- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Maitland Smith Decorative Tessellated Stone and Brass over Fruitwood Box
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 7.25 in. (18.42 cm)Width: 8 in. (20.32 cm)Depth: 6.5 in. (16.51 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. The Box is in original condition and shows some wear due to age and use such as light chips. Please see Pictures.
- Seller LocationMiami, FL
- Reference NumberSeller: 000111/3351stDibs: LU886321292372
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Miami, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Maitland-Smith Vintage Beige Tessellated Stone and Onyx Decorative Jewelry BoxBy Maitland SmithLocated in Miami, FLVintage handmade Maitland-Smith vintage beige tessellated stone and onyx decorative jewelry box. Features 2 compartments lined with ultrasuede to store your favorite necklaces, brac...Category
Vintage 1970s Philippine Mid-Century Modern Decorative BoxesMaterials
- Maitland Smith Style Tessellated Stone over Wood Pair Armchairs Asian Modern 70sBy Maitland SmithLocated in Miami, FLPair of Maitland Smith Style Asian Modern tessellated stone over wood Armchairs, Side Chairs. A gray and taupe tessellated stone over wood covered chair with bronze color pattern a...Category
Late 20th Century Philippine Chinoiserie ChairsMaterials
- Brass & Tessellated Stone on Bamboo Wood Side, Drink, End Table Maitland SmithBy Maitland SmithLocated in Miami, FLWe offer a Maitland-Smith Style Mid-Century Modern round side, drink, end table made out of a Bend Bamboo Tripod Base with a Tessellated Stone over Wood Top. The Stone Top has an in...Category
Late 20th Century Philippine Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Round Coco Shell Maitland-Smith Tessellated Beveled Mirror Mid-Century ModernBy Maitland SmithLocated in Miami, FLRound tessellated shell wall beveled mirror with round steel frame and wood back board. Mid-Century Modern Design in the Style of Maitland-Smith and made in the Philippines. Beauti...Category
Vintage 1980s Philippine Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Vintage Carved Stone Agate Box and Bowl in Amber Color, SetLocated in Miami, FLDecorative vintage set of carved stone agate box and bowl in amber color. Please not the stunning pattern of the stone and the carvings around the lidded bowl. Superb craftsmanship...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Decorative BowlsMaterials
- Designed by Robert Marcius for Maitland-Smith Round Tessellated Wall Mirror 1980By Maitland Smith, Robert MarciusLocated in Miami, FLHandcrafted round tessellated mirror with beige and taupe color stone crossbands. Designed by Robert Marcius for Maitland Smith in America in the 1980. Mid-Century Modern Design fo...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
You May Also Like
20th Century Philippine Mid-Century Modern Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1980s American Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1970s Philippine Hollywood Regency Jewelry Boxes
20th Century Hollywood Regency Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1980s American Modern Decorative Boxes
Stone, Travertine, Marble, Metal, Brass
Vintage 1980s Philippine Hollywood Regency Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1980s Hollywood Regency Decorative Boxes
Late 20th Century American Modern Decorative Boxes
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery