- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 Dakota Jackson Library Dining Side Chair
- CreatorDakota Jackson (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 32.75 in. (83.19 cm)Width: 19.5 in. (49.53 cm)Depth: 23 in. (58.42 cm)Seat Height: 17.75 in. (45.09 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1980-2000
- ConditionRefinished. Very good.
- Seller LocationPasadena, TX
- Reference NumberSeller: MR119921stDibs: U12072786711391
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Pasadena, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Today, Dakota Jackson’s luxury chairs, sofas, tables and other pieces are known for their stylish and expressive forms, so it’s perhaps not a surprise that the American contemporary furniture designer has spent a lifetime immersed in the arts.
Born to a family of professional magicians, Jackson was raised in a household that had a flair for the dramatic. A young Dakota moved to Manhattan and mingled with the bustling creative scene. There, he studied minimalist dance at multiple companies, performed with an experimental theater group and worked in special effects. His fascination with illusion and drama seeped into his creative inclinations, especially when he decided to shift his artistic energy toward furniture.
Jackson’s foray into design began in the 1970s when he got his hands dirty during the build-out of his loft apartment in New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood back when lofts weren’t quite the heavenly residences of today. He constructed his own walls and bathroom fixtures and worked with a variety of materials that included lacquered wood, leather and chrome-plated steel, crafting intriguing seating and case pieces that would later end up in museums. (His famed Library chair is part of the collection at Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum.)
Jackson’s work became so well known throughout the buzzing art scene that he garnered the attention of reputable antique dealers who enlisted him to restore their own pieces of furniture. In 1974, Yoko Ono became a client. She commissioned Jackson to design a desk for John Lennon’s birthday. After he finished the former Beatle’s custom piece — an unconventional Art Deco–style writing desk that mirrored a Chinese puzzle box with secret compartments and hidden drawers — celebrities flocked to Jackson like bees to honey, and his name became synonymous with immaculate craftsmanship as well as the era’s radical American Art Furniture movement, which drew on Surrealism, Pop art and other traditions.
Even Belgian fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg asked Jackson to create the now-famous Eclipse bed, a sensual, striking structure framed in glossy cherrywood and upholstered in satin. In 1978, the lifelong arts lover paired a piano factory with his furniture manufacturing company and collaborated with Steinway & Sons on the design of several limited-edition pianos over the years. Today, Dakota Jackson, Inc., counts massive corporations among his clients and continues to design new collections.
Find a collection of Dakota Jackson furniture on 1stDibs.
- By Hickory Chair Furniture CompanyLocated in Pasadena, TXHickory One Hickory Furniture Traditional armchair Suitable for dining or guest usage, these chairs display tr...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Regency Revival Side ChairsMaterials
Walnut$380 Sale Price / item20% Off
- By Widdicomb Furniture Co., T.H. Robsjohn-GibbingsLocated in Pasadena, TXA set of two dining chairs designed by T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings and made by Widdicomb. Bleached mahogany frames w...Category
Vintage 1950s American Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- By Design Institute AmericaLocated in Pasadena, TXA set of six mid century modern dining chairs made by Design Institute of America by Milo Baughman. Flat bar ch...Category
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Chrome$1,900 / set
- By Finn JuhlLocated in Pasadena, TXA set of four mid century modern dining chairs designed by Finn Juhl and made by France and Son. Model 197 with...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Teak$4,900 / set
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
21st Century and Contemporary American Dining Room Chairs
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1970s Art Deco Side Chairs
Late 20th Century American Side Chairs
21st Century and Contemporary Vietnamese Country Dining Room Chairs
2010s American Modern Dining Room Chairs
2010s American Modern Dining Room Chairs
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery