- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hollywood Regency Tessellated Marble Trunk or Side Table by Maitland Smith
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Maker)
- DimensionsHeight: 23 in. (58.42 cm)Width: 26 in. (66.04 cm)Depth: 19 in. (48.26 cm)
- StyleHollywood Regency (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1980s
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1273226492892
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Maker
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Italian Travertine Marble End Tables or Side TablesLocated in Philadelphia, PAA handsome modern pair of end tables from the 1970s and made in Italy. These feature 100% travertine construction and are extremely heavy and well made. Price includes the pair.Category
Vintage 1970s European Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Italian Travertine Marble and Glass Cocktail or Side TableLocated in Philadelphia, PAA chic and modern designed side table or cocktail table made in Italy, circa 1978. This table consists of heavy a heavy thick travertine base with a floating clear piece of glass. Ve...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Italian Mid-Century Post-Modern Sottsass Style Side Table of Concrete and SteelBy Ettore SottsassLocated in Philadelphia, PAThis table has all the Classic elements of the Postmodern style taking disparate elements and combining them in a new form to make an ingenious design. Glass, cement, enameled steel.Category
Mid-20th Century European Post-Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Midcentury Italian Postmodern Concrete Table or Floor Cat SculptureLocated in Philadelphia, PAThis is a very cool postmodern cat sculpture from the 1990s. It features a heavy concrete main structure with patinated copper detailing. Unsigned.Category
1990s Italian Post-Modern Mounted ObjectsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Walnut Dining Chairs after Paul McCobb or Gio PontiBy Ico Parisi, Gio Ponti, Paul McCobbLocated in Philadelphia, PAA beautiful and interesting set of dining chairs made by Heywood Wakefield. A very nice minimalistic look created out of solid walnut. Armchairs measure H 40 W 23 D 19. In the sty...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s Dutch Hollywood Regency Side Tables
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Side Tables
Vintage 1980s American Neoclassical Dining Room Tables
21st Century and Contemporary Brazilian Coffee and Cocktail Tables
2010s American Modern Side Tables
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1970s Belgian Hollywood Regency Side Tables
Metal, Gold Plate
Vintage 1970s French Hollywood Regency Side Tables
2010s South African Modern Side Tables
Marble, Steel, Brass
Vintage 1970s Asian Chinese Export End Tables
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery