Signed Pedro Friedeberg Butterfly Chair an Exceptional Example
About the Item
- Creator:Pedro Friedeberg (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 34 in (86.36 cm)Width: 21 in (53.34 cm)Depth: 23 in (58.42 cm)Seat Height: 17.5 in (44.45 cm)
- Style:Post-Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2006
- Condition:Very few signs of wear.
- Seller Location:Kansas City, MO
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU105705203053
The sculptor and painter Pedro Friedeberg works in a richly detailed, Surrealist and eccentric artistic style that blends influences from neoclassical art, M.C. Escher and native Mesoamerican symbolism. He is best known for his Hand chair — a functional sculpture that is an icon of design-as-art.
Friedeberg was born in Florence to German parents and moved with his mother to Mexico at the outset of World War II. As a university student in Mexico City in the 1950s, he initially studied architecture, but his designs for fantastical buildings ran afoul of his rationalist, Bauhaus-oriented teachers.
By chance, Friedeberg’s drawings came to the attention of Mathias Goeritz, the German-born Dadaist painter and sculptor. He encouraged Friedeberg and made him a protégé. Friedeberg credits his mentor for instilling in him a fanatical attention to detail in his work. Friedeberg produced his first Hand chair in 1961, and has since created numerous iterations. He has also made several variants using other human limbs in different functional forms such as tables and clocks.
While Friedeberg’s sculptures have a gentle character that is sometimes described as spiritual, his paintings and prints are something entirely different. He employs deep perspective to create hypnotic, painstakingly rendered canvases that suggest rooms and cityscapes.
Whatever the medium, Friedeberg’s work is arresting and instantly recognizable. The Hand chair, though familiar, remains a captivating piece — both furniture and artwork — that stands apart in any interior. Examples are often priced between $20,000 and $30,000, depending on formal variations (such as a foot-shaped pedestal), material and condition. Smaller functional items such as tabletop clocks bring about $9,000. His paintings and drawings require space; they are meant to be contemplated. Prices on original examples start at about $30,000; prints generally sell in the region of $900.
As you will see on 1stDibs, the art and design of Pedro Friedeberg is singular and memorable.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kansas City, MO
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- One of a Kind Pedro Friedeberg Hands and Ties Chair Gold LeafBy Pedro FriedebergLocated in Kansas City, MOThis is an extremely rare opportunity. One off chair by artist and designer Pedro Friedeberg. This stunning chair is upholstered in Mr. Friedeberg's own personal neck ties. 17 hand-c...Category
2010s Mexican Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pedro Friedeberg Drawing "Muñeco", Mexico City, SignedBy Pedro FriedebergLocated in Kansas City, MOSmall mixed-media drawing by the great Pedro Friedeberg, titled "Muñeco" 1960s. Signed in ink, with gallery label on the back (Galleria Iturbide. Mexico City). See photos.Category
Vintage 1960s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Contemporary ArtMaterials
- Pedro Friedeberg Snake Bar / Server / Table / Candle Holder / Sculpture, SignedBy Pedro FriedebergLocated in Kansas City, MOPedro Friedeberg Snake bar, Mexico, c. 1970s. Made of carved and gilt wood, antique statuary, and glass. The stretched out hands hold the round removable glass tray and the upper han...Category
Vintage 1970s Mexican Post-Modern Dry BarsMaterials
- Frank Gehry Power Play Chair and Ottoman for Knoll, Signed, Great ConditionBy Knoll, Frank GehryLocated in Kansas City, MOPower play chair and ottoman designed by Frank Gehry for Knoll in very close to new condition. There are no chips, cracks or repairs to the wood slats...Category
1990s American Post-Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Ron Arad Bad Tempered Chair #29/1000 for Vitra, 2002, Carbon Fiber, SignedBy Vitra, Ron AradLocated in Kansas City, MORon Arad "Bad Tempered" chair, by Vitra, number 29 of an edition of 1000, die-cut sheets of carbon and Kevlar laminates, fastened by bolts with wing nuts,...Category
Early 2000s German Post-Modern ChairsMaterials
- Pedro Friedeberg Silver Hand ChairBy Pedro FriedebergLocated in West Palm Beach, FLPedro Friedeberg silver leaf hand chair. Signature below.Category
Vintage 1960s Mexican ChairsMaterials
- Pedro Friedeberg Style “Hand” ChairBy Pedro FriedebergLocated in Doylestown, PAA nice early “Hand” chair circa 1970, after the artist Pedro Friedeberg, carved in walnut with a nice patina and details. Nice smaller scale - would make a cool desk chair.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Pedro Friedeberg Hand Chair in Solid Honduran Mahogany 1960s SignedBy Pedro FriedebergLocated in Dallas, TXThis beautiful golden brown Pedro Friedeberg hand chair was commissioned in the 1960s and is crafted of solid Honduran Mahogany. In 1961 when Pedro was working with artist Mathias G...Category
Mid-20th Century Mexican Mid-Century Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Pedro Friedeberg Iconic Wood Hand Chair, 1960sBy Pedro FriedebergLocated in Brussels, BEThis beautiful golden brown Pedro Friedeberg hand chair was commissioned in the 1960s and is crafted of solid Honduran Mahogany. In 1961 when Pedro was working with artist Mathias Go...Category
Mid-20th Century Mexican Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Pedro Friedeberg Mano Mariposa ChairBy Pedro FriedebergLocated in West Palm Beach, FLAn early example of an iconic butterfly form.Beautifully hand painted and signed by the artist. A copy of the original receipt and correspondence.Category
Vintage 1970s Mexican Side Chairs