Pair of Mid Century Modern Night Tables by Lane C 1965
About the Item
- Creator:Lane Furniture (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 22.25 in (56.52 cm)Width: 26 in (66.04 cm)Depth: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1965
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor fading.
- Seller Location:Port Jervis, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU958628745652
When the first iteration of the Lane Furniture company began to produce its now-famous Lane cedar chests in the early 20th century, the family behind the brand was unsure of how successful they’d be, so they initially didn’t bother adding their name to the offerings.
The manufacturer was off to a modest start but the family was industrious: The Lanes were made up of farmers and contractors who’d built more than 30 miles of the Virginian railroad. They owned a cotton mill and purchased thousands of acres of land in Campbell County, Virginia, where the Virginian railroad was intended to cross the main line of the Southern Railway. The Lanes intended to start a town in this region of the state, and by 1912, streets for the town of Altavista had been laid out and utility lines were installed. In the spring of that year, John Lane purchased a defunct box factory at a bankruptcy auction. His son, Edward Hudson Lane, was tasked with the manufacturing of the cedar “hope” chests for which the Lane family would become known, even though the company was initially incorporated as the Standard Red Cedar Chest Company.
The Standard Red Cedar Chest Company struggled in its early days but introduced an assembly system at its small factory after securing a contract with the federal government to produce ammunition boxes made of pine during World War I. The company prospered and applied mass-production methods to its cedar-chest manufacturing after the war, and, in 1922, rebranding as the Lane Company, it implemented a national advertising campaign to market its products. Ads tied the company’s strong cedar hope chests to romance. Anchored by copy that read “The gift that starts the home,” the campaign rendered a Lane cedar chest a necessary purchase for young women to store linens, clothing and keepsakes as they prepared to marry.
Wartime production during World War II had Lane producing aircraft parts. In the 1950s, the family-owned company began to branch out into manufacturing tables, bedroom pieces and other various furnishings for the entire home. The brand’s vintage mid-century furniture is highly sought after.
Lane’s Acclaim walnut furniture line, which, designed by Andre Bus, has been compared to Drexel’s Declaration series for its blend of modern furniture’s clean contours and traditional craftsmanship. Ads for the Lane series suggested that it included “probably the best-selling table in the world.” (There are end tables, cocktail tables and more in the Acclaim collection, sporting graceful tapered legs and dovetail inlays.) Later, during the 1960s, Lane offered handsome modular wall units designed by the likes of Paul McCobb. Today, the company is owned by United Furniture Industries and is particularly well-known for its upholstered furniture.
Vintage Lane furniture is generally characterized by relatively neutral styles, which are versatile in different kinds of interiors, as well as good quality woods and careful manufacturing. All of these attributes have made Lane one of the most recognizable names in American furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Port Jervis, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Mid Century Modern Ebonized Walnut Night Tables Michael Taylor for BakerBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Port Jervis, NYFabulous simple and elegant pair of Ebonized with walnut panels and brass hardware features. Beautifully restored, these tables offer great storage space in a quality made piece. Mic...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Danish Rosewood & Black Lacquer Nightstands C1970Located in Port Jervis, NYFabulous pair of Mid-Century Modern Sculptural Scandinavian Rosewood and Black Lacquer nightstands. Two drawers & a opening for having a space at the ready. In excellent vintage cond...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern Night StandsMaterials
Rosewood, Oak, Paint, Lacquer
- Pair of Mid Century Modern Diamond Front Walnut Night Tables by Albert ParvinLocated in Port Jervis, NYFabulous pair of walnut diamond faceted single door night stands with an interior shelf. In excellent vintage condition with minimal wear. Such a beautiful design, push button doors ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- 2 Pairs of Mid-Century Modern Stone Top Walnut Side End Tables, c1965Located in Port Jervis, NYFabulous pair of Mid-Century Modern Stone top end side tables. Black walnut with a composite stone insert. In excellent vintage condition with minimal wear. 2 pairs available. Sold a...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Pair of Mid Century Modern Style Walnut Chrome Cantilevered End, Night TablesBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Port Jervis, NYFabulous and well constructed top quality pair of Walnut end tables with chromed steel supports. Would also work as night stands. Perfect blend of walnut and chrome. Large surface ar...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Pair of Edmond Spence Mid-Century Modern Night Tables, Made in SwedenBy Edmond J. SpenceLocated in Port Jervis, NYFabulous pair of night tables by Edmond Spence. Stamped on bottom, made in Sweden factory #14. Cases are made of walnut with birch pulls in excellent vintage condition. Have been wel...Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern End Tables by Lane FurnitureBy Lane FurnitureLocated in Brooklyn, NYPair of single drawer, two-tier chrome and walnut end tables by Lane. A sleek design with a finished back and dovetailed drawers. This pair of vinta...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Lane Rhythm Collection Walnut End Tables a PairBy Lane FurnitureLocated in Topeka, KSClassic Mid-Century Modern pair of end tables by Lane Furniture for their Rhythm Collection comprised of walnut and brass plated metal hardware. Beautiful condition, keeping in mind that these are vintage and not new so will have signs of use and wear. There are two small light spots on the top and we have done light re-staining on all finished surfaces. Please see photos and zoom in for details. We attempt to portray any imperfections. Circa, 1964. Yes, you are seeing double!! What a fabulous pair of Lane Rhythm Collection...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Lane Furniture Mid-Century TablesBy Lane FurnitureLocated in Brooklyn, NYPair of mid-century end tables by Lane Furniture. Oak wood grain with tile motif drawers. Please confirm location NY or NJCategory
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Pair of Refinished Post-Modern Nightstands or End Tables by Lane, c 1980, SignedBy Thayer Coggin, Milo Baughman, Lane FurnitureLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis pair of refinished nightstands which also function great as end tables or small chests / cabinets are by Lane and very similar to the 'Less...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern "Stacatto" Night Stands by LaneBy Lane FurnitureLocated in Los Angeles, CATransforming a piece of Mid-Century Modern furniture is like bringing history back to life, and we take this journey with passion and precision. With over 17 years of artisanal exper...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Pair Johnson Mid Century Modern Walnut Night Stands End TableBy John Stuart, Johnson Furniture Co.Located in Rockaway, NJPair of very nice mid century modern walnut nightstands by Johnson Furniture Company for John Stuart. One drawer cube shape walnut cabinets.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery