Lanvin Brown Leather Double Strap Purse W/ Silver Hardware
About the Item
The career of Jeanne Lanvin (1867–1946) and her eponymous brand began with a millinery apprenticeship in the late 19th century. Today, Lanvin Paris is a globally revered company and is among the oldest French fashion houses still in existence. It is renowned for its exquisite and sought-after vintage evening dresses, shoes, skirts and other garments and accessories and for having dressed such high-profile celebrities as Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman, Kim Kardashian and Sienna Miller.
In 1889, when her apprenticeship came to an end, the young French designer Jeanne Lanvin opened a custom hat shop on the rue Boissy d’Anglas in Paris. Four years later, she moved her business into a much more prominent space on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, one of the world’s most famous luxury fashion districts. The new Maison Lanvin was big enough to display the pieces she would design for her daughter, Marguerite, who was born in 1897. The relationship between Lanvin and her daughter would be at the core of the brand, with a 1907 photograph of Jeanne and Marguerite in matching outfits inspiring the fashion house’s enduring logo.
In 1908, Lanvin launched a line of children’s clothing, one of the first such moves in high-end fashion. When mothers came in to buy the clothes, they often asked for similar designs for themselves. Lanvin decided to introduce a women’s wear line with pieces that had a youthful femininity. This would grow to encompass everyday clothing, evening dresses, coats, lingerie and furs, as well as menswear, perfume and household items. Once she became a member of the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture (Parisian Fashion Council) in 1909, her title officially switched from milliner to designer.
Along with her stylish designs, Lanvin identified the importance of brand identity through fabric colors, opening a dye factory in Nanterre, France. There the distinctive “Lanvin blue” was produced, so even if her designs were copied, the colors could never be exactly reproduced.
After Jeanne Lanvin's death, her daughter, Marguerite Marie-Blanche de Polignac, took over and a series of talented artistic directors would propel the brand through the trends of the 20th century, including Jules François Crahay, Dominique Morlotti, Alber Elbaz and, most recently, Bruno Sialelli. In 2018, Lanvin was acquired by the Fosun Fashion Group, which is now focused on celebrating Lanvin’s heritage while pushing it into a new chapter.
Find vintage Lanvin Paris clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Lucille de Paris Large Crocodile Top Handle BagBy Lucille de ParisLocated in Los Angeles, CALucille de Paris Large Crocodile Top Handle Bag made in America, comes with coin purse and Lucille de Paris Mirror. In excellent condition. ...Category
1950s American Top Handle Bags
- Bellesto Crocodile Handbag, Circa 1960'sLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is a black crocodile handbag by Bellesto, from 1960. It has two handles which are 6" high, one main compartment, with three open pockets, and one zipped. It has gold detail on t...Category
1960s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Barnes Shoe Salon Black Crocodile Top Handle French Purse with Gold HardwareLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis Barnes Shoe Salon handbag is composed of a striking beautiful black Crocodile. It features gold hardware and interior compartments. In excellent vintage condition. Made in Franc...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Cordoba Alligator Handbag, Circa 1960'sLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is a black alligator handbag by Cordoba, from 1960. It has one handle, which is 5" high, one main compartment, with two open pockets, and one zips, with a gold clip closure.Category
1960s Top Handle Bags
- Koret Black Alligator Large Top Handle BagBy KoretLocated in Los Angeles, CAKoret Black Alligator Large Top Handle Bag made in America, comes with attached coin purse and a Kent London pocket Comb. VERY RARE Measurements: Height - 9.5 inches Width - 15 ...Category
1950s American Top Handle Bags
- Judith Leiber Black Snake Skin Bag W/ Gold DetailsBy Judith LeiberLocated in Los Angeles, CAJudith Leiber Black Snake Skin Bag W/ Gold Detail. From 1980s in excellent condition, Measurements: Length - 16 inches Height - 9 inches Width - 6 i...Category
1980s American Top Handle Bags
- Chanel Black Chevron Quilted Patent Leather Jumbo Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYListing Title: Chanel Black Chevron Quilted Patent Leather Jumbo Classic Single Flap Bag SKU: 121674 MSRP: 9500.00 Condition: Pre-owned Handbag Condition: Very Good Condition Commen...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
- HERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 15cm SellierBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 15cm Sellier Serial Number: (V) Age (Circa): 1992 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Box, Shoulder Strap Authentici...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- HERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Mini Kelly 20cmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Mini Kelly 20cm Serial Number: (U) Age (Circa): 1991 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Shoulder Strap Authenti...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- HERMÈS Black & Chocolate Gulliver Leather Vintage Kelly Quelle Idole DollBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Black & Chocolate Gulliver Leather Vintage Kelly Quelle Idole Doll Serial Number: [D] Age (Circa): 2000 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Box Authe...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- CHANEL Black Quilted Caviar Leather Vintage Medium Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Black Quilted Caviar Leather Vintage Medium Classic Single Flap Bag Serial Number: 6460058 Age (Circa): 2002 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Box Authenticity Details: Serial Sticker (Made in Italy) Gender: Ladies Type: Shoulder Colour: Black Hardware: Matte Gold Material(s): Caviar Leather Interior: Black Leather Closure: Turn Lock Height: 16cm Width: 26cm Depth: 5cm Strap Drop: 18cm -The exterior is in excellent condition with light minimal...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags