- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 10
Impressive "Chinese" Giltwood Clock
Important clock with a mirror background of Rococo inspiration with a rich sinuous and asymmetrical decoration representing a Chinese couple above a cave, in an environment formed by scrolls, arches and columns. The scene is topped by a winged dial engraved with a hunting scene. A radiant masked sun rising from the clouds dominates the whole. This clock has an ingenious mechanism with two melodies striking the quarter-hour, half-hour and hour. This impressive clock has been created after a design by the London woodcarver Thomas Johnson, published first in 1758 then in 1761 in One Hundred and Fifty New Designs (plate 13). Thomas Johnson (1714-1778) was one of the main proponents of the French-inspired Rococo taste in English decorative arts during the 1750s, along with Matthias Lock and Thomas Chippendale. Provenance : Charles Scarlett Jr., Whitehall, Annapolis, USA Whitehall was built by Horatio Sharpe, the last governor of the colony of Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay east of Annapolis starting in 1763-1769. He went to London on family business in 1773 and was prevented from returning by the Revolution. The house was sold to Sharpe’s former secretary John Ridout and remained in the Ridout family until 1895. It was acquired by the Baltimore businessman Charles Scarlett Jr. in 1946, who completely restored the property and furnished the interiors. The estate is now managed by a foundation with the mission of preserving the house and supporting educational and conservation initiatives.
- Similar toThomas Johnson, London 1 (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 79.53 in. (202 cm)Width: 67.33 in. (171 cm)Depth: 8.67 in. (22 cm)
- StyleChinese Chippendale (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1860
- Seller LocationPARIS, FR
- Reference NumberSeller: 17251stDibs: LU3860321574732
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Estimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: PARIS, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in PARIS, France
5 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 1997
1stDibs seller since 2018
22 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 1 hour
International Confederation of Art and Antique Dealers' Associations
More From This Seller
- By Georges Emile Henri ServantLocated in PARIS, FRA black and red marble clock in the shape of an Egyptian temple attributed to G. Servant, flanked by double colu...Category
Antique 1870s French Egyptian Revival Mantel ClocksMaterials
Marble, BronzeH 18.12 in. W 15.36 in. D 6.7 in.$5,567
- By Manufacture Nationale de SèvresLocated in PARIS, FRBeautiful polychrome porcelain and chiselled and gilded bronze clock from the Louis Philippe period in the style...Category
Antique 1840s French Louis Philippe Table Clocks and Desk ClocksMaterials
BronzeH 31.5 in. Dm 11.82 in.$27,220
- By Georges Emile Henri ServantLocated in PARIS, FRBlack and red marble pyramid shaped Egyptian style clock, surmounted by a patinated bronze figure representing t...Category
Antique 1870s French Egyptian Revival Table Clocks and Desk ClocksMaterials
Marble, BronzeH 22.05 in. W 10.63 in. D 7.09 in.$16,703
- By Maison MilletLocated in PARIS, FRProvenance: Château de Paradis, La Croix-en-Touraine, France Measures: Clock height 72 cm (28.3 in.), width 5...Category
Antique 1880s French Table Clocks and Desk ClocksMaterials
Marble, BronzeH 78.75 in. Dm 23.23 in.$105,170 / set
You May Also Like
Giltwood Cartel Clock
Located in Atlanta, GA
Magnificent Swedish ornately carved gilt wood cartel clock with the face signed Fabian Hoglund, (renowned watch and clock maker in the 19th century) and the case signed A. Lundmark
Antique Late 19th Century Swedish Wall Clocks
Rococo Giltwood Clock
Located in New York, NY
Fine 18th century rococo carved and giltwood shelf clock, the crest with stork holding a bone in his beak pearched on a romantic castle ruin with carved foliate decoration, vines and...
Antique Late 18th Century Austrian Rococo Mantel Clocks
English Georgian Chinese Chippendale Style Mantel Clock
By Thomas Turner
Located in New York, NY
English Georgian Chinese Chippendale style mahogany mantel clock with pagoda top and lattice design trim and column side (signed: Thos Turner, London, 19th century). Not working.
Antique 19th Century English Chinese Chippendale Mantel Clocks
French Giltwood Wall Clock
Located in Norwich, GB
French wall clock on a grey ground with beautifully carved gilded foliate decoration surmounted by a gilded bow. Enamel dial with Arabic numerals and original ‘Blued’ steel hands....
Vintage 1920s French Other Wall Clocks
Swedish Louis XVI Giltwood Clock
Located in Great Barrington, MA
Swedish mantel clock in the Louis XVI style, circa 1800. Clockworks are mounted in an open-backed column with carved swag and urn. Original painted surface and clockworks.
Antique Late 18th Century Swedish Louis XVI Mantel Clocks
Swedish Rocaille Giltwood Wall Clock
Located in Boston, MA
Surmounted by a pierced foliate cresting, flanked by glazed panels to the sides and below, the white enamel dial with Roman hours and Arabic minutes, inscribed Nils Berg Stockholm, t...
Antique Mid-18th Century Swedish Rococo Wall Clocks
Vintage Chinese Pendulum Clock
Located in New York, NY
An unusual vintage wind up Chinese pendulum clock from Shanghai, c.1930. In working condition. Runs a little fast. M839
Vintage 1930s Chinese More Asian Art, Objects and Furniture
Impressive Large Flame Mahogany J Carr Garstang Grandfather Clock
Located in Hopewell, NJ
Magnificent figured mahogany Lanchashire long case clock by James Carr of Garstang, circa 1835. Eight day movement and includes weights, key and has all working parts. Measures: .88...
Antique 19th Century English Grandfather Clocks and Longcase Clocks