- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Rare Vintage Red Coral Tile Decorative Box by Maitland Smith
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 4 in. (10.16 cm)Width: 11 in. (27.94 cm)Depth: 8.5 in. (21.59 cm)
- StyleHollywood Regency (Of the Period)
- Materials and TechniquesCoral,Mosaic
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Wear consistent with age and use. As a vintage item, light cosmetic wear might be present but with no structural damage.
- Seller LocationSan Diego, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: Rare Vintage Red Coral Tile Decorative Box from Maitland-Smith1stDibs: LU936623464442
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: San Diego, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Maitland-Smith Tessellated Pink/Coral Stone Petite Jewelry BoxBy Maitland SmithLocated in San Diego, CAMaitland-Smith tessellated stone in pink/coral color, jewelry box with a solid wood interior. With brass decorative inlaid top.Category
20th Century Asian Hollywood Regency Jewelry BoxesMaterials
Cast Stone, Brass
- Postmodern Marble Travertine Jewelry Box by Maitland SmithBy Maitland SmithLocated in San Diego, CAThis beautiful box by Maitland Smith exudes style and glamour. This design from the late 1970s is glamorous and functional. The postmodern lines in almost a pedestal structure, are c...Category
Vintage 1970s American Post-Modern Decorative BoxesMaterials
- Faux Tessellated Tortoiseshell Mother-of-Pearl Jewelry Box by Maitland-SmithBy Maitland SmithLocated in San Diego, CAVintage jewelry box in faux tessellated tortoise shell with mother-of-pearl and Abolone shell edge, circa 1970s. Simple, elegant and unique. Bin #N JjCategory
20th Century American Hollywood Regency Jewelry BoxesMaterials
Tortoise Shell, Mother-of-Pearl$275 Sale Price26% Off
- Hollywood Regency Maitland Smith Large Tessellated Stone and Brass BoxBy Maitland SmithLocated in San Diego, CAElegant rare beautiful box by Maitland Smith in tessellated stone with brass accents. circa 1970s, great original condition beautiful mahogany inlaid.Category
20th Century Hollywood Regency Decorative BoxesMaterials
- Pair of Tessellated Stone Decorative Shoes by Maitland SmithBy Maitland SmithLocated in San Diego, CAPair of tessellated stone decorative shoes by Maitland Smith, circa 1970s. Made in the Philippines; each shoe is 3"W x 10"D x 4"H. #1948.Category
Late 20th Century Philippine Hollywood Regency Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Tessellated Stone Decorative Boot in Brass by Maitland SmithBy Maitland SmithLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful and rare decorative boot in tessellated stone by Maitland Smith, circa 1970s nice patinated brass inlaid can be used to put pocket change or ashtray, etc.Category
Late 20th Century American Hollywood Regency Figurative SculpturesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1980s Hollywood Regency Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1970s Boxes
Late 20th Century Philippine Hollywood Regency Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1970s Philippine Hollywood Regency Jewelry Boxes
1990s Asian Georgian Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1980s American Jewelry Boxes
Vintage 1980s American Modern Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1980s American Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1970s Philippine Hollywood Regency Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1980s Philippine Hollywood Regency Decorative Boxes
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery