Mid-Century Modern Art Glass Vase by Venini
About the Item
- Creator:Venini (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 5.2 in (13.21 cm)Diameter: 6 in (15.24 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1980
- Seller Location:Port Jervis, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU958626324972
Beginning in the 1930s — and throughout the postwar years especially — Venini & Co. played a leading role in the revival of Italy’s high-end glass industry, pairing innovative modernist designers with the skilled artisans in the centuries-old glass workshops on the Venetian island of Murano. While the company’s founder, Paolo Venini (1895–1959), was himself a highly talented glassware designer, his true genius was to invite forward-thinking Italian and international designers to Murano’s hallowed workshops to create Venini pieces — among them Giò Ponti, Massimo Vignelli, Finnish designer Tapio Wirkkala, Thomas Stearnsof the United States and Fulvio Bianconi.
Paolo Venini trained and practiced as a lawyer for a time, though his family had been involved with glassmaking for generations. After initially buying a share in a Venetian glass firm, he took over the company as his own in 1925, and under his direction it produced mainly classical Baroque designs. In 1932, he hired the young Carlo Scarpa— who would later distinguish himself as an architect — as his lead designer. Scarpa, working in concert with practiced glass artisans, completely modernized Venini, introducing simple, pared-down forms; bright primary colors; and bold patterns such as stripes, banding and abstract compositions that utilized cross sections of murrine (glass rods).
Paolo Venini’s best designs are thought to be his two-color Clessidre hourglasses, produced from 1957 onward, and the Fazzoletto (“handkerchief”) vase, designed with Bianconi in 1949. Bianconi’s masterworks are considered by many to be his Pezzato works — colorful vases with patterns that resemble those of a patchwork quilt. Other noteworthy and highly collectible vintage Venini works include Ponti’s dual-tone stoppered bottles (circa 1948); rare glass sculptures from the Doge series by Stearns, the first American to design for the firm; Vignelli’s striped lanterns of the 1960s; the Occhi vases with eyelet-shaped patterns by Tobia Scarpa (son of Carlo); and, with their almost zen purity, the Bolle (“bubbles”) bottles designed by Wirkkala in 1968.
With these works — and many others by some of the creative titans of the 20th and 21st century — Venini has produced one of the truly great bodies of work in modern design.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Port Jervis, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Mid-Century Liquor Wine Display Bottles Blown GlassLocated in Port Jervis, NYFabulous display bottles from the fifties. Solid glass and painted on the inside to look like the bottle is full. COURVOISIER the brandy of Napoleon. HENNESSY cognac. Priced and sold...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Industrial BottlesMaterials
- Vintage Mid Century Glass French Wine Liquor Display BottleLocated in Port Jervis, NYFabulous glass display bottles from the mid century era. Byrrh wine appertif is 21.5 height x 5.75 diameter. All are glass and in very good condition. Price is for each bottle. Bottl...Category
Vintage 1950s French Art Deco BarwareMaterials
- Large Mid-Century Modern Handkerchief Art Glass Vase by ChaletBy Chalet Art Glass CompanyLocated in Port Jervis, NYFabulous, large and elegant. Freeform handkerchief vase by Chalet. From clear to cranberry. In excellent condition with no evidence of scratches or dings. Wear on base as expected.Category
Mid-20th Century Canadian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Mid Century Large Display Liquor Wine Blown Glass BottlesLocated in Port Jervis, NYFabulous display bottles hand blown with painted interior that imitates a full bottle of booze. In very good condition with minimal wear. Can be parcel posted.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Industrial BarwareMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Art Glass Vases by Blenko Blue and AmberBy Blenko GlassLocated in Port Jervis, NYPair of fish bowl vases by American glass blowing company Blenko. Amber colored case is a little taller than the blue vase 10 inch to 9.5 inch. Amber va...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Art Glass Vase by v. Lindstrand for Kosta Boda # 41890By Vicke Lindstrand, Kosta BodaLocated in Port Jervis, NYFabulous piece of Art Glass by Vicke Lindstrand for Kosta Boda. Clear thick base which changes to yellow, green then blue. In excellent vintage condition with minimal wear to the bas...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Venini 1980's Italian Glass "A Canne" Bottle Vase Sculpture Limited EditionBy Venini, Gio PontiLocated in New York, NYGorgeous red, blue and clear glass striped "A Canne" bottle vase limited edition sculpture. Engraved signature to bottom Venini '88 for Iveco. Numbered 95/250. Iveco is one of the world’s largest commercial vehicles manufacturers, and is a member of the FIAT group. Iveco ordered these Venini decanters...Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern BottlesMaterials
- Swedish Art Glass Vase by Paul Kedelv for Flygsfors, Mid-CenturyBy Flygsfors, Paul KedelvLocated in Haddonfield, NJSwedish handcrafted art glass from the "Coquille" collection from the 1950´s, by Swedish glass artist Paul Kedelv. He was a pupil of the famous Swedish masters Edward Hald and Simon ...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Oggetti Colorful Italian Round Blown Art Glass by Venini Mid-Century ModernBy Oggetti, VeniniLocated in Miami, FLDesigned for Venini round blown colorful Art glass vase made by Oggetti in Italy. Makers Mark at the side.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Italian Mid Century Modern Venini White Glass Vase by Tomaso Buzzi, 1983By Venini, Tomaso BuzziLocated in Byron Bay, NSW"Incamiciato" Italian art glass vase by Tomaso Buzzi for Venini. Stunning white glass in original Venini box and with "Certificate of Authenticity."Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern VasesMaterials
Art Glass, Blown Glass
- 1970s Venini Style Mid-Century Modern Black and Gold Murano Glass VaseBy VeniniLocated in Aci Castello, ITThis Murano glass round vase is a visually striking and sophisticated decorative item, combining the excellence of Murano glassmaking with the bold aesthetics of the 1970s, it's in p...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Large Swedish Art Glass Crystal Vase by Strombergshyttan, Signed & NumberedBy Stromberg HyttenLocated in Haddonfield, NJSwedish handcrafted art glass with engraved deer design. Signed Stromberg and B9106027 Strombergshyttan began productions in 1933, and continued operations until early 1970's when O...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials