Items Similar to Mineral Specimen Collection, from a circa 1891 School in France View More
Mineral Specimen Collection, from a circa 1891 School in France
An absolutely incredible mineral specimen collection, recently removed from a French Monastery School, that was about to be converted into a hotel. The school, “House of Marist Brothers”, opened in the early 1890s in the town of Varennes-sur-Allier, although it would be impossible to date the collection. In May 1891, a group of six Brothers, from Saint-Genis-Laval, came to live in Varennes. On September 16, 1891 the retreat opened the next day. There are approximately, 200 mineral specimens and each one is marked and mounted on a small stand. We also have a few hundred exquisite pressed botanicals, from the same Monastery, that appear to be from the turn-of-the-century. All will be available through 1stdibs. Measurements were taken from one of the larger stones.
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1891-1893
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsIn as found condition
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 3.5 in. x W 5 in. x D 3 in.H 8.89 cm x W 12.7 cm x D 7.62 cm
- Seller LocationChicago, IL
- Seller Reference NumberJ1864B
- Sold AsSet of 190
- Reference NumberLU824313261211
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 7 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
4.8 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2006
Located in Chicago, IL
You may also contact the seller by phoneCall seller through 1stdibs
More From This Seller
French Vitrine or Specimen Cabinet, circa 1891
Antique 1890s French Country Vitrines
The Village of Varennes-sur-Allier was the home of a monastery built in 1891 named; Maison des Freres Maristes. In one of the classrooms stood a pair of immense cabinets, one with gl...
Specimen Cabinet from England
Vintage 1930s British Country More Furniture and Collectibles
An incredible egg specimen cabinet imported about 25 years ago from the city of Leek, England. The cabinet and its content are as found and completely unrestored. Please note that th...
Petrified Wood from Petrified Forest in Arizona
Antique 15th Century and Earlier American Natural Specimens
Petrified wood is a gigantic crystal made of almost solid quartz. The variations of color come from the impurities in the quartz primarily iron, carbon, and manganese, circa 211-218 ...
French Hat Forms, circa 1930s
$3,400 / set
French Hat Forms, circa 1930s
Vintage 1930s French Sculptures
Circa 1930’s Wonderful collection of French hat forms, or molds made from cast metal. Could look great on a wall as a three-dimensional sculpture, or just spread across a large coffe...