- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pair of Bronze LIONS Maitland Smith
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 20 in. (50.8 cm)Width: 41 in. (104.14 cm)Depth: 16 in. (40.64 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleAmerican Classical (Of the Period)
- Materials and TechniquesBronze,Enameled
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationSarasota, FL
- Reference NumberSeller: 80421stDibs: LU3322327687062
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Sarasota, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Mid-Century Modern Chinese Gwan Yin Statue on Wooden BaseLocated in Sarasota, FLNotice the color of the Gwan Yin sitting on the wooden stand! Mid-Century Modern color having wonderful detail.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern StatuesMaterials
- Antique Set of Three Tibetan Bronze Statues of ScholarsLocated in Sarasota, FLAntique set of three Tibetan bronze statues of scholars. Each caring a prayer inside.Category
Antique Mid-19th Century Chinese Chinese Export Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Pair of Chinese Foo DogsLocated in Sarasota, FLThis pair of hand carved Foo Dogs with a rounding red ball in each mouth of and polychromed. Will look fabulous and add alot to your home.Category
Antique Late 19th Century Chinese Chinese Export Sculptures and CarvingsMaterials
Fruitwood$2,456 / set
- Pair of Monumental Chinese VASESLocated in Sarasota, FLPair of Monumental Chinese from the Shi Wan Kilm in Guangzhou, China hand made and sculptured formed lily pads for each glazed with "leaded" glaze that is why the colors are so wonde...Category
Antique 1890s Chinese Chinese Export VasesMaterials
Pottery$3,886 / set
- Italy, Seated White Dog on PillowLocated in Sarasota, FLThis Italian made ceramic/ terracotta dog sits on a pillow. Having a collar around his neck and a protective look on his face.Category
Vintage 1950s American American Classical Animal SculpturesMaterials
- Modern Live Size Iron Fish SculptureLocated in Sarasota, FLBronze Aquatic Sculpture by Tom Trench. This piece was specially created for the gardens of prominent East Hampton Estate. Wonderful hand made sculpture of different size fish swim...Category
Vintage 1950s North American American Classical Animal SculpturesMaterials
You May Also Like
Mid-20th Century Neoclassical Revival Statues
Vintage 1980s Hollywood Regency Statues
Antique Mid-19th Century English Grand Tour Animal Sculptures
21st Century and Contemporary Statues
Antique Early 19th Century French Classical Roman Statues
Vintage 1950s Italian Neoclassical Statues
Mid-20th Century French Statues
Antique Late 19th Century French Baroque Statues
Antique 18th Century Italian Neoclassical Animal Sculptures
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery