1940 Maison Bagues Pair of Sconces
View Similar Items
1940 Maison Bagues Pair of Sconces
- CreatorMaison Baguès (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 15.75 in (40 cm)Width: 1.58 in (4 cm)Depth: 11.82 in (30 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1940
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses.
- Seller LocationParis, FR
- Reference Number1stDibs: 15021910011185
About the Designer
Since its establishment in 1860, the Maison Baguès has been an emblem of French sophistication in luxury lighting design. Each piece the firm makes is hand-assembled using traditional techniques in order to emphasize the elegance and excellence of their detailed artisanal work. Still the epitome of savoir-faire, Maison Baguès’ luxurious pieces are prized for their craftsmanship, beauty and harmony.
The master metalsmith Noël Baguès founded the company as specialists in liturgical bronzes, but by 1880 the company had expanded into the production of bronze light fixtures in response to the development of electrical lighting. Carried on by Noël’s son Eugène and grandsons Victor and Robert, Maison Baguès continued to progress, adding intricately detailed iron lighting collections in the 1920s as well as stair banisters, gates and accessory tables.
Baguès began selling internationally in the interwar period, expanding the company’s operation to New York, Rome and Cairo. Noted for their high-end handcrafted work, such as complex carved sconces and hand-strung crystal chandeliers, Maison Baguès appealed to an elite clientele. While Baguès’ Art Deco crystal lighting fixtures drew the most attention, the company was also known for bespoke metalwork that drew commissions from important interior designers and decorating firms such as Maison Jansen and Raymond Subes. The idiosyncratic genius Armand-Albert Rateau used Maison Baguès accessories to decorate the interiors of Jeanne Lanvin’s town home in 1928. Maison Baguès products have also been featured in luxury hotels like Paris's George V and the Savoy in London.
Today, Maison Baguès continues its history of delicate, detailed work and devotes much of its enterprise to preserving the company’s heritage through restoration. Their efforts are worth it. As you will see on 1stDibs, Maison Baguès remains the last word in classic French lighting and metalwork.
- Pair of French Maison Bagues Crystal Prism SconcesBy Maison BaguèsLocated in Houston, TXPair of French Maison Baguès crystal prism sconces. This stunning pair of French Bagues are comprised of large 2.5 inch glass prisms. These sconces are newly wired each with three ne...Category
Vintage 1940s French Hollywood Regency Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- French Maison Baguès Set of Three Floral Spray SconcesBy Maison BaguèsLocated in Montreal, QuebecThis whimsical design of crystal bouquets set in crystal and bronze urns is representative of the poetry and craftmanship of Maison Baguès. Gilt bronze and cut rock crystal 3-light w...Category
Early 20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Crystal, Tôle, Bronze$14,900 Sale Price / set37% Off
- Neoclassical Pair of Big Gilt Bronze Sconces by Maison Bagues, France, 1960By Maison BaguèsLocated in Paris, FRBeautiful pair of Big Neoclassical style gilt bronze sconces with satin flame-shaped glass from France in the 1960s by Maison Baguès. The wall lights are in excellent condition and ...Category
Vintage 1960s French Neoclassical Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- French, Maison Bagues Style Bronze Neoclassical SconcesBy Maison Charles, Maison Baguès, Maison JansenLocated in Houston, TXFrench Maison Bagues style bronze neoclassical sconces. French Maison Bagues style bronze neoclassical arrow sconces. These stunning French neoclassical style bronze two light sconc...Category
Vintage 1940s French Neoclassical Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- Maison Baguès Chinoiserie Wall Sconce 1950’s FranceBy Maison BaguèsLocated in Hastings, GBA rare Maison Baguès gilt wall sconce with frosted glass chinoiserie oriental figure Paris, 1950s This Rococo style sconce is decorated with delicate gilt metal leaves and crysta...Category
Mid-20th Century French Chinoiserie Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- Pair of Maison Bagues Gilt Crystal Wall LightsBy Maison BaguèsLocated in Hastings, GBAn incredible pair of wall lights by Maison Bagues, the wheatsheaf form in silver gilt, with faceted crystals and a solid crystal urn to the centre, capped with a gilt gold surround....Category
Vintage 1950s French Hollywood Regency Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials