- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Early 1930s Walter Von Nessen Floor Lamp, Art Deco
- CreatorWalter Von Nessen (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 50 in. (127 cm)Width: 10 in. (25.4 cm)Depth: 14 in. (35.56 cm)
- StyleArt Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1930s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor fading. Some pitting to base,, (see photo),,minor chip-edge wear to shade.
- Seller LocationBuffalo, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU106243612782
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Buffalo, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About Walter Von Nessen (Designer)
Art Deco industrial designer Walter von Nessen is best known for his glamorous Machine Age lighting designs and for his invention of the swing-arm lamp. Von Nessen was born in Germany, where he studied under Bruno Paul at Berlin’s Kunstgewerbeschule. After World War I, he worked for the architect Peter Behrens, in Berlin. He left in 1919 for Stockholm, where he designed furniture until emigrating with his wife, Margaretta, to the United States in 1923. In 1927, the couple opened Nessen Studios in Manhattan, designing and selling sleek, modern architectural lighting.
Art Deco was both novel and exciting in the late 1920s — as, indeed, was electricity itself — and Nessen Studios was at the forefront of the movement. Electric lighting designers at the time had no direct models to follow. The shapes and silhouettes of gas lamps, lanterns and chandeliers had been influenced by those of the kerosene-, oil- and candle-lit fixtures that preceded them, which in turn were informed by the fuels they used. Electric lighting required designs that accommodated essentials of the new technology, like cords and sockets. Von Nessen and his contemporaries thus had to create fixtures that addressed these challenges and looked modern without appearing overly mechanical.
Along with industrial-design visionaries of the period like Raymond Loewy, Gilbert Rohde and Donald Deskey, von Nessen crafted a style that was emblematic of the Machine Age. He produced lamps and home accessories from spun aluminum, with smooth surfaces that evoked the polished gleam of streamlined automobiles and airplanes. And he experimented with other popular materials of the era, such as Bakelite, chrome and fiberglass. His ingenious design for the now-ubiquitous swing-arm lamp earned him a reputation as an innovator.
Von Nessen’s work is represented in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art and the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian National Design Museum, among other institutions. Designed to complement the luxurious interiors of the 1920s and ‘30s, still look fresh nearly a century later.
- By Walter Von NessenLocated in Buffalo, NYModernist walnut and brass table lamp by Walter Von Nessen, stunning walnut base, brushed brass standard, retain...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- By Edgar BrandtLocated in Buffalo, NYStunning Art Deco floor lamp,,Torchere,, Three candle light top.. Super Stylized Ironwork,,Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco Floor LampsMaterials
- By Kem WeberLocated in Buffalo, NYArt Deco Floor Lamp, attached, original brass, iron and aluminum plant holders. Most unusual design,Classic sky-...Category
Vintage 1920s American Art Deco Floor LampsMaterials
Aluminum, Brass, Iron
- By Greta Von Nessen, Nessen StudioLocated in Buffalo, NYIconic desk lamp with pivot and swivel cone shades designed by Greta Von Nessen for Nessen Studios. Lamp is cons...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- By Kem Weber, Smith Metal ArtsLocated in Buffalo, NYClassic Art Deco dome desk lamp, Smith Metal Arts, 1930s. Amazing original finish. Beautiful warm light, retains...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco Table LampsMaterials
You May Also Like
Mid-20th Century American Art Deco Floor Lamps
Vintage 1940s American Art Deco Floor Lamps
Mid-20th Century American Machine Age Floor Lamps
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Floor Lamps
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Floor Lamps
Early 20th Century American Machine Age Floor Lamps
Aluminum, Stainless Steel
Vintage 1930s American Machine Age Floor Lamps
20th Century American Art Deco Floor Lamps
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery