A large French traveling or steamer trunk in wood, leather and oil cloth, from the early 1900s. The pine bands along the front, top and back, as well as the outside oil cloth are stained a rich, medium brown. Leather strips CAP the outer edges and are secured with hundreds of tiny brass tacks, echoing the larger brass tacks in the pine bands. Brass hinges, reinforcements and corner caps add visual interest, and three functioning, attractive draw bolts are situated along the front. Large leather handles are attached to the side for ease of lifting. One side of the trunk bears black stenciled initials "L D". The inside is poplar lined with cream colored burlap. A great red leather satchel is attached to the inner lid and its flanked by two original manufacturer's tags that translate to "Travel Product Factory, Breuil, Town Hall Square, St. Etienne, Hunting and Leather Goods". This piece would make a marvelous coffee table.
- Place of origin
- Date of manufactureEarly 1900s
- Materials and techniques
- ConditionGood. Wear on leather handles. One crack in the brass strapping at back, it is stable. Some cracking, a few tears on the oil cloth. Burlap inside has some wear and age discoloration. A few small brass tacks are missing, as are the original inner drawers..
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
H 22.00 in. x W 40.50 in. x D 21.00 in.
H 55.88 cm x W 102.87 cm x D 53.34 cm
- Seller locationAustin, TX
- Seller reference number17066
- Reference numberLU86907695093
About the Seller
1stdibs seller since 2009
Typical response time: 1 hr
Located in Austin, TX
You may also contact the seller by phone
Why Shop on 1stdibs?
Only Vetted, Professional Sellers
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Fully Insured Global Deliveries
More From This Seller
You May Also Like