Paul McCobb "X" Base Brass Stools, Pair
About the Item
- Creator:Paul McCobb (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)Width: 21 in (53.34 cm)Depth: 21 in (53.34 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:20th Century
- Condition:Reupholstered. Wear consistent with age and use. new nubby fabric top and great patina to brass bases.
- Seller Location:East Hampton, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: Gustavo Olivieri 20th C.1stDibs: LU832834147302
You could call Paul McCobb a man of parts. As a furniture designer, his work combined the attributes of many of his now better-known peers. Like Bauhaus designers such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Marcel Breuer, McCobb's furniture had purity of form and line. Like the designs of Florence Knoll and George Nelson and his associates, McCobb’s work was efficient and purposeful. And even like George Nakashima, he was adept at interpreting traditional forms, in particular those of chairs, for the 20th century.
More than any other designer beside Russel Wright, with his ubiquitous ceramic tableware, McCobb was arguably responsible for the introduction of modern design into middle-class American households — if for no other reason than that he designed the 1952 set for the original Today show. McCobb also designed cohesive lines of furnishings, such as his best-known Planner Group, that gave homes an instant “look.” McCobb designed for several companies, most notably Directional, the New York firm that also produced designs by other legends, such as Paul Evans and Vladimir Kagan.
The signal aesthetic attribute of McCobb designs is that he completely forsook ornament — his pieces have no flourishes. And yet, because they are honest — the chairs, desks and tables are made of solid wood, usually maple or birch, often paired with frames and legs of wrought iron; the cabinets are traditionally scaled; the seating pieces have historic antecedents such as the Windsor chair — McCobb’s mid-century modern work has warmth and presence.
As you can see from the offerings on 1stDibs, vintage Paul McCobb designs are the pin-striped suit, or the little black dress, of a décor: an essential.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: North Miami, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Brass Trapezoid Shape Stools/ Benches, PairLocated in East Hampton, NYThis wonderful pair of trapezoid shaped brass stools/ benches/ ottomans - with a whimsical new furry upholstery in a neutral tone are VERY comfortable and easy to move around for add...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern BenchesMaterials
- Vintage Paul McCobb Two-Tone Planner Chairs, PAIRBy Paul McCobbLocated in East Hampton, NYBeautifully lacquered in two tones, white and natural wood in brown stain. We have a second similar pair of McCobb chairs that can make a lovely set of ...Category
Vintage 1950s American ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Paul McCobb Two-Toned Planner Chairs, PAIRBy Paul McCobbLocated in East Hampton, NYThis is a pair of two-toned, white and brown stained wood, Planner chairs designed by Paul McCobb. There is a second pair of McCobb chairs in similar two-tone that would complement b...Category
Vintage 1950s American ChairsMaterials
- Studio Made Heavy Teak Stools - Manner of Jeanneret (2 Pairs Available)Located in East Hampton, NYWell hand crafted solid teak wood, very well proportioned single stools. Total of 4 avilable, Sold in Pairs only. Beautiful water resistant cane seat.Category
- Italian Artisan Crafted Brass and Velvet Benches on Casters, '4 Avail'Located in East Hampton, NYPersimmon colored silk velvet on a fully hand crafted brass clad on wood base + casters for easy movement. The European screws throughout this amazing bench/ ottoman is eye-catching....Category
Late 20th Century Italian Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Extra Long Heavy Vintage Maple Wood Slatted BenchBy Charlotte PerriandLocated in East Hampton, NYA French extra long thick block maple wood slatted bench in the Charlotte Perriand style.Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Paul McCobb Brass X-Base Stools- a PairBy Paul McCobbLocated in West Palm Beach, FLPair of Paul Mccobb brass x-base stools. Reupholstered in an earth toned boucle. Beautiful patina to the brass frame. A few hairline fractures near the bottoms of the legs typical wi...Category
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Pair of Mid-century Paul McCobb Bench or StoolsBy Paul McCobbLocated in BROOKLYN, NYAll original mid-century Paul Mccobb stools. When placed together make a bench. Original and unrestored. Price for the pairCategory
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Pair of New Red Upholstery Square Brass Frames Benches Stools by Paul McCobbBy Paul McCobbLocated in Rockaway, NJPair of Mid-Century Modern brass benches by Paul McCobb.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Paul McCobb Brass X-Form Leather BenchBy Paul McCobb, Calvin FurnitureLocated in Hanover, MASolid brass square bar x-form bench seat by Paul McCobb for Calvin Furniture with black leatherette upholstered seat with raised sides and inset brass trimmed handles. 26" H X 28 1/2...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Paul McCobb Calvin Attr. Mid-Century Modern StoolBy Paul McCobbLocated in New York, NYPaul McCobb (American, 1917-1969) for Calvin attributed Mid-Century Modern stool, metal frame with stretchers, with grey leather upholstery. Dealer: S138XXCategory
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery