Items Similar to Fish Carved Folk Art Armchair, American, 19th Century View More
Fish Carved Folk Art Armchair, American, 19th Century
A highly unusual and beautifully made 19th century American Folk Art hand carved mahogany open armchair with back, newly upholstered with blue and white striped ticking and down loose seat cushion. The cresting at the top of the back of the chair is in the form of two crisply carved fish facing one another. The down swept arms are entirely carved with well detailed fish scales, with fish tails at the top and fish heads at the terminals of each arm. The circular seat is supported by 4 cabriole legs, all carved entirely with fish scale decoration and with projecting dorsal fins at the knees, front and back. The form of this chair is similar to a French Louis XV medallion back armchair, but the decoration and craftsmanship are uniquely American, the work of a skilled artist who made this rare chair as a piece of functional sculpture. While it is mid-19th century in date, the clean lines and clear, crisp carving have a modern feel. We think this chair would be a beautiful accent chair in any room or entry.
- Of the Period
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1850
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsNewly upholstered. Structurally sound. Old masonry added under seat for reinforcement. It is very solid.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 36.75 in. x W 24.5 in. x D 22 in.H 93.35 cm x W 62.23 cm x D 55.88 cm
- Seat Height15.5 in. (39.37 cm)
- Seller LocationEssex, MA
- Reference NumberLU837713049802
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 3 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2007
Located in Essex, MA
You may also contact the seller by phoneCall seller through 1stdibs
More From This Seller
Folk Art Hand Carved Wood Cat Sculpture
Antique Late 19th Century American Folk Art Animal Sculptures
A beautifully hand carved wood folk art sculpture of a cat, in oak, resting, with alert expression, on a rectangular plinth, American, circa 1890-1900.
Folk Art Hand Carved Terra Cotta Squirrel Sculp...
Early 20th Century American Folk Art Animal Sculptures
A hand made, American folk art carved and well modeled terra cotta sculpture of a squirrel, on its two hind legs nibbling on an acorn, on a square plinth base.
Two 19th Century Cast Iron Coal Irons
Antique Mid-19th Century American Victorian Sculptures and Carvings
Two 19th century sculptural and decorative cast iron coal irons, one decorated with a lion's head, the other with a rooster's head, of typicalform with flip-top to store coal inside ...
19th Century American Rainbow Striped Flat-Weav...
Antique 1880s American Folk Art More Carpets
A 19th century American flat-weave wool and cotton carpet, double sided, in vibrant rainbow hued stripes on a cream colored field, in 2 sections sewn together (as originally made), w...