Set of Three c. 1928 Burma-Shave Highway Advertising Signs
Bold and graphic painted Burma-Shave highway advertising signs in yellow and black.
Burma-Shave was introduced in 1925 by the Burma-Vita company. The sign series appeared from 1925 to 1963 in most of the United States. Typically, six consecutive small signs would be posted along highway roads for passing motorists to read in sequence. With the expansion of the Interstate system in the late 1950s and increasing vehicle speeds, small signs no longer attracted motorists' attention. The signs were discontinued when the company was acquired by Phillip Morris in 1963.