- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Modern Italian Glass Disc Chandelier by Vistosi
About the Item
- Creator:Vistosi (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 34 in (86.36 cm)Diameter: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Chandelier has been re-wired and is ready to hang.
- Seller Location:Washington, DC
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1063212817662
Demonstrative of a unique marriage between artistry and technical excellence, Vistosi lighting fixtures were born from a rich Italian glassmaking tradition. The prolific glass manufacturer came to prominence after World War II for its modernist lighting designs, and today Vistosi is known for opulent chandeliers, lamps and sconces.
The history of Vistosi reaches as far back as 1640, when the Gazzabin family of Murano opened a furnace for producing Murano glass art. "Vistoso," which was originally a nickname, became part of the family's surname and eventually the name “Vistosi” was used to refer to the family’s glass creations.
Vistosi would be recognized by the glassmakers’ guild in Murano during the late 18th century — with Gio-Batta Vistosi becoming head of the guild — but Napoleon dissolved the Venetian state and closed the region’s glass factories by 1807. The modern iteration of the Vistosi company was founded in Murano in 1945 by Guglielmo Vistosi, a Gazzabin family heir.
During the 1950s, Vistosi's grandchildren, Gino and Luciano Vistosi, began specializing in lighting. In the 1960s and ‘70s, the company worked with renowned Italian furniture designers like Adalberto Dal Lago, Ettore Sottsass and Gae Aulenti. One of Vistosi's most famous collaborations was with Italian architect and designer Angelo Mangiarotti. In 1967, Mangiarotti designed a modular crystal-hook lighting system called Giogali that has enjoyed popularity and acclaim to this day.
In 1989, Vistosi was taken over by businessman Giancarlo Moretti, who had an extensive background in the lighting industry. Moretti's son, Matteo Moretti, reinvigorated the business with a series of new design collaborations in 1993. Some of the most notable partnerships included Chiaramonte and Marin, Mauro Olivieri and Michele De Lucchi.
Vistosi has participated in every Euroluce showcase since the lighting exhibition began in 1976. In 2005, the company won the ADI Design Index award for Mangiarotti's Giogali system. In 2007, Vistosi won the Eurispes award and participated in a Compasso d'Oro competition.
Today, Vistosi is still a leader in the lighting industry, shifting to LED and creating new types of lead-free crystal glass for its stunning range of lighting fixtures.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Washington, DC
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Jeanne Cosimano Abstract Modern Work on PaperLocated in Washington, DCStriking abstract work on paper by Washington D.C. artist Jeanne Cosimano. Artist is known for her dynamic compositions and skillful use of color. Work is gouache on paper with antiq...Category
Late 20th Century American PaintingsMaterials
- Vintage Organic Brutalist Pair Studio Bronze Table LampsLocated in Washington, DCExceptional vintage pair of bronze table lamps. Lamps retain the original bronze finial and have a beautiful warm brown patina. These unique lamps are high quality made and heavy fo...Category
Vintage 1960s Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Original Japanese Block Print by Yoshitoshi 100 Aspects of the MoonLocated in Washington, DCFramed block print from Yoshitoshi's One Hundred Aspects of the moon. Image depicts renowned poet Fujiwara no Sadaie, known as Teika, sleeping in the Shinto shrine at Sumiyoshi and t...Category
Antique 1870s Japanese PrintsMaterials
Paper$475 Sale Price40% Off
- JENNY Large Wall Light or Sconce in Enamel & Brass by Blueprint LightingBy Blueprint Lighting, Stilnovo, Mathieu MatégotLocated in New York, NYIntroducing Jenny, the latest vintage-inspired fixture from Blueprint Lighting. Named for multi-hyphenate Jenny Mollen; NYT best-selling author, actress, design enthusiast, mom of ...Category
2010s American Mid-Century Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Brass, Bronze, Enamel, Nickel
- Sistema Solare Chandelier, Piattelli Design, Ivory-toned Onyx and Brass, 8-shadeBy Stilnovo, Bruno Gatta, Silvio PiattelliLocated in Tavarnelle val di Pesa, FlorenceUnique chandelier, made from thinly-cut pieces of exquisite ivory-colored translucent onyx. Ideal to be hung over a table, with versatile configurations. Ivory onyx comes from Middle...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and...Materials
- Large White Murano Glass Disc Chandelier, by VistosiBy VistosiLocated in Dallas, TXMid-Century Modern geometric disc chandelier, created by Vistosi, Italy 1980s. The vintage pyramidal chandelier is made of a chrome frame, and white Murano handmade glass discs. Ea...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
Chrome$5,840 Sale Price20% Off
- Tulip Contemporary Wall Sconce, Wall Light in White Plaster, Hannah WoodhouseBy Hannah WoodhouseLocated in London, GBHandmade Tulip organic modern wall light/ wall sconce, in silky smooth white plaster, created by artist Hannah Woodhouse in her London studio. Contemporary organic modern design insp...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Organic Modern Wall Lights and Sco...Materials
- Poliedri Chandelier Carlo Scarpa Style, MuranoBy Carlo ScarpaLocated in Budapest, HUItalian ceiling light made from 84 beautiful Murano transparent glasses "poliedri" Carlo Scarpa style. Structure in gold and Brass colored metal. Dimensions: 17.70 inches (45 cm) h...Category
2010s Italian Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
Metal$2,666 / item
- Smoked Glass Discs Chandelier by VistosiBy VistosiLocated in Palm Springs, CAVintage Italian chandelier with five tiers of smoky beveled glass discs mounted on brass frame, with a half moon brass arch above each disc / Designed and made by VIstosi in Italy, c...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Amazing Italian Disc Glass Chandelier by Vistosi, 1980sBy VistosiLocated in Budapest, HUChandelier by Vistosi made in Murano formed by 58 pink discs of precious Murano glass are arranged on four levels. Eight lights. The special feature of these discs is that they chang...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- White Glass Disc Chandelier by Vistosi, Italy, 1970sBy VistosiLocated in Rijssen, NLA gorgeous four tiers hanging light fixture, attributed to Vistosi, Italy, manufactured in circa 1970 (late 1960s and early 1970s). With graduated tiers of smoked round facet chaped ...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Space Age Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Fantastic Murano Glass Disc Chandelier by Vistosi, Italy, 1970sBy VistosiLocated in Rome, ITSpectacular chandelier by Vistosi made of 50 Murano discs violet.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Vistosi Discs ChandelierBy VistosiLocated in Long Island City, NYA Chandelier by Vistosi, Italy, Circa 1960th. Brass frame chandelier with 27 hand made glass discs. 6 candelabra style sockets. Drop 27". Existing European wiring, rewiring availa...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and Pendants$3,000
- Italian Disc Chandelier by Vistosi, Murano, 1970sBy VistosiLocated in Budapest, HUThe chandelier is composed of six large discs, 19cm diameter, and another 12 smaller ones, 15cm diameter. They are made of handblown Murano glass. The metal structure is original. Th...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery