Items Similar to Mercury Mirror, Made in Italy, Mid-19th Century View More
Mercury Mirror, Made in Italy, Mid-19th Century
This Mercury mirror is a precious decorative object realized in Rome, Italy during the mid-19th century. It is a splendid and rare mercury mirror with frame in carved and gilded wood. Dimensions: cm 110 x 190. In very good conditions, except for minor defects on the lower part of the frame. The mercury mirror is a particular type of mirror recognizable for its silvered back, capturing the light in an inimitable way. These mirrors are rare, delicate and difficult to restore. The first examples of this technique date back to the 15th century for almost 400 years; Venice was the leading producer of this type of glass. The Serenissima put this process under secret for the quality of these mirrors was much superior to that obtained by the previous ways. You may still admire the incredible Gallery of Mirrors of the Castle of Versailles which is decorated with hundreds of mercury mirrors. This object is shipped from Italy. Under existing legislation, any object in Italy created over 70 years ago by an artist, designer or craftsman who has died requires a license for export regardless of the work’s market price. The shipping may require additional handling days to require the license according to the final destination of the object.
- Place of Origin
- Date of ManufactureMid-19th Century
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsInsurance may be requested by customers as additional service, contact us for more information.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 74.81 in. x W 43.31 in. x D 5.12 in.H 190 cm x W 110 cm x D 13 cm
- Seller LocationRoma, IT
- Seller Reference NumberM-105055
- Reference NumberLU2698317821602
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 14 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2017
Typical response time: 11 hours
Located in Roma, IT
More From This Seller
Vintage Murano Glass Mirror, Early 20th Century
Early 20th Century Italian
Game Table, Made in Italy, 19th Century
Antique 19th Century Italian
Italian Ceramic Jug, Made in Italy, Late 19th C...
Antique Late 19th Century Italian
You May Also Like
$4,800 / set
Mid-19th Century Pair of Italian Cushion Mirrors
Antique 1850s Italian
Early 19th Century Italian Mirror
Antique Early 19th Century Italian
Venice Italy Mid-18th Century Green Lacquered M...
Antique Mid-18th Century Italian Baroque
Mercury Glass, Wood
Early 19th Century Italian Giltwood Mirror
Antique Early 19th Century Italian Baroque
19th Century Italian Baroque Carved Mirror
Antique Mid-19th Century European Baroque Revival
19th Century French Ripple Style Oval Mirror wi...
Antique Late 19th Century French
Directoire Mercury Glass Mirror with Original G...
Antique 19th Century French
Mercury Glass, Giltwood