/W 2003 Roberto Cavalli Runway- the necklace shown with the dress is available in another listing CONDITION: Fair- leather is meant to look worn and distressed- no main la...Category
Early 2000s Italian Mini Dresses
- S/S 2001 Jean Paul Gaultier Sheer Black Lace Trim Hi-Low Gown Mini DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: S/S 2001 Jean Paul Gaultier CONDITION: Flawless! FABRIC: Polyester COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 44 MEASUREMENTS; provided as a courtesy only- not a guarantee of fit: Chest: 34...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Christian Dior by John Galliano pink silk chiffon rose print dress, ss 1999By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior pink silk chiffon rose print dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Bias cut ▪ Frills around neckline, shoulders, and skirt ▪ Spaghetti straps and off-shoulder straps ...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vivienne Westwood black knitted sweater top, skirt and socks set, fw 1994By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood black crochet-knit 3-piece set ▪ Short-sleeved wool sweater top ▪ High-slit cotton skirt with draw string faste...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Sleeveless Leather JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Austin, TX1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Sleeveless Leather Jacket Condition: Good, all over wear Size L 42" bust, 38" waist, 20" length 100% leather / Cotton liningCategory
1990s French Vests
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 22.05 inches (56 cm) Sleeves: 24 inches (61 cm) Bust: 24 i...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15 inches (38.10 cm) Sleeve...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier, JPG by GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 43.30 inches (110 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - Dark denim 2 in 1 convertible dress...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer Jacket Approximate measurements taken laid flat, double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 22 inches (56 cm) Bust: 18.11 inches (46 cm) Waist: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Length: 31.89 inches (81 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - From Gaultier 1996...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Vintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest JacketBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 19.29...Category
1980s French Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
You Saw It at the Met Ball. Here’s What Camp Fashion Is Really About
This year's Costume Institute exhibition is all about embracing the eccentric.
After Centuries, the Kimono’s Influence on Fashion Is Still Strong
We talked to museum curators and fashion experts to find out how and why the kimono has remained endlessly fascinating for more than 1,000 years.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery