Large 19th Century Oval Marble Relief of the Roman Emperor Claudius with EagleItem Status:
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 9
Large 19th Century Oval Marble Relief of the Roman Emperor Claudius with Eagle
45 inches high and 34.5 inches wide this truly is an impressive manifestation of 19th century Italian carving craftsmanship. The relief is centering a circular profile portrait of the emperor Claudius, who ruled Rome from 41-54, surrounded by a latin inscription: Ave cesar morituri te salutant which is a well-known Latin phrase quoted in Suetonius, De Vita Caesarum. It was reportedly used during an event in AD 52 on Lake Fucinus by naumachiarii—captives and criminals fated to die fighting during mock naval encounters—in the presence of the emperor Claudius. The portrait is set in an oval panel decorated by the imperial eagle, laurel branches and oak leafwork surmounted by ribbons. A band of gray marble separates the carvings from the marble framing featuring the classical egg and dart cornice carving. Considering the weight of this relief it can be either inserted in a wall or fastened to a wall with forged iron brackets.
- DimensionsHeight: 45 in. (114.3 cm)Width: 34.5 in. (87.63 cm)Depth: 2.5 in. (6.35 cm)
- StyleClassical Roman (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1850
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. The relief is in good condition for its age showing a faint repair line across.
- Seller LocationFt. Lauderdale, FL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2165313072382
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
5 / 5
These expertly vetted sellers are 1stDibs' most experienced sellers and are rated highest by our customers.
Established in 1996
1stDibs seller since 2016
324 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: <1 hour
More From This Seller
- Located in Ft. Lauderdale, FLThis medieval French relief carved oakwood panel depicts the crucified Christ flanked by two cornucopias and inc...Category
Antique 15th Century and Earlier French Medieval Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
Wood, Oak, Giltwood
- By Bill LettLocated in Ft. Lauderdale, FLIn this expressive bronze sculpture Bill Lett is capturing the ferocity and vigor of a Roman charioteer and his ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Brutalist Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Located in Ft. Lauderdale, FLStanding 29 inches tall this terracotta statue shows the bullfighter matador 'El Cordobes' (Manuel Benítez Pérez...Category
Mid-20th Century Spanish Mid-Century Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Located in Ft. Lauderdale, FLStanding 27 inches tall this Italian Egyptian inspired terracotta statue of a beautifully glazed and decorated c...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Animal SculpturesMaterials
- Located in Ft. Lauderdale, FLThese provincial farmhouse terracotta confit pots make an attractive group with their slightly different glazes ...Category
Antique Late 19th Century French French Provincial CeramicsMaterials
- Located in Ft. Lauderdale, FLStanding more than 30 inches tall including the modern Lucite base this Italian figure features great movement o...Category
Antique Late 18th Century Italian Baroque Figurative SculpturesMaterials
You May Also Like
Antique Italian Marble Profile Plaque of Roman Emperor Claudius, 19th Century
Located in London, GB
This is a beautiful Italian white Carrara marble profile bust of the Roman Emperor Claudius, dating from the mid-19th century. The sensitively carved Grand Tour plaque depicts the...
Antique 1850s Italian Busts
18th Century Frame with a Marble Profile Portraits Vespesian Roman Emperor
Located in Firenze, IT
In terracotta with black marble medallion centered by a white marble profile depicting Roman emperor framed by the inscription T. VESPESIAN. A V G .; the terracotta frame with engrav...
Antique 1780s Italian Neoclassical Wall-mounted Sculptures
Roman Marble Relief Portrait of Seneca
Located in Stamford, CT
18th century Italian marble portrait of the Roman stoic philosopher Seneca, carved in deep relief and mounted on a red and white variegated marble oval. In a neoclassical style giltw...
Antique 18th Century Italian Neoclassical Figurative Sculptures
19th Century German Marble Portrait Relief of Friedrich von Schiller
Located in Worpswede / Bremen, DE
An idealized portrait of the young Friedrich von Schiller. The poet's likeness finely carved in relief of white marble and seen in profile from the right, signed at the truncated nec...
Antique 19th Century German Sculptures
19th Century White Marble Italian Lawyer Portrait Relief
Located in Milan, IT
An oval Italian Carrara marble relief plaque, a 19th century hand-carved marble manly portrait, depicting the lawyer Francesco Rossignoli president of the Court of Cassation of Casal...
Antique Late 19th Century Italian Busts
19th Century, Italian Marble and Bronze Reliefs, Set of Four
Located in Pasadena, CA
A set of Italian marble and bronze reliefs of Compey and Alexander and Brutus and Canton, circa 1880. Four plaques with wall hooks, attached.
Antique Mid-19th Century Italian Empire Wall-mounted Sculptures
Roman Bas Relief Marble Profile of Man
Located in Stamford, CT
Circa 100 AD Roman Neoclassical style marble bas-relief profile of man in 18th century frame. Made in Rome. Please note of wear consistent with ancient age.
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Italian Neoclassical Wall-mounted Sculp...
18th-19th Century Continental Gesso & Giltwood Eagle
Located in Atlanta, GA
18th-19th century Continental gesso & giltwood eagle.
Antique Late 18th Century Wall-mounted Sculptures