- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Early ‘Uchiwa’ Floor Lamp by Ingo Maurer for M Design, Germany, 1977
About the Item
- Creator:M Design (Cabinetmaker),Ingo Maurer (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 86.62 in (220 cm)Width: 44.89 in (114 cm)Depth: 7.88 in (20 cm)
- Power Source:Plug-in
- Lampshade:Not Included
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Antwerp, BE
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4678233227732
German designer Ingo Maurer (1932–2019) was known as a “poet of light” for how he artfully created lamps that married form and function, from bulbs that soared on goose-feather wings to chandeliers that suspended bursts of shattered tableware like a slow-motion explosion. One of his first lamps, a 1966 design that was merely called Bulb, nested a lightbulb inside a larger glass lightbulb shape, drawing on his connection to German art traditions of reductive forms as well as Pop art and the playful aesthetics of 1960s pop culture. The success of Bulb — its fans included American design icon Charles Eames — led to the founding of his own company to produce this provocative fixture as well as other fantastic lighting designs.
Born on the island of Reichenau in Lake Constance in southern Germany, Maurer apprenticed at a newspaper before moving to the United States in 1960. In New York and California, Maurer initially worked as a graphic designer for IBM and elsewhere before returning to Germany with his then-wife, designer Dorothee Becker, in 1963. The experience that Maurer gained in typography and bold forms was regularly expressed in the lamps crafted by his company, which was called Design M before the name was changed to Ingo Maurer GmbH. The lighting manufacturer is still based in Munich.
Some of Maurer’s pieces were minimal, such as a ceramic table lamp in 1996 he called Broken Egg, which radiated light from a fissure in an oblong shape, while others were monumental, such as the designer’s last completed installation — a colossal chandelier composed of over 3,000 silver-plated leaves — in Munich’s Residenztheater. Maurer was always at the forefront of lighting innovations, exploring holograms, LEDs and OLEDs in his projects. Through his company, the venturesome Maurer also promoted inventive new designers, including Moritz Waldemeyer, whose My New Flame (2012) imagined a futuristic candle with LEDs.
Ingo Maurer GmbH continues to produce the late designer’s distinctive table lamps, chandeliers and other fixtures, including the imaginative Bulb that started it all.
Find a collection of Ingo Maurer lighting designs on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Antwerp, Belgium
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Elegant Floor Lamp by Hesse-Leuchten from Germany, Designed in the 1960sLocated in Antwerp, BEElegant floor lamp by Hesse-Leuchten from Germany, designed in the 1960s. This rare floor lamp features a black lacquered steel frame with a cylinder cord centre. The design and comb...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Early Wall Lamp Designed by Johan Petter Johansson for Triplex, Sweden, 1930s.By Johan Petter Johansson, ASEALocated in Antwerp, BEEarly wall lamp designed by Johan Petter Johansson for Triplex, Sweden 1930s. In original condition, with minor wear consistent with age and use, preserving a beautiful patina. This ...Category
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- Industrial Adjustable Floor Lamp from France, 1960sLocated in Antwerp, BEIndustrial floor lamp from France, 1960s. This 2 shade floor lamp is adjustable in height and can be positioned in any angle preferred. It features the original mint green lacquer an...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
Metal, Steel, Chrome
- Wall Lamp by Tito Agnoli for Oluce, Italy 1950sBy Oluce, Tito AgnoliLocated in Antwerp, BERare version of this wall lamp by Tito Agnoli and manufactured by Oluce, Italy 1950s. This is Model 194 with an extra long arm and is made out of nickel plated metal. The lamp is ful...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- 'Tratten' Wall Lamp by Hans Agne Jakobsson for AB Markaryd, Sweden, 1950sBy AB Markaryd, Hans-Agne JakobssonLocated in Antwerp, BECone shaped wall lamp by Hans Agne Jakobsson for AB Markaryd, Sweden 1950s. This is model ‘Tratten’ in beautifully patinated cop...Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- Set PH 4.5 Copper Wall Lamps by Poul Henningsen for Louis Poulsen, DK 1980sBy Poul Henningsen, Louis PoulsenLocated in Antwerp, BEA set of two PH 4.5 copper wall lamps by Poul Henningsen for Louis Poulsen, Denmark 1980s. This iconic lamp was first designed in 1966 and has been a Classic ever since. These wall l...Category
Vintage 1980s Danish Scandinavian Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- Very Large ‘Uchiwa’ Floor Lamp by Ingo Maurer for M Design, 1977By M Design, Ingo MaurerLocated in Echt, NLRare large ‘Uchiwa’ fan floor lamp by Ingo Maurer in very good condition. Designed by Ingo Maurer for M design, Germany. This lamp was handmade in ...Category
20th Century German Japonisme Floor LampsMaterials
Bamboo, Wicker, Parchment Paper
- An ‘Uchiwa’ Floor Lamp by Ingo Maurer for M Design - Germany, 1977By Ingo Maurer, Design MLocated in Chiavari, LiguriaLarge and rare Uchiwa bamboo floor lamp or wall lamp by Ingo Maurer for Design M, 1970s, Germany. Ingo Maurer's interest in rice paper for lampshades brought him to design and produce various models inspired by traditional Japanese fans during the 1970s. His interest at that time was focused in the modelling of lighting able to create a soft and warm, eye-pleasing light. All the Uchiwa lamps...Category
Vintage 1970s German Japonisme Floor LampsMaterials
Bamboo, Parchment Paper
- Floor Lamp “Uchiwa” by Ingo Maurer for Design M Germany, 1977By Ingo MaurerLocated in Rijssen, NLThis floor lamp is inspired by the traditional Japanese Uchiwa fans. Designed by the world famous designer Ingo Maurer. Ingo Maurer first came across fans in a Paris shop...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Floor lamp "Uchiwa I", design Ingo Maurer for M Design, Germany 70sBy Ingo MaurerLocated in Napoli, ITFloor lamp "Uchiwa I", design Ingo Maurer for M Design, Germany '70s bamboo, rice paper Blibliografy: Ingo Maurer. Light. Reaching for the Moon, Vitra Design Museum...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Uchiwa III Wall & Table Lamp by Ingo Maurer, 1970sBy Ingo Maurer, M DesignLocated in Ongar, GBUchiwa III wall & table lamp by Ingo Maurer, 1970s This stunning Uchiwa lamp was designed by Ingo Maurer, in Germany, 1973. It is the larger size fro...Category
20th Century German Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Ingo Maurer, M Design, Rare and Large Floor Lamp, circa 1960sBy Ingo Maurer, M DesignLocated in Schagen, NLRare standing lamp or floor lamp with white glass base. The original shade with Zebra print, shows some wear like discoloration, some stains and dents. Still a very desirable piece! Labeled with the manufacturer's sticker. NOW TEMPORARY DISCOUNT PROMO CODE...Category
Mid-20th Century German Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
Fabric, Glass$1,213 Sale Price25% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery