Items Similar to From the Collection of Mario Buatta Pair of Botanical Dishes Creamware
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 9
From the Collection of Mario Buatta Pair of Botanical Dishes Creamware
Provenance: From the Private Collection of Mario Buatta This pair of 18th-century botanical dishes is part of the private collection of Mario Buatta. This is an especially lovely pair of dishes. Mario loved the beautiful flowers painted on English botanical dishes. He was our very best client for four decades. Just after the very successful Sotheby's sale Bardith was privileged to purchase items from his estate. This pair of 18th century hand painted creamware dishes was made by Swansea in Wales circa 1790. Dishes showing a single botanical flower were especially popular in late 18th century Great Britain as the scientific revolution began and British ships traveled the world often returning with new and unique specimens of flowers. The Swansea factory in Wales provided some of the very finest botanicals painted on dishes. The designs for these dishes were taken from Curtis's Botanical Magazine begun in 1787. On the back of the dish is the name of the flower inscribed in iron red. Each dish is named on the back in underglaze red: The pair of dishes measure 7.75" diameter. On the reverse, they are named: "Two Leave'd Lady's Sliper" and "Virgin's Bower" London..."Condition: Excellent Price for the pair $1500 For an image of similar Swansea Botanical dishes See: Jonathan Gray "The Cambrian Company, Swansea Pottery in London..."
- Attributed toSwansea Porcelain (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 1 in. (2.54 cm)Diameter: 7.75 in. (19.69 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleRomantic (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of OriginWales
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1790
- Seller LocationKatonah, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU866519816432
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$110 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 4-6 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Katonah, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 30 days of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in Katonah, NY
5 / 5
These prestigious sellers are industry leaders and represent the highest echelon for item quality and design.
These expertly vetted sellers are 1stDibs' most experienced sellers and are rated highest by our customers.
Established in 1962
1stDibs seller since 2009
243 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: <1 hour
More From This Seller
- By Ralph & James ClewsLocated in Katonah, NYProvenance: The Private Collection of Mario Buatta Mario loved deep blue and this pair of dishes has the deepes...Category
Antique Early 19th Century English Chinoiserie Decorative Dishes and Vid...Materials
EarthenwareH 1 in. Dm 10.5 in.$625 / set
- Located in Katonah, NYProvenance: The Private Collection of Mario Buatta Mario loved beautiful flowers and this blue and white dish i...Category
Antique 1830s English Romantic Decorative Dishes and Vide-PocheMaterials
EarthenwareH 1 in. Dm 10 in.$280
- By Ludwigsburg Porcelain ManufactoryLocated in Katonah, NYProvenance: The Private Collection of Mario Buatta Mario loved flowers and he loved well painted flowers on por...Category
Antique Late 18th Century German Romantic PorcelainMaterials
PorcelainH 1 in. Dm 9.25 in.$680 / set
- Located in Katonah, NYProvenance: The Private Collection of Mario Buatta This elegant pair of dishes have fluted borders with scallop...Category
Antique Early 19th Century French Neoclassical Decorative Dishes and Vid...Materials
PorcelainH 1.5 in. Dm 8.5 in.$670 / set
- By Ralph & James ClewsLocated in Katonah, NYProvenance: The Private Collection of Mario Buatta Mario loved dogs! In many of the homes he decorated he hung ...Category
Antique Early 19th Century English Romantic Decorative Dishes and Vide-P...Materials
EarthenwareH 1.5 in. Dm 6 in.$485
- By Chamberlains WorcesterLocated in Katonah, NYProvenance: The Private Collection of Mario Buatta Mario loved beautiful color combinations on porcelains. Mad...Category
Antique Early 19th Century English Regency Decorative Dishes and Vide-PocheMaterials
PorcelainH 1 in. Dm 8.5 in.$1,400 / item
You May Also Like
Pair of English Plain Creamware Openwork Baskets and Stands, circa 1780s-1990s
Located in Downingtown, PA
Pair of English plain creamware openwork baskets and stands circa 1780s-1790s. The plain creamware fruit baskets have openwork sides in the form of columns with bands of ropework...
Antique Late 18th Century English Georgian Pottery
Ceramic, Creamware, Pottery
Greber Pair of French Art Pottery Green Leaf Dishes, circa 1899-1933
By Charles Greber
Located in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire
A pair of French Greber art pottery dishes modeled as leaves, the stems forming handles decorated in green and brown glazes with Fine surface veining. Made in Beauvais and probably b...
Antique Early 1900s French Arts and Crafts Decorative Dishes and Vide-Poche
$627 Sale Price / set
19th Century Brown and Mint Creamware Terracotta Baroque Plate
Located in Miami, FL
Brown and mint creamware terracotta plate with late neoclassical watermark bordering scene depicting a bird typical of this period.
Early 20th Century Spanish Neoclassical Decorative Dishes and Vide-Poche
$487 Sale Price
Robert Picault Vallauris Four Teal Art Pottery Dishes, 1950s
By Robert Picault
Located in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire
A rare and important stunning French art pottery collection of four dishes comprising a large flat and shallow handled dish with two smaller examples and a small pottery salt by Robe...
Vintage 1950s French Mid-Century Modern Pottery
Yummy Collection of Hand-Painted Clay Fruit in Braided Bowl
Located in Hopewell, NJ
Wonderful table top accessory of hand-painted clay having a large braided fruit bowl filled with stylized watermelon wedge, bananas, oranges, etc.
Vintage 1970s American Decorative Bowls
Late 19th Century Large Mortar Carved from a Single Piece of Wood
Located in Leuven , BE
This Italian mortar dates from the early 19th century. It was used to mill grain and wheat. The object is carved out of a single piece of wood and has a wonderful age patina. The mor...
Antique Late 19th Century Italian Decorative Bowls
Large Japanese Pottery Charger in the Manner of Shoji Hamada
By Shoji Hamada
Located in Providence, RI
Large Japanese Studio Pottery charger, with tenmoku glaze, circa 1960s. Very much in the manner of Shoji Hamada. Charger measures: 18 1/2" in diameter, and stands 2" tall. Unsigned.
Mid-20th Century Japanese Mid-Century Modern Decorative Bowls
Tall Ceramic Bowl from Indonesia, Mid-20th Century
Located in New York, NY
A tall and large ceramic bowl from Indonesia with brown ridged exterior and a green glazed interior, circa 1960.
Vintage 1960s Indonesian Other Pottery